Koreen: Should the Raptors move DD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JawsGT wrote: View Post
    C'mon, you know he is worth more than that. I don't believe you believe that.
    That is MLE money.

$6.5M is my value right now.

When he starts making others around him better and playing solid D, I'll give him the extra $3M.

*DeRozan fans recognize this is my opinion and it means nothing*

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      That is MLE money.

When he starts making others around him better and playing solid D, I'll give him the extra $3M.

Fair enough, but he starts doing that stuff and you should expect a guy like that to get $12-15M per on the open market, no? I know, BC didn't allow the market to determine his value, but just for arguments sake...

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
        That's right, just like Pau Gasol who was 239-335 in Memphis from 2001-2008 as the number 1 guy. Not a winner, right? He was too soft, too Euro, not a franchise guy, not a leader, etc., etc. Oops, then he went to the Lakers and was the #2 guy on a championship team in 08/09. So much for oversimplifications in a team sport.
        But the Lakers had Kobe, Odom, Bynum and Phil Jackson. Those are the types of pieces you need to win. If DeRozan can help get the ball rolling on that, then good-bye.

Gasol then nor DeRozan now are going to win on their own.

The Lakers and the Grizz were better off parting ways.

I think the Raptors and DeRozan would be better off with a separation before it reaches a Gasol-like situation when he left Memphis:
        http://www.wmctv.com/story/5974966/p...from-grizzlies

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
          That's right, just like Pau Gasol who was 239-335 in Memphis from 2001-2008 as the number 1 guy. Not a winner, right? He was too soft, too Euro, not a franchise guy, not a leader, etc., etc. Oops, then he went to the Lakers and was the #2 guy on a championship team in 08/09. So much for oversimplifications in a team sport.

Pau Gasol. Demar Derozan. One of these things was never and will never be as good as the other.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Fair enough, but he starts doing that stuff and you should expect a guy like that to get $12-15M per on the open market, no? I know, BC didn't allow the market to determine his value, but just for arguments sake...
            And then the Raptors have a role player on a value contract or a star on a value contract.... win win. But they don't have that right now.

My hope as a fan is to see the Raptors field as competitive a team as possible. I'm not worried about DD or any other Raptor getting market value now or down the road. I want good/great contracts which is likely to lead to a good/great team.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
              Pau Gasol. Demar Derozan. One of these things was never and will never be as good as the other.
              The only comparison is you don't have to trade a guy just because he's currently the best option on a losing team. Pretty sure that's the oversimplification I read a couple times above.

I won't mind trading him for a good return, but don't feel they have to trade him, either. He is a limited player, but he's only 24 and still growing and on a sub $10 mill. contract. As has been mentioned, he'd be the third-fifth highest paid player on plenty of championship teams. Nothing wrong with that.

A rebuild doesn't mean the entire roster has to be 20 years old or an expiring vet. Plenty of room for a 24 year old who's still developing.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Link is just taking me to B-R.com mainpage.

Regardless, if DD can't lead a franchise, I'm not sure I want to be happy with my role players making what other guys make.

Great teams tend to have role players on value contracts.
                Tiago Splitter is being paid more by SA than Demar is making. I don't think Splitter is all that much more valuable.

Brandon wrote:
                Those guys pretty quickly fill up a salary cap. You can have about 6 Derozans right now. Or 3 Lebrons. I'd rather have the latter.
                KeonClark wrote: View Post
                He's pointing out how flawed your arguments are.

EDIT: I just realized you were two different people but both arguments really present nothing of worth.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

That is MLE money.

That is what I have been saying for past 2 years !!! For a guy with his athleticism , he needs to grab 6 rebounds. For his position to be elite, he should have 4-5 Assist a game and be a Solid defender. That is an important position when it comes to Defence. DD has increased his scoring but almost all NBA players can score if they are placed in the right situation. There isa reason why guys like Nick Young will never become starter for a great team because all they know is how to score.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                    Tiago Splitter is being paid more by SA than Demar is making. I don't think Splitter is all that much more valuable.
                    Splitter is a reasonably talented center and bigs get paid more. Always have, always will, because you can't teach size.

Comment

Demar is about as close to average at everything as you can get in SG right now. He's basically Jamaal Crawford, with slightly less scoring ability. Difference being about $4m more in pay. Is his potential or room for growth (at 24y/o) worth $4m? If he had some above average level of potential, he would have at least one near-elite skill by now.

Comment

Yay, another Demar contract debate.

Here are some names to consider:
                        Paul Millsap - same $ as Demar. Key contributor (30+MPG) for teams that made the playoffs 3 times (twice while he was a role player). Never had a PER less than 16 (This is Demar's only season above league average of 15).

Thaddeus Young - less $ than Demar. PER has always been higher than Demar. Scores, rebounds and helped a team to the playoffs 4 times.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                          Yay, another Demar contract debate.

Here are some names to consider:
                          Paul Millsap - same $ as Demar. Key contributor (30+MPG) for teams that made the playoffs 3 times (twice while he was a role player). Never had a PER less than 16 (This is Demar's only season above league average of 15).

Thaddeus Young - less $ than Demar. PER has always been higher than Demar. Scores, rebounds and helped a team to the playoffs 4 times.
                          Now you know as well as anyone else that anyone could pull out a dozen players that make way more than Demar but are much worse. Remember, Bargs or Hedo, how about Humphries, or Arenas?

Comment

Now you know as well as anyone else that anyone could pull out a dozen players that make way more than Demar but are much worse. Remember, Bargs or Hedo, how about Humphries, or Arenas?
                            Yes, but both guys had better stats through 4 years and signed reasonably close to Demar's extension for a comparable.

Humphries post-rookie deal was for $3.2M flat for years his per36 averages were a double double and his PER was better. His $8M deal from New Jersey was a year after he averaged 10 & 10 in 28 MPG.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

You missed the point. DD is being asked to do more than his skill set and ability should have him.... like Calderon and Bargnani and others before him.

The earliest the Raptors have legitimacy in my opinion is 2015-16 and that comes after 2 long seasons of asset collection and assuming everything goes well.
                              Do you really believe it will be that simple? Two years of tanking and we're contending? That would make it 7 years of losing. What free agents are going to sign here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                Do you really believe it will be that simple? Two years of tanking and we're contending? That would make it 7 years of losing. What free agents are going to sign here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                *insert line of explicit words right here*

Do you read my posts? At all? Nothing is a guarantee - nothing. At. All.

Try reading again:

The earliest the Raptors have legitimacy in my opinion is 2015-16 and that comes after 2 long seasons of asset collection and assuming everything goes well.

My comment was about when the Raptors become legitimate again. My interpretation was a legitimate playoff contender. Championship contender is 4+ years down the road assuming all goes well. You head in to 2015-16 with the hype of the all-star game, a young exciting core, and an 8th seed followed by all kinds of cap space for 2016. That is the goal and that assumes all goes well. The next couple of years is all about asset accumulation. If you can turn DD in to valuable assets, you do it.

But you know what I do believe?
                                This team sucks - and DD is a big part of it.
                                This team is going nowhere as currently constructed - and DD is a big part of it.
                                No one - including JV - is untouchable but JV is the closest thing they have and DD is probably the most valuable asset after him.

Comment

Working...
                                X