Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Default Sumed up my reactions to watching Casey's decisions in 1 GIF

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    Thanks for your insight. You may be wrong.
    Yes I'm sure I'm wrong. Casey is driving to drive his team's record down as far as possible on the last year of his deal.

Is this your first year with sports?

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Yes I'm sure I'm wrong. Casey is driving to drive his team's record down as far as possible on the last year of his deal.

Stay classy.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Post Thanks / Like

Hypothetical for you:

What if MU came to DC and demanded that he give minimum minutes to certain players? This could be for the development of young players (ie: JV & TR), or to showcase trade candidates (ie: Novak), or to maintain/grow the value of possible trade candidates (ie: Gay). Having a GM dictate playing time is not uncommon in sports. In that instance, by having his hands tied even a little bit, DC would essentially be coaching a tank even when coaching to win each and every game.

That's the sort of stealth tank that I could see going on, which DC would be well aware of, despite doing his best to try and actually coach to a victory.

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Hypothetical for you:

What if MU came to DC and demanded that he give minimum minutes to certain players? This could be for the development of young players (ie: JV & TR), or to showcase trade candidates (ie: Novak), or to maintain/grow the value of possible trade candidates (ie: Gay). Having a GM dictate playing time is not uncommon in sports. In that instance, by having his hands tied even a little bit, DC would essentially be coaching a tank even when coaching to win each and every game.

That's the sort of stealth tank that I could see going on, which DC would be well aware of, despite doing his best to try and actually coach to a victory.
    That is as far as I could ever see it going. Coaches try to win within the parameters they are given. It's all they know how to do.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It certainly looks as if Dc is on the tank brigade given some of the questionable decisions he has made. But it does sound way too absurd, given the last year of his contract as was pointed out above. Unless MU told him he has a guaranteed job next year as an assistant or something, Casey is coaching to prove he can coach in this league...he just isn't doing a very good job of it.

Raptors Republic Rookie Theshwa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Hypothetical for you:

I'm also starting to wonder whether MU is dictating minutes to certain players.

Hypothetical:
    I'm wondering whether it is in the opposite fashion as above, whether he is dictating max minutes/touches to DC. JV's trade value is still extremely high (arguably highest on Raptors) despite him not being involved in the offense and not contributing to wins or stat stuffing. Perhaps MU has decided that JV isn't going to be the player that everyone thinks has pegged him as. Instead of giving him heavy minutes, lots of touches, and exposing him to double teams that he can't navigate or offense responsibility he can't fulfil. He is keeping trade value high by limiting minutes until this December 15th date.

Surely there is a reason for the blatant disregard to JV by the raptors.

Raptors Republic Starter rapfan10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if we are tanking derozan definitely Isnt. If the was trying to tank he would publicly be asking for a trade. So I don't know why u guys are saying Casey is riding this tank

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    Stay classy.
    I'm sorry but he's right. Why would any coach play to lose? that's basically giving away his job...
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Coaches don't command tanks, general managers do by trading players for futures. Coaches ALWAYS try to win the fucking game. What, you think he's "coaching bad" for a draft pick? Like purposely trying to lose? That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Seriously. How would that ever do anything but harm for a team if we found coaches were actually teaching and implementing losing strategies intentionally? WOW.

Casey has one mandate: squeeze as many wins out of the roster he is given as possible. Lieweke and MU, they could be up to something else altogether, but not Casey. Ever.
    I'm not sure why you say this. Why wouldn't he "never" follow a plan he's been given?

I dn't think he's great, but I don't think he's bad, and I really don't think anyone here is better.

10. Like jimmie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I'm sorry but he's right. Why would any coach play to lose? that's basically giving away his job...
    No it isn't.

Coaches and management work together in many franchises. I have no idea why so many are so up in arms. Do NONE or you guys actually pay attention to what MU says???

He's in rebuild mode, they are looking at players in certain scenario's right now, and they are taking notes, and guess what, Dec 15 is a real number for them.

Casey is sitting just fine right now. He's towing the line and thats what he has likely been asked to do.

None of us knows for certain, but I am completely comfortable with my own opinion on this one, I don't get this stuff too wrong that often.

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, your memories are kind of short, go back to the interviews Masai gave earlier this November. He said Casey won't be judged on wins and losses, but on his ability to develop players and to form a system that is effective and have the players buy in.

Unfortunately, and this is from someone who defends coaches from some of the mouth-breathers of this particular fandom, but under this criteria he hasn't done too well yet. He got his players to play hard and we have a respectable defense, but among the players that need developing its been slow. And obviously, this team is still trying to figure things out on offense and still gets lost too often on defense.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    None of you know Basketball better than Dwayne Casey. None of you know what management is doing right now. None of you sit in on DC's meetings with his staff, personnel or GM. All of you speculate besed of a very limited base of knowledge, a little bit of fanaticism, and a lot of good ole, and VERY HEALTHY, anger for a situation that has been ongoing for more than
    Just saying.

So maybe consider that you aren't seeing everything with eyes qualified to make such strong statements about his competency.
    True. But we do see the finished product and the picture isn't pretty.

14. Like Superjudge liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rapfan10 wrote: View Post
    Even if we are tanking derozan definitely Isnt. If the was trying to tank he would publicly be asking for a trade. So I don't know why u guys are saying Casey is riding this tank

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Perhaps many hoping this is tank mode because the alternative is too scary to consider.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Perhaps many hoping this is tank mode because the alternative is too scary to consider.
    I have considered this quite a bit, and I don't like to think about it mostly because I know its possible that its true. If it is, then there ya go, 3 diff ownership groups, many coaches, many GM's, none can make it work here.....so now, tell me there isn't a disadvantage working North of the border.

Post Thanks / Like

At this point I think Casey is either the Tank Commander or just an awful coach... or maybe he's just been pounding the rock, as it were.

Thread Information