Is Ujiri really that great?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fully wrote: View Post
    Compare what happened in Denver to what happened with all the other teams that lost a perennial all-star in recent years (Cleveland, Toronto, Phoenix, New Orleans) and Ujiri looks pretty smart. All the other teams entered a tailspin while the Nuggets won 57 games last year. He drafted well there, traded well, and with the exception of the McGee signing, didn't make any errors in free agency.

Even after losing Iggy last summer, the team that Masai put together is a factor in the West while staying incredibly flexible. They have more draft picks than they should, and a roster full of young assets on reasonable deals.
    Yeah, well.....Masai sucks.

#NoComeback

Comment

We will never know if Ujiri is going to be great until he actually has a chance to change the roster and we may not know how good of a job he is doing for another 2-3 years. If he's better than Bryan that's a step in the right direction, and so far from the little moves he made in the summer (trading Andrea, getting TH, not spending big money on long term contracts) that seems to indicate that he is doing a better job (but I'm also a bit biased since I can't stand how Bryan built his team).

With regards to rating MU, all we can go on is history. There were some moves that I personally consider questionable like trading for McGee or trading for AI (who only had one year left on his contract potentially) and giving up Afflalo (by the way look at his numbers from last night). Yes I know AI left and that might have had something to do with MU leaving but he could have still opted out under MU too. And with regards to the Raptors this season I would have hoped that MU traded Gay/Lowry in the summer so that he could get a step up in the rebuild but he didn't. Maybe there was public pressure to keep Bryan's roster in tact.. but either way as a fan I would have liked him to speed up the process.

So I'm still in the wait and see with him. I hope he does a good job. I do like that TL is running the show in the background. He's had far more success than MU and call me naive but I believe him when he says he wants championships in Toronto not just playoff appearances.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        We will never know if Ujiri is going to be great until he actually has a chance to change the roster and we may not know how good of a job he is doing for another 2-3 years. If he's better than Bryan that's a step in the right direction, and so far from the little moves he made in the summer (trading Andrea, getting TH, not spending big money on long term contracts) that seems to indicate that he is doing a better job (but I'm also a bit biased since I can't stand how Bryan built his team).

With regards to rating MU, all we can go on is history. There were some moves that I personally consider questionable like trading for McGee or trading for AI (who only had one year left on his contract potentially) and giving up Afflalo (by the way look at his numbers from last night). Yes I know AI left and that might have had something to do with MU leaving but he could have still opted out under MU too. And with regards to the Raptors this season I would have hoped that MU traded Gay/Lowry in the summer so that he could get a step up in the rebuild but he didn't. Maybe there was public pressure to keep Bryan's roster in tact.. but either way as a fan I would have liked him to speed up the process.

So I'm still in the wait and see with him. I hope he does a good job. I do like that TL is running the show in the background. He's had far more success than MU and call me naive but I believe him when he says he wants championships in Toronto not just playoff appearances.
        Bold 1: Here is his history in Denver. AI was before his time.
        http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/masai_ujiri.htm

Bold 2: Look at the debate on tank vs. no tank for the last 6 months. He was going to alienate a lot of fans blowing it up early. He gave the team enough rope to hang itself to eliminate all questions of what this team is. By the way, I agree with you - I'd of love to have seen a blow up this summer too. However I thinK Gay can return more than CV and Stuckey. DD has worked out for the best. He is still below average in everything but he has stepped up what he was already decent at.

Bold 3: Agree. The Toronto experience with Colangelo was like my experience with Santa Claus. I believed and believed so much only to be let down on the truth. I don't think Masai has done anything yet to warrant criticism and his history is pretty damn good imo. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          Bold 1: Here is his history in Denver. AI was before his time.
          http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/masai_ujiri.htm

Bold 2: Look at the debate on tank vs. no tank for the last 6 months. He was going to alienate a lot of fans blowing it up early. He gave the team enough rope to hang itself to eliminate all questions of what this team is. By the way, I agree with you - I'd of love to have seen a blow up this summer too. However I thinK Gay can return more than CV and Stuckey. DD has worked out for the best. He is still below average in everything but he has stepped up what he was already decent at.

Bold 3: Agree. The Toronto experience with Colangelo was like my experience with Santa Claus. I believed and believed so much only to be let down on the truth. I don't think Masai has done anything yet to warrant criticism and his history is pretty damn good imo. Fingers crossed.
          The AI he was talking about was Andre Iguodala, not Allen Iverson

Comment

Several posters have already brought up fantastic points related to MU's past success and solid minor moves already with the Raptors, which I completely agree with.

