Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential trade destinations for Lowry: Dec.12 - NY a match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think Lowry is traded this season. I'm not a GM so this is all 100% opinion based. Look through the league. Who has assets to throw away on a player that may or may not return next season?

When looking at teams with injured PGs:

Boston has Rondo back.
    Brooklyn has Williams back.
    Chicago has lost Rose but the Bulls are just $500k below luxury tax and don't have the required contracts to take on Lowry without going in to tax.
    Houston did fine without Beverly and now he is back.
    Clippers - doing fine without Paul, limited assets to make numbers work, no picks to trade.
    Miami - Chalmers is back, no pick to trade, no assets to make numbers work.
    New Orleans are likely to tank like no other team has done since Golden State (injuries have given them no choice).
    OKC - doing fine without Westbrook
    Phoenix are going to have Bledsoe back, tough to make numbers work without 3rd team or more coming from Raptors.

Then look at playoff bubble teams:
    Charlotte has Walker who will be back soon.
    Detroit has Jennings - would Raps want him? I hope not.
    Cleveland - Irving/Jack
    Washington - Wall
    Memphis - Conley
    Denver - Lawson
    Atlanta - Teague with Mack doing well as backup and Schroder as long term prospect

Then there are bad/tank teams with no hope outside of ping pong balls:
    Philly
    Boston
    Milwaukee
    Orlando

Then there are the teams who are at bottom of standings with PG set:
    Utah - Burke
    Sacramento - Thomas

Then there are teams at the top or firmly in playoffs who are set:
    San Antonio
    Indiana
    Portland
    Dallas
    Golden State

So who does that leave?

Minnesota: connection with Adelman, starter who does not play in the 4th quarter.... but no picks and limited assets in trade. What does that do for Toronto?

New York: Dolan put the kibosh on that. Maybe things change as they sit 10 games under .500 at half way point of season?

LA Lakers. LA Lakers. LA Lakers. LA Lakers. But not in season.

They are going to be a prime sign and trade destination for Lowry. Why?
    1) they are looking to get back to winning next year. You think Kobe wants to play out last 2 years without a chance to win?
    2) Perfect trade mate in Toronto with Nash (not because of passport but because of $9.7M contract i.e. about what Lowry would likely make). Lakers with Lowry around $9M and Kobe at $23M have about $30M for free agency. Deng, big offer to Monroe.... just throwing out possibilities.
    3) What player wouldn't want to play for Lakers? What PG wouldn't want to play for D'Antoni?
    4) Lakers pick. They are likely to get high draft pick this season. High draft picks take up cap space and don't always contribute to winning immediately. Lakers will be in win now mode. So S&T Lowry for Nash with Lakers pick going to Raptors and some 2nd round picks going to LA (low cap hold, lots of flexibility in signing).
    5) Lakers rumoured to have lots of interest a couple of years ago when Gasol to Houston was speculated. At that time supposedly Houston refused to include Lowry in deal which was hold up. All rumours and hearsay of course.

I'm still all for building through higher end of draft. I just think it is going to be done in '13-14 on the road less traveled. '14-15 will likely be more of a traditional route and I think the '15-16 season is when the Raptors are looking to be real threats with an eye on '16 free agency.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I don't think Lowry is traded this season. I'm not a GM so this is all 100% opinion based. Look through the league. Who has assets to throw away on a player that may or may not return next season?

When looking at teams with injured PGs:

Boston has Rondo back.
      Brooklyn has Williams back.
      Chicago has lost Rose but the Bulls are just $500k below luxury tax and don't have the required contracts to take on Lowry without going in to tax.
      Houston did fine without Beverly and now he is back.
      Clippers - doing fine without Paul, limited assets to make numbers work, no picks to trade.
      Miami - Chalmers is back, no pick to trade, no assets to make numbers work.
      New Orleans are likely to tank like no other team has done since Golden State (injuries have given them no choice).
      OKC - doing fine without Westbrook
      Phoenix are going to have Bledsoe back, tough to make numbers work without 3rd team or more coming from Raptors.

