Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Same, Better or Worse?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure they'd be better but they wouldn't be as enraging to watch.

Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Same, Better Worse!
    That's the Raptors curse
    They never get much better
    They just don't get much worse

Draft day lottery balls
    The Rap's selection falls
    They never seem to move up
    Their back's against the walls

Time to pull the plug
    And move the ball hog slug
    And get JV some touches
    Or else out he will bug

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

They'll probably do worse but they're one of the sure candidates to tank for wiggins/parker. But since there's less expectation, your blood pressure will not rise as they will still be very entertaining to watch w/ great ball movement and balanced offense with jose throwing alley-oops to the wings and bigs.

ed davis was becoming a solid 4, and was the main reason bc didn't draft drummond. bc ruined this franchise on his way out unfortunately.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 2KJ wrote: View Post
    ed davis was becoming a solid 4, and was the main reason bc didn't draft drummond. bc ruined this franchise on his way out unfortunately.
    That is another example of Raptor fans over valuing the players that this team has ... Ed Davis becoming a SOLID 4 !!! Really ??!! What is he doing right now ? Is he a solid 4 now ? Is he even a solid bench player now ??

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    That is another example of Raptor fans over valuing the players that this team has ... Ed Davis becoming a SOLID 4 !!! Really ??!! What is he doing right now ? Is he a solid 4 now ? Is he even a solid bench player now ??
    Context buddy. He's playing behind Zach Randolph now.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    We'd be worse. Calderon has dropped off quite a bit since the trade and Davis is not as good as Johnson. The team we are fielding this year is actually a pretty big improvement from the last few years from a talent perspective. Their problems have mostly been system related so far.
    Clearly, you're only looking at stats, and nothing else. In Detroit, the wings can't hit shots, Monroe generates his own offence and drummond played limited minutes under Lawrence Frank. Now that he's in Dallas, his assist totals are down because he's playing with Monta, who's a ball dominant combo guard. While Dirk is a great pick and pop player as well as spot up shooter, he gets his fair share of iso plays so again, fewer opportunities for Calderon to rack up assists. If you're looking at his stats, you should realize that he's taking and making a career high in 3s this season and that's because he's being used more as a spot up shooter in dallas.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer to have that first lineup right now. Definitely not as good defensively, IMO, but that lineup would probably have much better ball movement and would be a hell of a lot more fun to watch. I wouldn't expect that lineup to do any better than our current team, but what difference does that make, we are heading for the lottery anyway by the way it's looking. Better off fishing for draft picks with a decent young core going forward, than with Gay's crazy contract and Lowry due for a raise.

Plus, don't discount the value of more playing time and more touches to guys like Ross, JV, and even Davis. I liked Davis and wish he was still here. I was kind of on the fence with the Gay trade when it happened, but looking back I think it was a really really bad move. We would be in much much better position going forward with the lineup prior to the Rudy trade. However, BC could still be here if that was the case. Pro's and con's either way.

Post Thanks / Like

He's been great whenever given minutes

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ed Davis on a rookie contract - good.

Ed Davis on an extension - scary.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

Exactly. Ed Davis is nothing but a run of the mill grinder, a decent player who will carve out a full length NBA career...as a bench player. The fact that people are still lamenting his loss like he was some beacon of light for Toronto is pretty hilarious.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Exactly. Ed Davis is nothing but a run of the mill grinder, a decent player who will carve out a full length NBA career...as a bench player. The fact that people are still lamenting his loss like he was some beacon of light for Toronto is pretty hilarious.
    I don't think anyone thinks that. Most of us are well aware of Davis's limitations, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be a decent player off the bench.

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    I don't think anyone thinks that. Most of us are well aware of Davis's limitations, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be a decent player off the bench.
    Yes but a "decent player off the bench" is not all that hard to find. We've had many. Let's start worrying about having a top 20 player...haven't had that since Wince.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Remember though, it's a desire to have Ed Davis (rookie contract deal with another season's worth of developing while actually playing heavy minutes with the Raptors) VS being stuck with Gay's contract (that doesn't even mention what could have been done with the cap space the Raptors would have been left with when Calderon's deal expired).

Gay is an albatross contract that likely weighs down whatever his true trade value would be. Davis would not only be a contributor to the team, but would likely be a much more valuable trade chip, given his rookie-scale deal.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    He's been great whenever given minutes
    Not true. The numbers are there and he is not even close to be considered a SOLID 3rd big man off the bench yet. He has a long way to go based on the numbers that he is putting up.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Context buddy. He's playing behind Zach Randolph now.
    I know he is but even off the bench, he has not been consistent or very productive.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

I agree with you 100% ... How much BC would have given Ed for extension ? I was a big fan of Ed and I thought he will blossom in Memphis and have been following him closely but so far, he has proven me WRONG.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know he is but even off the bench, he has not been consistent or very productive.
    He's getting chances to start recently because of Randolph's injury. They play the Suns tonight.. relatively weak team to say the least, especially up front. Should be a good game for him.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

Thread Information