Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is Ujiri really that great?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    The AI he was talking about was Andre Iguodala, not Allen Iverson
    Yeah thanks.. was referring to Iggy not "the Answer".

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    The AI he was talking about was Andre Iguodala, not Allen Iverson
    It is rare I feel stupid.

Now is one of those times.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I will reserve judging UM until he spend 3 years here. We can judge his work at the beginning of the 4th season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    I will reserve judging UM until he spend 3 years here. We can judge his work at the beginning of the 4th season.
    I think that is fair.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Iggy, MU left Denver before AI left as a free agent. I have seen multiple comments of AI's respect/fondness for MU (as with other players who were quite upset when MU left) that it is a distinct possibility he would have re-signed w/Nuggets had MU/Karl stayed on (not Karl so much imo). To believe MU would have worked a multiteam deal to acquire AI without the odds of him staying I am afraid is working the narrative that MU is missing some GM smarts.

To me, McGee seems to be the only blemish and even at that the book isnt completely closed. Thats a gm record I would relish be duplicated in Toronto.

6. Like mcHAPPY, Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Regarding Iggy, MU left Denver before AI left as a free agent. I have seen multiple comments of AI's respect/fondness for MU (as with other players who were quite upset when MU left) that it is a distinct possibility he would have re-signed w/Nuggets had MU/Karl stayed on (not Karl so much imo). To believe MU would have worked a multiteam deal to acquire AI without the odds of him staying I am afraid is working the narrative that MU is missing some GM smarts.

To me, McGee seems to be the only blemish and even at that the book isnt completely closed. Thats a gm record I would relish be duplicated in Toronto.
    I can definitely see why he traded for Javale McGee. He's a legitimate 7 footer who's athleticism was on full display at the dunk contest -- I repeat, a 7 footer who competed in the dunk contest. He has the tools to easily be the defensive player of the year for multiple seasons & his contract is similar to DeAndre Jordan's (a similar player for similar value).

With the amount of pick and rolls being run across the league, having a mobile center who can guard the pick and roll & protect the rim at the same time -- anchoring the defense -- is a huge asset to have & to lock him in a contract that reflects his value, I'd say that's pretty good GM'ing. Masai simply believed that Denver's environment, one that has more character than Washington's, along with better coaching staff, will bring the best out of Javale McGee -- who still has the potential to be a defensive anchor (but probably not a post presence on offense).

In regards to the Afflalo trade, he brought in an "elite" perimeter defender on an expiring contract & got rid of Al Harrington's horrible contract, the lower of Denver's 2014 1st round & Afflalo. You can make your own judgment on that -- whether or not the trade was smart for Denver long-term -- but it's evident, based on Denver's record last year that Iggy was a difference maker for Denver. Therefore, short-term wise, it was a successful trade.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Your assessment about MU's thinking about McGee is probably correct. There is however some documentation around that Karl was not enamored with the move as well as thought well of Nene. Also contrary to some public assumption that Karl & MU got along famously...this is not exactly true I understand. One other concern seemingly also was Javale's stamina. I saw a fan stat re what happened to his production and odd behaviour after his first 5 some minutes on the floor (oxygen deprivation at Denver elev.? ). Am not sure what to make of that but my reasoning re "book isnt completely closed" is that there is a new coach in Denver and as you noted if his natural ability could get harnessed on a good team he could end up being a steal.

If you want more Javale....

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...se-in-stature/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Your assessment about MU's thinking about McGee is probably correct. There is however some documentation around that Karl was not enamored with the move as well as thought well of Nene. Also contrary to some public assumption that Karl & MU got along famously...this is not exactly true I understand. One other concern seemingly also was Javale's stamina. I saw a fan stat re what happened to his production and odd behaviour after his first 5 some minutes on the floor (oxygen deprivation at Denver elev.? ). Am not sure what to make of that but my reasoning re "book isnt completely closed" is that there is a new coach in Denver and as you noted if his natural ability could get harnessed on a good team he could end up being a steal.

If you want more Javale....

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...se-in-stature/
    Bingo.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Thread Information