Then look at playoff bubble teams:
      Charlotte has Walker who will be back soon.
      Detroit has Jennings - would Raps want him? I hope not.
      Cleveland - Irving/Jack
      Washington - Wall
      Memphis - Conley
      Denver - Lawson
      Atlanta - Teague with Mack doing well as backup and Schroder as long term prospect

Then there are bad/tank teams with no hope outside of ping pong balls:
      Philly
      Boston
      Milwaukee
      Orlando

Then there are the teams who are at bottom of standings with PG set:
      Utah - Burke
      Sacramento - Thomas

Then there are teams at the top or firmly in playoffs who are set:
      San Antonio
      Indiana
      Portland
      Dallas
      Golden State

So who does that leave?

Minnesota: connection with Adelman, starter who does not play in the 4th quarter.... but no picks and limited assets in trade. What does that do for Toronto?

New York: Dolan put the kibosh on that. Maybe things change as they sit 10 games under .500 at half way point of season?

LA Lakers. LA Lakers. LA Lakers. LA Lakers. But not in season.

They are going to be a prime sign and trade destination for Lowry. Why?
      1) they are looking to get back to winning next year. You think Kobe wants to play out last 2 years without a chance to win?
      2) Perfect trade mate in Toronto with Nash (not because of passport but because of $9.7M contract i.e. about what Lowry would likely make). Lakers with Lowry around $9M and Kobe at $23M have about $30M for free agency. Deng, big offer to Monroe.... just throwing out possibilities.
      3) What player wouldn't want to play for Lakers? What PG wouldn't want to play for D'Antoni?
      4) Lakers pick. They are likely to get high draft pick this season. High draft picks take up cap space and don't always contribute to winning immediately. Lakers will be in win now mode. So S&T Lowry for Nash with Lakers pick going to Raptors and some 2nd round picks going to LA (low cap hold, lots of flexibility in signing).
      5) Lakers rumoured to have lots of interest a couple of years ago when Gasol to Houston was speculated. At that time supposedly Houston refused to include Lowry in deal which was hold up. All rumours and hearsay of course.

I'm still all for building through higher end of draft. I just think it is going to be done in '13-14 on the road less traveled. '14-15 will likely be more of a traditional route and I think the '15-16 season is when the Raptors are looking to be real threats with an eye on '16 free agency.
      Welcome back Matt! Def good to see u posting again.

I agree there doesn't seem to be much of a market for lowry among other teams anymore. Though i did read somewhere recently that Udrih is demanding a trade out of NY, might not have been a reliable source though, not sure. That could open up some lowry discussions, but I cant see MU taking on JR Smith which is who Dolan will be looking to package Udrih with. Looks like they will probably keep both players we originally wanted in the first place also. So that will probably lead nowhere again if talks ever did resurface.

Comment

• matt!
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
          If right now NY called up Ujiri and offered Shumpert, Hardaway Jr. and a 1st round pick, would you want MU to take the deal?
          I say yes to that deal and then start looking for a third trade partner to send Shump out in exchange for something we need more. Probably Houston: Shump + Novak for Lin - Lin wants a trade, they want to get rid of his contract, and they need a good defending wing and Shump is it. Novak makes the money work and he's another three-shooter for the team that loves three-shooting more than anything. If Houston wants THJ as well, I'd consider it if they throw in a first-rounder.

Comment

• I think at this point you don't look at it like which team needs a starting point guard, you look at it like what team wants to upgrade the position.

Question is just as hard to answer though.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• As long as Ujiri doesn't let Lowry walk for nothing (which I'm sure he won't) I'll be happy.

Glad to see you back Matt, we missed your insight!

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                So who does that leave?

I wouldn't trade Lowry to NYK, because he deserves better than being on that team.

Minnesota would be the perfect place for him. Minny is probably looking for another high level player to put beside Love, and Lowry would be perfect for them, especially since everyone knows Lowry and Adelman work. I was thinking of:

Lowry + SAC 2nd round pick

for

Shved + Dieng + GS 2nd round pick from 2014 + 2015 1st with rights to swap

-Shved is a serviceable asset, with one year left on a cheap contract before he reaches RFA. He is having a rough year in Minny and has low trade value...could be a good pick up, could be meh...either way he is athletic, can defend fairly well and create his own shot. His assist numbers have plummeted this season, but he can pass.

-Dieng - we need a legit back-up center. This guy I think can be pretty good, he is averaging nearly 1 block in 5 minutes a game and has good rebound numbers. Look mobile, young. Could be a pretty nice asset, a steal imo.