Furthermore, MU publically stated that as a new GM with a 5-year mandate to turn this team around (job security and faith go a long way in allowing you to stick to a vision), he was going to 'wait and see' with regards to the current roster, to start the season (widely reported by insiders that this would last until the Dec.15 trade availability date). He is doing exactly what he promised - giving this roster (individually and collectively) a chance to prove itself while evaluating and, most likely, working the phones behind the scenes to determine the market value of his players.

I don't understand how MU could possibly be judged until the trade deadline, at the earliest. In fact, I'll probably hold off until after the draft, since he could decide to wait until then to cash-in some of his assets that aren't expiring (and trade for a known commodity, rather than one in flux - ie: draft picks are moving targets during the season).

To call for MU's head this early, considering he's following the plan he publically laid out, seems like nothing more than trolling born out of frustration.

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
              Yeah thanks.. was referring to Iggy not "the Answer".

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                It is rare I feel stupid.

Now is one of those times.

Comment

I will reserve judging UM until he spend 3 years here. We can judge his work at the beginning of the 4th season.

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                    I will reserve judging UM until he spend 3 years here. We can judge his work at the beginning of the 4th season.
                    I think that is fair.

Comment

Regarding Iggy, MU left Denver before AI left as a free agent. I have seen multiple comments of AI's respect/fondness for MU (as with other players who were quite upset when MU left) that it is a distinct possibility he would have re-signed w/Nuggets had MU/Karl stayed on (not Karl so much imo). To believe MU would have worked a multiteam deal to acquire AI without the odds of him staying I am afraid is working the narrative that MU is missing some GM smarts.

To me, McGee seems to be the only blemish and even at that the book isnt completely closed. Thats a gm record I would relish be duplicated in Toronto.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Regarding Iggy, MU left Denver before AI left as a free agent. I have seen multiple comments of AI's respect/fondness for MU (as with other players who were quite upset when MU left) that it is a distinct possibility he would have re-signed w/Nuggets had MU/Karl stayed on (not Karl so much imo). To believe MU would have worked a multiteam deal to acquire AI without the odds of him staying I am afraid is working the narrative that MU is missing some GM smarts.

To me, McGee seems to be the only blemish and even at that the book isnt completely closed. Thats a gm record I would relish be duplicated in Toronto.
                        I can definitely see why he traded for Javale McGee. He's a legitimate 7 footer who's athleticism was on full display at the dunk contest -- I repeat, a 7 footer who competed in the dunk contest. He has the tools to easily be the defensive player of the year for multiple seasons & his contract is similar to DeAndre Jordan's (a similar player for similar value).

With the amount of pick and rolls being run across the league, having a mobile center who can guard the pick and roll & protect the rim at the same time -- anchoring the defense -- is a huge asset to have & to lock him in a contract that reflects his value, I'd say that's pretty good GM'ing. Masai simply believed that Denver's environment, one that has more character than Washington's, along with better coaching staff, will bring the best out of Javale McGee -- who still has the potential to be a defensive anchor (but probably not a post presence on offense).

In regards to the Afflalo trade, he brought in an "elite" perimeter defender on an expiring contract & got rid of Al Harrington's horrible contract, the lower of Denver's 2014 1st round & Afflalo. You can make your own judgment on that -- whether or not the trade was smart for Denver long-term -- but it's evident, based on Denver's record last year that Iggy was a difference maker for Denver. Therefore, short-term wise, it was a successful trade.
                        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Your assessment about MU's thinking about McGee is probably correct. There is however some documentation around that Karl was not enamored with the move as well as thought well of Nene. Also contrary to some public assumption that Karl & MU got along famously...this is not exactly true I understand. One other concern seemingly also was Javale's stamina. I saw a fan stat re what happened to his production and odd behaviour after his first 5 some minutes on the floor (oxygen deprivation at Denver elev.? ). Am not sure what to make of that but my reasoning re "book isnt completely closed" is that there is a new coach in Denver and as you noted if his natural ability could get harnessed on a good team he could end up being a steal.

If you want more Javale....

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...se-in-stature/

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                            Your assessment about MU's thinking about McGee is probably correct. There is however some documentation around that Karl was not enamored with the move as well as thought well of Nene. Also contrary to some public assumption that Karl & MU got along famously...this is not exactly true I understand. One other concern seemingly also was Javale's stamina. I saw a fan stat re what happened to his production and odd behaviour after his first 5 some minutes on the floor (oxygen deprivation at Denver elev.? ). Am not sure what to make of that but my reasoning re "book isnt completely closed" is that there is a new coach in Denver and as you noted if his natural ability could get harnessed on a good team he could end up being a steal.

If you want more Javale....

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...se-in-stature/
                            Bingo.

Comment

Working...
                            X