No announcement yet.

Koreen: Should the Raptors move DD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You gotta move Demar, it's the whole basis of Sell High. You trade him when he's playing well, of course it's going to suck a little but if he was playing at a level where we wanted him to get traded (ex. Rudy Gay) that would also mean he's playing at a level where no one would want to trade for him.

Trading is a two-way street and right now you could probably convince another team to give you a pretty good return (young player plus mid-first, or just a lottery first) for him.

Someone else pointed out that if Demar is gone Rudy's number will likely go up as well since he becomes the only scorer on the team, that way it makes it easier to trade Rudy as well later.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
      I've wondered the same. Nonetheless, I would still want Gay to be traded first, at the least, just to see what Derozan would be like as the #1. I don't think he is a legit #1, but spending some time in that role may be good for his development, but again, it could be bad. I'd like to see Derozan stay, but I am not attached to him and if he has to go then so be it. Ultimately, like was said in the article, it may be best for both him and the franchise if he was traded, but especially for him in my mind.
      If he did more than score, I'd be all for seeing what he does - maybe he did turn the corner offensively and he is capable of being a #1 without an equal threat next to him.

However because he does little else other than score consistently, I think it is too great of a risk.... but that is just my opinion.

Comment

I would trade DD in a heartbeat for G 'Po:

“He’s 6-9 and 18 years old and, where his skill level is right now, you just don’t see that much,” Drew said. “He does some intriguing things when he’s out on the floor. We just have to continue to develop him. We have to continue to allow him to grow.”

Not only is Antetokounmpo’s game growing, so is his body. When the Bucks drafted him in June, he was 6-9. Now, just more than five months later, he has added more than an inch to his lanky frame.

“I am now 6-10 and one quarter,” Antetokounmpo said smiling.

He then paused before adding, “I still have 3½ years to grow.”

Indeed, doctors have informed Antetokounmpo and Bucks officials that the former’s growth plate is still open. In all likelihood, he’ll become a 7-footer.

For now, Antetokounmpo is content with his role with the Bucks. He believes he’s on track to fulfilling the Bucks’ high expectations, saying he’s already become acclimated to the fast and furious lifestyle of the NBA on and off the court.

Asked if he was intimidated playing in the NBA against more mature and more established players, Antetokounmpo said, “Intimidated? No. I was at the beginning (of the season) scared but not anymore. I am more comfortable and more aggressive.”

Antetokounmpo wore jersey No. 11 while playing in Greece but now dons 34. The reason?

“I picked 34 because my mother was born in 1963 and my father was born in 1964,” Antetokounmpo said. “I picked that number because of them.”

http://journaltimes.com/sports/baske...a4bcf887a.html

Comment

ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
          I would move DeMar ONLY for something of same value of a player/picks or more, because from what I'm seeing, he still has much room to grow despite the great growth already - three-point shot, defense, ball-handling, IQ.

Like isaacthompson, he's the one guy on this team that I am emotionally attached with, and I would be very sad to see him go. I personally think that he is an asset not in a trade, but an asset for this
          I say JV, DeMar, and Ross are all untouchables. If we blow everything up, these are the only three I would hope to stay, everyone else in my mind can be dealt.
          I agree with your sediments but finding a suitor for DD will be easier than finding one for Gay. BC really did screw us. I would love to have Ed Davis back.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
            You gotta move Demar, it's the whole basis of Sell High. You trade him when he's playing well, of course it's going to suck a little but if he was playing at a level where we wanted him to get traded (ex. Rudy Gay) that would also mean he's playing at a level where no one would want to trade for him.

Trading is a two-way street and right now you could probably convince another team to give you a pretty good return (young player plus mid-first, or just a lottery first) for him.

Someone else pointed out that if Demar is gone Rudy's number will likely go up as well since he becomes the only scorer on the team, that way it makes it easier to trade Rudy as well later.
            Good point.

Comment

Small sample size warning!!!!!!!!!!! but Derozan has done this year what most people were crying out for him to do: he's knocking down threes, he's getting to the line, he's increased his AST%. His TS% and EFG are still too low and he's still shooting too much but it's not disastrous. He's also been fairly consistent through the first month, which is something he has struggled with in the past.

In short, I'm not opposed to trading anyone on this roster if the return is right but, having said that, I don't think trading Derozan helps short term and he's a guy you can live with long term with a better group of players around him.

