Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential trade destinations for Lowry: Dec.12 - NY a match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig wrote: View Post
    Um... does anyone here think Kyle Lowry has ANY intention of re-signing in Toronto?

i don't think he does.
    There's zero reason for him to, so no.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      You're overstating the case against him. A couple of things to consider:

1. He was playing just as well at the beginning of last year & in preseason. It's possible that he's only recently become fully heathy and conditioned again.

2. I'm generally wary of players in their contract years, but I'm not with Lowry. I've never been his biggest fan, and even then, one thing that was always obvious to me was his competitiveness. I think he takes a lot of pride in what he does and I can't see him mailing it in once he gets paid.

3. He's essentially the exact same age Billups was when he joined Detroit, and I'm getting the feeling that he's going to have a similar career. If I was a GM, I'd have no problem giving him 40 mil for four years. Now, weather Masai should be the GM to do this is another question...
      We'll just have to agree to disagree then. My opinion is that Lowry seems like a pretty strong candidate to have a great contract year, cash in during free agency, and then regress back to something closer to what we saw seasons 1 thru 6. He's in great shape this season after dealing with conditioning issues for his entire career up until now. Starting from the middle of last year, he's on the longest stretch of good health since his second season. He fought with teammates in Memphis, clashed with McHale and got himself traded from Houston, and I'm sure I can dig up some articles from last season that speculate about he prickly he was at times.

The player I've seen since the Rudy trade is probably worth $40 million over 40 but I don't want Ujiri to pay a guy based on a small stretch of games when he's most motivated. I'd rather look at the larger body of work. All in all I'd rather not have the Raptors be the team that pays him this summer.

I don't think you can start making Billups comparisons until Lowry starts reeling off the elite seasons that he was able to and actually wins something. You're comparing a guy who finished fifth for the MVP one season to a guy who lost his starting spot two times in the last three seasons. I'll admit that their career arcs look somewhat similar right now, but really the seasons when you get injured a lot and are inconsistent are the easy part of what Billups did.

Comment

• I feel that while Lowry is a great player, there isn't really too many teams that are in need of a point guard so much that they're willing to dish out 35 mill plus for him. I really think we could resign him and have him as our point guard of the future, unless we get Exum or Smart in the draft. I think a contract of 32 mill over 4 years plus incentives and bonuses, is pretty fair. I'd spread it out for 8 mill for the first 2 years, 8.5 for third year, and a 7.5 mill player option for the last year.

Comment

• If an extension has been offered and he has refused to sign and is determined to see what lies in free agency then I agree we should trade Kyle, but I'm not aware of any extension has been offered. Dare I say Kyle is officially playing the best basketball of any Raptor PG, ever?

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
            We'll just have to agree to disagree then. My opinion is that Lowry seems like a pretty strong candidate to have a great contract year, cash in during free agency, and then regress back to something closer to what we saw seasons 1 thru 6. He's in great shape this season after dealing with conditioning issues for his entire career up until now. Starting from the middle of last year, he's on the longest stretch of good health since his second season. He fought with teammates in Memphis, clashed with McHale and got himself traded from Houston, and I'm sure I can dig up some articles from last season that speculate about he prickly he was at times.

The player I've seen since the Rudy trade is probably worth $40 million over 40 but I don't want Ujiri to pay a guy based on a small stretch of games when he's most motivated. I'd rather look at the larger body of work. All in all I'd rather not have the Raptors be the team that pays him this summer.

I don't think you can start making Billups comparisons until Lowry starts reeling off the elite seasons that he was able to and actually wins something. You're comparing a guy who finished fifth for the MVP one season to a guy who lost his starting spot two times in the last three seasons. I'll admit that their career arcs look somewhat similar right now, but really the seasons when you get injured a lot and are inconsistent are the easy part of what Billups did.
            All very reasonable points, and I don't disagree with any of them. While it seems to me that a lightbulb's gone off for him, I'd need to see him sustain this level of play for the rest of the season to be sure.

And that's Masai's dilemma - do you ride this out, watch him the rest of the season, to see what you might have? If you do, the tank is off. But then he can just walk for nothing.

Probably the safest route, all things considered, is to trade him right now, while his value is sky high.
            Last edited by JimiCliff; Fri Dec 27, 2013, 11:45 AM.
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Masai's Journal day 1:

Dear Diary,

Took Kyle for lunch today. He said it was the best burger he ever had. Pretty sure he's staying. Will update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                Masai's Journal day 1:

Dear Diary,

Took Kyle for lunch today. He said it was the best burger he ever had. Pretty sure he's staying. Will update

Don't worry. MU is not BC he will not fall for a Chris Bosh scenario.

Comment

• serbiantiger8 wrote: View Post
                  I feel that while Lowry is a great player, there isn't really too many teams that are in need of a point guard so much that they're willing to dish out 35 mill plus for him. I really think we could resign him and have him as our point guard of the future, unless we get Exum or Smart in the draft. I think a contract of 32 mill over 4 years plus incentives and bonuses, is pretty fair. I'd spread it out for 8 mill for the first 2 years, 8.5 for third year, and a 7.5 mill player option for the last year.
                  Yeah thats a fair deal if lowry takes it
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
                    Um... does anyone here think Kyle Lowry has ANY intention of re-signing in Toronto?

i don't think he does.
                    Especially being shopped like he has been

He's a goner one way or another

Comment

• Honestly, Lowry's gone after this season if we don't move him. He'll be the premier point guard available in a year where there won't be a lot of point guards available on the free market (the next biggest name is probably Ramon Sessions) and where there will be quite a few teams looking for a serious upgrade at PG: the Knicks are the obvious candidate, but also consider the Pistons, the Bucks, and possibly the Magic (Oladipo will get moved back to SG and the Magic might not get Marcus Smart like they hope to do).

One of these teams will find a way to pay him $9-10m a year for three or four years and we shouldn't consider matching it because Lowry has never been consistent as a non-contract player - and frankly even at his best he's probably not a $10m player. He, like most of the Raptors, is a good second/third option.

Comment

• I think Lowry would stay just to be a starting PG in the league. Especially if these guys make the playoffs and make noise.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          I think Lowry would stay just to be a starting PG in the league.
                          For two years in a row it's been made clear to him he's not really desired by the Raptors (getting demoted to bench in year one, being shopped in year two). I think Lowry would be crazy to stay if he wants to start in this league.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                            For two years in a row it's been made clear to him he's not really desired by the Raptors (getting demoted to bench in year one, being shopped in year two). I think Lowry would be crazy to stay if he wants to start in this league.
                            Where is he getting another opportunity to start though?

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Where is he getting another opportunity to start though?

if another team throws money at him that the raptors wouldn't beat then he would be pretty much guaranteed to start there. if he takes less money than he is worth it won't be to the raptors. it will be to a team ready to win.

i see lowry as gone by trade deadline, packaged at the draft(with a promise to sign where he goes) or sign and traded in the offseason.

masai stated in several interviews that gay is gone because of contract uncertainty and how it impedes planning. that sounds a lot like lowrys' situation as well.

Comment

• The theme song for this thread:

“The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                                X