-we move up in this second round with the SAC/GS swap

-but the main part is the 2015 pick. For the protection, I was think that if their pick is better, we have the rights to swap ours for theirs in order to get around the Steipen Rule (can't trade out 2 years in a row). However if their pick is worse than ours, it turns into a 2016 protected (top 10) pick. This is great value for Lowry.

Comment

• Dieng is the guy with the crazy hair right?

The white people in Toronto would go CRAZY for that guy.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I'd like if Minny gave us Rubio and the pick swap option.

I'm still a Rubio fan

Comment

• Lowry and DeMar for Rubio, Barea, Muhammad, Cunningham, 2016 first round pick (unprotected)
                      http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kps8hhp

Cunningham is an expiring contract, Muhammad is a prospect, Barea expires next season, and Rubio is still on his rookie contract.

Toronto starts the tanks rolling again.. could have a brighter future (assuming Rubio ever gets his shot figured out), and Minnesota gets better now, which could make Love happier.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Lowry and DeMar for Rubio, Barea, Muhammad, Cunningham, 2016 first round pick (unprotected)

Cunningham is an expiring contract, Muhammad is a prospect, Barea expires next season, and Rubio is still on his rookie contract.

Toronto starts the tanks rolling again.. could have a brighter future (assuming Rubio ever gets his shot figured out), and Minnesota gets better now, which could make Love happier.
                        As much as people are becoming disillusioned with Rubio due to this short, I can't see Minnesota giving up on him with the possibility that Lowry could leave in the summer. Granted, those odds are smaller due to the presence of Adelman, but it is still a possibility.

Do I think that Minnesota would prefer Lowry? Probably. Do I think Minnesota would be better with Lowry instead of Rubio? Yes. His shooting ability would open thing up on offense, and his defense would have a huge impact for the team. But would they trade Rubio with a chance that Lowry would leave in a few months? I don't think they do.
                        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
                          As much as people are becoming disillusioned with Rubio due to this short, I can't see Minnesota giving up on him with the possibility that Lowry could leave in the summer. Granted, those odds are smaller due to the presence of Adelman, but it is still a possibility.

Do I think that Minnesota would prefer Lowry? Probably. Do I think Minnesota would be better with Lowry instead of Rubio? Yes. His shooting ability would open thing up on offense, and his defense would have a huge impact for the team. But would they trade Rubio with a chance that Lowry would leave in a few months? I don't think they do.
                          I'd be looking at it like DeRozan for Rubio and Lowry for Barea, Muhammad, Cunningham and a 2016 first.

Might be a lot to give up for a rental.. but MU was looking for a pick/prospect type of reward for Lowry anyway and Minny might be desperate enough to do it.

Comment

Lowry and DeMar for Rubio, Barea, Muhammad, Cunningham, 2016 first round pick (unprotected)

I think we could get a better haul for Lowry and derozan. Also Minny won't give up Rubio for a 3 month rental in Lowry
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                              I think we could get a better haul for Lowry and derozan. Also Minny won't give up Rubio for a 3 month rental in Lowry
                              Like I said in my previous post.. assume Rubio is being swapped for DeMar (not Lowry). Lowry is being swapped for the other 'stuff'. Would Minny give up Rubio for DeMar? Would Toronto give up DeMar for Rubio? Who wins that trade? I say its a wash personally.. but it helps Toronto in the future, and Minny now. Thus a win-win (in my opinion).

Comment

Like I said in my previous post.. assume Rubio is being swapped for DeMar (not Lowry). Lowry is being swapped for the other 'stuff'. Would Minny give up Rubio for DeMar? Would Toronto give up DeMar for Rubio? Who wins that trade? I say its a wash personally.. but it helps Toronto in the future, and Minny now. Thus a win-win (in my opinion).
                                Every move that Minnesota makes is covered by the cloud of Kevin Love and whether he will resign. I can understand your trade from a straight-up perspective. But if they trade Rubio for Lowry, and Lowry walks, they are then having to go with Shved as their starting PG. That is a recipe to guarantee that Love is gone.

Could I see some sort of sign-and-trade this summer, if Adelman pushes it forward? Its possible. But they won't risk going forward without a capable PG as they attempt to keep Love in the fold.
                                http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Working...
                                X