Default Sumed up my reactions to watching Casey's decisions in 1 GIF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stooley wrote: View Post
    I think Casey likes Gay. While Gay doesn't make smart choices on offense, he makes a lot of hustle plays and plays good defense. I've seen him on the ground, going after balls, multiple times.
    He dives for balls? Guys in pickup games dive for balls. Gay will make hundreds of millions over his career. Thanks for putting an effort, bud!

Our standards for pro athletes compared to regular people are sad. "Hey look, he's trying!! What an awesome guy!"
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
      None of you know Basketball better than Dwayne Casey. None of you know what management is doing right now. None of you sit in on DC's meetings with his staff, personnel or GM. All of you speculate besed of a very limited base of knowledge, a little bit of fanaticism, and a lot of good ole, and VERY HEALTHY, anger for a situation that has been ongoing for more than a decade.

Just saying.

So maybe consider that you aren't seeing everything with eyes qualified to make such strong statements about his competency.
      This is true as far as it goes, but the all-or-nothing dichotomy is a false one.

Casey knows a lot and could run circles around 99% of us in a one-on-one basketball discussion. But he hasn't descended from basketball valhalla - he's just a dude. He makes mistakes. He hasn't been an NBA head coach for very long, really. His natural bent is clearly towards the defensive end of the floor, and he's still learning how to coach on the offensive end. There are PLENTY of very, very true observations that any knowledgeable fan can make re: the effectiveness/outcomes of his coaching.

Based on what you're saying, we shouldn't have strong opinions about politics either. Stephen Harper could talk circles around 99% of us re: politics as well. I guess we should just keep voting for him again and again, since who the heck knows what goes on in those back room talks, right? Who are we to ask questions and make observations? We're not career politicians.

But we are voters, and we are paying fans. This is what we do.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
        He dives for balls? Guys in pickup games dive for balls. Gay will make hundreds of millions over his career. Thanks for putting an effort, bud!

Our standards for pro athletes compared to regular people are sad. "Hey look, he's trying!! What an awesome guy!"
        Well, however you wanna put it, guys like Melo certainly don't.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
          You missed Craig's point, which is that there may indeed be a method to Casey's madness, dictated to him from above. He may be commanding the tank behind closed doors, and pretending not to tank in public -- the way any self-respecting team goes about tanking.
          I simply cannot imagine any coach in Casey's position basically trying to lose games (or putting his team in a position to lost) when his NBA head coaching career is on the line. No one is that stupid.

Is he taking direction from above? Sure, every coach does to some degree from time to time. But those directions are strategic ones. It is impossible for a GM or owner to dictate specific tactics in every situation to his coaching staff in real time. And it is in those tactical areas where Casey fails in almost every circumstance.

There is no grand scheme from above directing Casey to lose or whatever. He is just not a good coach. There is no mystery here to solve.

Comment

Coaches don't command tanks, general managers do by trading players for futures. Coaches ALWAYS try to win the fucking game. What, you think he's "coaching bad" for a draft pick? Like purposely trying to lose? That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Seriously. How would that ever do anything but harm for a team if we found coaches were actually teaching and implementing losing strategies intentionally? WOW.

Casey has one mandate: squeeze as many wins out of the roster he is given as possible. Lieweke and MU, they could be up to something else altogether, but not Casey. Ever.
            Thanks for your insight. You may be wrong.
            Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Thanks for your insight. You may be wrong.
              Yes I'm sure I'm wrong. Casey is driving to drive his team's record down as far as possible on the last year of his deal.

Is this your first year with sports?

Comment

Yes I'm sure I'm wrong. Casey is driving to drive his team's record down as far as possible on the last year of his deal.

Stay classy.
                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Hypothetical for you:

What if MU came to DC and demanded that he give minimum minutes to certain players? This could be for the development of young players (ie: JV & TR), or to showcase trade candidates (ie: Novak), or to maintain/grow the value of possible trade candidates (ie: Gay). Having a GM dictate playing time is not uncommon in sports. In that instance, by having his hands tied even a little bit, DC would essentially be coaching a tank even when coaching to win each and every game.

That's the sort of stealth tank that I could see going on, which DC would be well aware of, despite doing his best to try and actually coach to a victory.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    Hypothetical for you:

What if MU came to DC and demanded that he give minimum minutes to certain players? This could be for the development of young players (ie: JV & TR), or to showcase trade candidates (ie: Novak), or to maintain/grow the value of possible trade candidates (ie: Gay). Having a GM dictate playing time is not uncommon in sports. In that instance, by having his hands tied even a little bit, DC would essentially be coaching a tank even when coaching to win each and every game.

That's the sort of stealth tank that I could see going on, which DC would be well aware of, despite doing his best to try and actually coach to a victory.
                    That is as far as I could ever see it going. Coaches try to win within the parameters they are given. It's all they know how to do.

Comment

It certainly looks as if Dc is on the tank brigade given some of the questionable decisions he has made. But it does sound way too absurd, given the last year of his contract as was pointed out above. Unless MU told him he has a guaranteed job next year as an assistant or something, Casey is coaching to prove he can coach in this league...he just isn't doing a very good job of it.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        Hypothetical for you:

I'm also starting to wonder whether MU is dictating minutes to certain players.

Hypothetical:
                        I'm wondering whether it is in the opposite fashion as above, whether he is dictating max minutes/touches to DC. JV's trade value is still extremely high (arguably highest on Raptors) despite him not being involved in the offense and not contributing to wins or stat stuffing. Perhaps MU has decided that JV isn't going to be the player that everyone thinks has pegged him as. Instead of giving him heavy minutes, lots of touches, and exposing him to double teams that he can't navigate or offense responsibility he can't fulfil. He is keeping trade value high by limiting minutes until this December 15th date.

Surely there is a reason for the blatant disregard to JV by the raptors.

Comment

Even if we are tanking derozan definitely Isnt. If the was trying to tank he would publicly be asking for a trade. So I don't know why u guys are saying Casey is riding this tank

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Stay classy.
                            I'm sorry but he's right. Why would any coach play to lose? that's basically giving away his job...

Comment

Coaches don't command tanks, general managers do by trading players for futures. Coaches ALWAYS try to win the fucking game. What, you think he's "coaching bad" for a draft pick? Like purposely trying to lose? That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Seriously. How would that ever do anything but harm for a team if we found coaches were actually teaching and implementing losing strategies intentionally? WOW.

Casey has one mandate: squeeze as many wins out of the roster he is given as possible. Lieweke and MU, they could be up to something else altogether, but not Casey. Ever.
                              I'm not sure why you say this. Why wouldn't he "never" follow a plan he's been given?

I dn't think he's great, but I don't think he's bad, and I really don't think anyone here is better.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                                I'm sorry but he's right. Why would any coach play to lose? that's basically giving away his job...
                                No it isn't.

Coaches and management work together in many franchises. I have no idea why so many are so up in arms. Do NONE or you guys actually pay attention to what MU says???

He's in rebuild mode, they are looking at players in certain scenario's right now, and they are taking notes, and guess what, Dec 15 is a real number for them.

Casey is sitting just fine right now. He's towing the line and thats what he has likely been asked to do.

None of us knows for certain, but I am completely comfortable with my own opinion on this one, I don't get this stuff too wrong that often.

Comment

Working...
                                X