Comment

building around JV and DeMar I think is a good idea especially if DeMar is finally turning the corner.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  Small sample size warning!!!!!!!!!!! but Derozan has done this year what most people were crying out for him to do: he's knocking down threes, he's getting to the line, he's increased his AST%. His TS% and EFG are still too low and he's still shooting too much but it's not disastrous. He's also been fairly consistent through the first month, which is something he has struggled with in the past.

In short, I'm not opposed to trading anyone on this roster if the return is right but, having said that, I don't think trading Derozan helps short term and he's a guy you can live with long term with a better group of players around him.
                  Bold1: Bingo.
                  He's also done these types of things in the past.
                  How many times has the Raptors broadcast crew highlighted DD against all 2nd year players in his 2nd year; FTA over previous 5-10 games; and now it is points.

Bold 2: Nothing with this team should be about the short term.

Comment

I'm sorry but fuck no.

If this is a rebuild, why jettison a guy who is cheap and good????

Everyone else can go, JV and DD are who you keep ffsakes.

Ugh.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Contrary to popular belief, I don't hate DeRozan. I certainly don't like aspects of his game but that does not mean I hate the guy.

I do think Koreen is on to something here for both DeRozan's benefit and the franchise.

The main issue for me is what happens to DD if he is the #1 option without the presence of Rudy on perimeter? In past years it was awful. Has he turned a corner? Is he putting up these numbers vs the opponents best perimeter defender or is that player guarding Rudy?

For the Raptors it is a huge gamble to keep him based on thinking the above has changed.... especially if he has value around the league.
                      Grass is always greener in pro sports Matt, don't forget that.

Apprecite what a guy can do, look at his hit, and then assess. You have a guy, that is clearly in top ten of 2 guards in the NBA, who is cheap, young, hard working, and loyal. Why do you cut him when you are looking to go young and rebuild a cheap, young, hard working and loyal new culture?

There is more to it than a few stats, there is way more. So, like you mentioned, everyone has a price, and if they can get a top three pick for him, great, do it. If not....I dunno man, guys like him are rare in the NBA, as in, I bet most guys here could envision him on San Antonio.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                        Grass is always greener in pro sports Matt, don't forget that.

Apprecite what a guy can do, look at his hit, and then assess. You have a guy, that is clearly in top ten of 2 guards in the NBA, who is cheap, young, hard working, and loyal. Why do you cut him when you are looking to go young and rebuild a cheap, young, hard working and loyal new culture?

There is more to it than a few stats, there is way more. So, like you mentioned, everyone has a price, and if they can get a top three pick for him, great, do it. If not....I dunno man, guys like him are rare in the NBA, as in, I bet most guys here could envision him on San Antonio.
                        I've always felt Demar would be deadly as a Spur.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                          I'm sorry but fuck no.

If this is a rebuild, why jettison a guy who is cheap and good????

Everyone else can go, JV and DD are who you keep ffsakes.

Ugh.
                          I'll play devils advocate for a minute. If the return on DeRozan is something like a solid prospect or cap room + a first rounder, then that would help the rebuild too. No one wants to give DD away, but if the goal for Masai is to harvest as many picks & young assets on rookie deals then it only makes sense that the Raptors would have to part ways with some of their more valued pieces in order to achieve this. Someone said it above me but basically, you have to give up something in order to get something in return (unless you're dealing with Colangelo).

DD is relatively young and locked into a decent enough contract, therefore I don't think that you "have" to move him in the same way you do Lowry & Gay. But I wonder how he'll react to another couple years of bottoming out if that turns out to be the plan. Even the most positive and upbeat players are going to struggle with 6-7 years of prolonged losing, and we're already starting to see the cracks in his psyche this season. I think that's why Koreen frames it as a possible win-win for both DD and the Raps if he were to be moved; DeRozan finally gets on a team that will make the playoffs and the Raptors set themselves up for a rebuild.

Comment

Agreed, and Masai is trying to build the Spurs, (or at least he had better be that bastard hahaha). So why no keep your Spurs worthy pieces.

Comment

The point is that if you really want to rebuild Demar would get the best value in return. With the way Gay is playing right now trading him would prob mean some pretty disgusting contracts or even giving up picks! If you really want to tank trading Demar is the way to start, cause the team would be better off without Rudy.
                              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

dude i hear ya, but were talking about trading a neophyte star SG guy, for a CHANCE at neophyte star SG type. Do you see the flaw there?

You have to keep guys like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X