Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential trade destinations for Lowry: Dec.12 - NY a match?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Explain? He's 27 and having the best year of his career. I'd say he's exactly in his prime. Don't think he'll get better in an impact sense. *I realize you could mean he could play this way for several more years, but he could also get a sidetracking injury within a couple of years, in which case you've lost the chance to take advantage of his prime value.

Should we look to trade him?

I don't know. I think it was @slaw who posted in another thread....It's very risky to let a guy playing so well walk for nothing. If they can agree to an extension or a gentleman's agreement on a re-signing in the offseason (as he said, it's only illegal if they get caught), that's the ideal scenario for keeping him. Otherwise, you're looking at a guy hitting his prime going into unrestricted free agency, and we know there are teams (Lakers?) who could throw a stupid amount of money at him that Masai might never want to match. It's a really tough call. But management has to do what's best for the team long-term, and losing Lowry for nothing is the worst-case all around.
    you mean like what the cavs had with boozer?
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Anyways, i've said it before and i'll say it again. I'd still trade him in a heartbeat. I know a lot of people are having a good time with this winning thing, so am i, but i just have a really bad feeling about lowry walking. He's given NO indication of wanting to be apart of the team. He's not even waffling about "wanting to be on the team but we'll see what happens..." like Bosh did when everyone in toronto not named Colangelo knew he was going to walk. Lowry certainly hasn't quit the way Bosh or Vince did when they knew there time was about to end, but i think that's how he's wired. Which is a good thing! But at the same time, when he gives very roundabout answers to if he'd like to resign here it's a big red flag to me. A gigantic, waving red flag.

Maybe he's said something to MU personally, though? It doesn't seem like MU to take a guy with increasing value off the trade block, but then again since when do we really know what MU's up to?

Make no mistake, if he wants to stay here i'm all for it. I just don't have any proof that he does. I've got this big blinking red light in the back of my head that says "CONTRACT YEAR" whenever i think of it and it makes me incredibly wary.

And don't give me that "winning cures all!" garbage.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
        you mean like what the cavs had with boozer?
        Not exactly. They could've kept Boozer for another year at a bargain price (less than $1 million). They had a handshake agreement to release him of that year, let him become a RFA (not an UFA)....then Utah made an offer almost double what Cleveland had reportedly offered, and Cleveland chose not to match.

Obviously it could backfire for Toronto, but they also don't have the option of keeping him cheap, or the option of matching any offers. It's probably less likely Lowry gets offered double what Toronto would offer him, but it is fully possibly a team offers him enough over it that he doesn't want to accept the handshake agreement they had. It's not ideal, but it also creates some good faith, which may also help facilitate a sign and trade as long as Toronto doesn't get all whiny and upset like Cleveland did. I can't really fault Boozer...we're not talking 3 or 4 or even 15 million. Utah offered him 31 million more than Cleveland did. If someone offered you double your previous offer, would you really reject it for the honour of a handshake?

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
          In the past few weeks we have heard everything possible about Lowry. Trade, confident they can resign, extension, options open, still would like a high pick...I absolutely love how Ujiri works.

Now, this is not to advocate for a Lowry trade, but to merely add another piece to gauge the possible market for him. There are currently 10 teams that have injured starting PGs.

Boston – Rondo
          Brooklyn – Deron
          Chicago – Rose
          Houston – Beverley
          LA Clippers – Paul
          LA Lakers – Nash (then Blake, followed by Farmar)
          Miami - Chalmers
          New Orleans – Holiday
          OKC – Westbrook
          Phoenix – Bledsoe

Granted, not all of these teams would be interested, or even have the assets available...I just find it fascinating that a third of the league has these issues.

If things do go south for the Raptors, it seems like Lowry could be one of the most attractive trade chips on the market. Starting caliber PG, on an expiring contract, with RFA status, and only making just over $6mil a year. At this rate even Vasquez could have some value if the Raptors saw fit.
          The market for Kyle is definitely expanding, I agree with that. I'm just worried about the return Raps would get; at the end of the day, he's most likely still just a rental. May be able to squeeze out a first-rounder from some of the teams like OKC, since it'll most likely come later in the round.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Woj - Golden State is chasing down a multi-team deal to bolster its guard depth. Kyle Lowry prominently involved.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• jk they traded for crawford and brooks
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Yep, officially take GS out of the Lowry sweepstakes.
                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Love how GS is claiming they turned down a Lowry trade because of locker room concerns. More like Toronto turned it down because they weren't offering Barnes and they have literally nothing else to offer. Just look at the Celtics trade return. Joel Anthony and some second round picks. I'd rather keep Lowry than take that garbage.

Comment

• They did?
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      They did?
                      Yup. Ric Bucher reported it yesterday - Click here

Comment

• I make up excuses when i can't afford things too
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• phiLLy wrote: View Post
                          One can only dream, that we get 3 2014 First-Rounders for Lowry.

Though, Phoenix might get a little desperate...S&T?
                          I think if we could get three first rounders we should trade KL knowing that he won't resign with us. I really like KL going forward but if someone gets desperate.....MU needs to pounce.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                            Love how GS is claiming they turned down a Lowry trade because of locker room concerns. More like Toronto turned it down because they weren't offering Barnes and they have literally nothing else to offer. Just look at the Celtics trade return. Joel Anthony and some second round picks. I'd rather keep Lowry than take that garbage.
                            The source for that story sounds like GS. MU has been great in avoiding media leaks in sharp contrast to BC.

Comment

• If right now NY called up Ujiri and offered Shumpert, Hardaway Jr. and a 1st round pick, would you want MU to take the deal?

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                                If right now NY called up Ujiri and offered Shumpert, Hardaway Jr. and a 1st round pick, would you want MU to take the deal?
                                Depends on what MU thinks the chances of resigning Lowry are. If he doesn't think they're good, you take that without blinking.
                                "Stop eating your sushi."
                                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Working...
                                X