Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowe: Young Players Wating to take the Leap (JV Stuff)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should note that while I take Lowe's point about JV and his issues rolling to the rim, which is 100% true by the way, it is also true that Amir Johnson has had no luck out of the pick and roll game all year either. Why is that important? Cause he used to have all sorts of success playing with Calderon in pick and roll.

So, while JV needs to time his rolls better, the perimeter players also need to pass the damn ball....

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Or an oop.
      Exactly what I'm thinking.
      Look at all the space between JV and the Basket.. A simple little lob will either get him a dunk or an alley-oop.

And one has to assume that Amir is standing in the Corner we can't see, so there's always that Plan-B of Amir shooting the Corner 3 ... oh wait ... Ugh.

Comment

I don't think that JV setting weak screens has been a problem. The ballhandlers have just been atrocious at making the correct pass, be it to JV anyone else that may get freed up during a PnR.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          I should note that while I take Lowe's point about JV and his issues rolling to the rim, which is 100% true by the way, it is also true that Amir Johnson has had no luck out of the pick and roll game all year either. Why is that important? Cause he used to have all sorts of success playing with Calderon in pick and roll.

So, while JV needs to time his rolls better, the perimeter players also need to pass the damn ball....
          Amir's stats were inflated that way though, now we are seeing what he really is.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            The worst part of that picture is that Valanciunas isn't even the only open play:

1. entry pass to Valanciunas (although I think the pass would be picked-off from this angle)

2. two dribbles and pass to the player open in the left corner

3. immediate pass to DeRozan on the opposite corner (for shot)

4. immediate pass to DeRozan on the opposite corner, followed by a swing to Lowry in the corner (his man is likely to rush DeRozan)

5. immediate pass to DeRozan on the opposite corner, followed by an entry pass to Valanciunas (if his man rushes out to DeRozan, leaving Valanciunas possibly posting up a PG)

6. immediate pass to DeRozan on the opposite corner, followed by an immediate dribble penetration and kickout to one of the 3 perimeter players (ie: back to Gay, or to either corner), since one of them is likely to be left extremely wide open
            Gotta imagine someone is standing the WIDEST OPEN in the corner we can't see as well.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Exactly what I'm thinking.
              Look at all the space between JV and the Basket.. A simple little lob will either get him a dunk or an alley-oop.
              or it will get intercepted by Mozgov

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                The part where it talks about Valanciunas being too early for his pick, finally someone pointing this out instead they Bash Lowry for a wild pass. Jonas has to be prepared for wild passes, if he's not, he's asking for trouble.
                As a big man, it's not possible to be "too early" on a pick. The ball-handlers *have* to wait, and they just don't. Most of the time Valanciunas will slip a screen because Lowry is already going.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Gotta imagine someone is standing the WIDEST OPEN in the corner we can't see as well.
                  Yup, that was my #2. Gay takes a dribble or two and that completely freezes the defender guarding that man, leaving him in 'no man's land', which would leave that Raptor with a wide open look.

Comment

Amir's stats were inflated that way though, now we are seeing what he really is.
                    You're going to have to explain that one to me.

Comment

or it will get intercepted by Mozgov
                      only if it is a sh!t pass.

Oh crap, it is Gay.

Good point.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                        As a big man, it's not possible to be "too early" on a pick. The ball-handlers *have* to wait, and they just don't. Most of the time Valanciunas will slip a screen because Lowry is already going.
                        + millions and millions!

But at same time JV is not without his share of the blame.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Yup, that was my #2. Gay takes a dribble or two and that completely freezes the defender guarding that man, leaving him in 'no man's land', which would leave that Raptor with a wide open look.
                          Ah touché Sir. Misunderstood that one.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                            Thank you.
                            It's kinda Bullshit to lay that on the big.

Comment

+ millions and millions!

True, but he's a rookie trying to learn timing with Guards that are quite sadly, just atrocious at playing simple basic ball.

Comment

+ millions and millions!

No, he's not. I just get annoyed about how many people tend to think that the big man is automatically to blame on an illegal screen. Everyone's a guard, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X