Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Trail Blazers model

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote yukhan1980 wrote: View Post
    Just not intrested in Exum i mean what is his competation in Australia need to see him against reall talent to be sold on him.
    Wiggins definitely is the favorite for us, but in case whatever happens Marcus Smart is the real deal. Wiggins, Parker, Randel are all potential franchise changer, same thing with Smart but what set Smart different than any body else is he is a Point guard. Look at our team the biggest need is point guard this is why I am so high on him and this is why we really really need to tank this year if we don't get Wiggins that's fine we also get Smart instead. this is once in a century opportunity(sorry for the exaggeration).

2. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Im happy with any of these guys take who ever is best player available at the time. Dont look at the need take the best player dont make the same mistake like we did with Ross when we selected him over Drummond beacuse we had JV. Should have picked drummond interior of JV and drumund would have been lethal

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote yukhan1980 wrote: View Post
    Just not intrested in Exum i mean what is his competation in Australia need to see him against reall talent to be sold on him.
    With that type of perspective players like the following would never have been drafted:

An incredible 140 players who have participated in the Nike Hoop Summit have been drafted by NBA teams, including six No. 1 picks.

The list of World alumni includes: Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, Serge Ibaka, Yi Jianlian, Luis Scola, Bismack Biyombo,Nicolas Batum,Andrea Bargnani, Omri Casspi, Enes Kanter and Vladimir Radmanovic.

http://www.nikehoopsummit.com/news/
    It's really too bad he's not competing with them directly.

Had Dante Exum been able to participate this year in the NCAA, the top-prospect debate would be between four 18-years-olds—not just three.

Quite frankly, he should still be in that conversation with Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker and Julius Randle, regardless of where he's currently playing. You could even argue that Exum, a 6'6'' scoring point guard, offers the most potent package of athleticism, skill and size for his position of any of the previously mentioned standouts.

Exum still hasn't made it clear whether he'll declare in 2014, but the general feeling is that he's ready to make the jump if someone is willing to reach up and grab him.

When discussing the current field of top prospects, ESPN' Chad Ford recently spoke (subscription required) with an NBA executive who said, "All of them are going to be great, but when you watch Exum, you see the ability to be a generational talent. My owner might kill me, but I think you take Exum, regardless of what the other guys do this year. Exum's already proved it to me."

By proving it, that executive was likely talking about Exum's performances during international summer competition.

In 2012, he finished fourth in scoring at the U17 FIBA World Championships with 17.3 points per game.

The following summer, he was invited to participate in the 2013 Nike Hoops Summit, where he played alongside Wiggins and against Parker and Randle. After generating buzz all week in practice, Exum went on to score 16 points in the main event during the World's win over U.S.A.

But his most impressive feat came at the 2013 U19 FIBA World Championships, when he led Australia to a bronze after putting up 18.2 points and 3.8 assists a game.

Exum went for 33 against Spain and 28 against Lithuania in July, earning the full attention of NBA onlookers in the process.

He's built a little like Wiggins—thin, yet incredibly explosive with a first step that makes him impossible to contain off the bounce.

At 6'6'', he's a ball-handling guard and problem for every opposing backcourt. The mismatch he presents is what really drives his unique NBA upside. He's got the skill set to play either the 1 or the 2 while maintaining a substantial physical advantage at each.

Quick, shifty and elusive, Exum draws a ton of fouls simply because nobody is able to stay in front of him.

With the ability to break down the defense and the instincts to know what's around it, he's a playmaking machine off the dribble.

As a scorer, Exum has the ability to completely take over a game. He's a tough cover whether he's generating offense with the ball in his hands or playing off of it as a 2-guard.

And though not the best shooter, Exum has tremendous confidence, which allows him to score points in a hurry or in bunches on the perimeter.

Like Wiggins, Exum is also dynamite in the open floor. And with a point guard's handle, he's able to initiate the break himself and take it coast to coast.

Defensively, Exum has massive potential with the foot speed, length and size to completely overwhelm. He's going to have a few extra inches in every direction against almost any point guard he faces.

Exum's two-way upside is really can't-miss, and makes the 2014 draft even more star-studded than it currently seems.

He's a game-changer. We just haven't seen anything like him, which really plays to his appeal as franchise guard. For Exum to go No. 1, we're probably going to need a general manager with maximum job security—especially with how well the American kids look this year.

But this isn't just another international prospect. Exum is the real deal, and should be considered a surefire challenger at the top of the lottery.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...raft-prospects
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

5. Like Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Eric Montross 00 wrote: View Post
    Wiggins definitely is the favorite for us, but in case whatever happens Marcus Smart is the real deal. Wiggins, Parker, Randel are all potential franchise changer, same thing with Smart but what set Smart different than any body else is he is a Point guard. Look at our team the biggest need is point guard this is why I am so high on him and this is why we really really need to tank this year if we don't get Wiggins that's fine we also get Smart instead. this is once in a century opportunity(sorry for the exaggeration).
    I would like to start a petition to permanently ban the use of expressions like: ".... our biggest need is...", "what our team needs is...", in reference to ANY draft for at least the next 2 seasons. lol. Raps need talent, period. And this team won't even look the same (hopefully) if it's anywhere close to what we are all looking for. This type of drafting-for-need thinking is what got us Ross over Drummond, for which we can squarely place the blame on BC & Casey.

7. Like Puffer, OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't Smart more of a combo guard. They're comparing his game to Harden's.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Isn't Smart more of a combo guard. They're comparing his game to Harden's.
    Maybe 10 years ago, he's a scoring guard with good size and good D. Stylistically he's like Harden (but better D) but his projected role will be more like Steph Curry, Russell Westbrook, etc.
    Whatever you do, do it the best you can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Speaking of Lillard. 2 years ago was where the Raptors should've tanked. It was the perfect situation. They had a bad team + short season.

Dwane Casey though was too busy building a "winning culture" that he didn't allow it to happen. Raptors won too many games. A couple more losses and they would've had a legit chance of drafting Lillard. Heck, the final game of the season against the Nets. If they threw that game away, Harrison Barnes would've been playing for the Raptors right now.
    This team would have been a lot better with Drummond (who was there for the taking) instead of Terrence Ross. Once the Ross pick was made, I cursed Colangelo out loud and then proceeded to get my fill of Stellas to drown my sorrow. But I still felt empty inside the day after. My word, did Colon-jello ever screw us over.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    I would like to start a petition to permanently ban the use of expressions like: ".... our biggest need is...", "what our team needs is...", in reference to ANY draft for at least the next 2 seasons. lol. Raps need talent, period. And this team won't even look the same (hopefully) if it's anywhere close to what we are all looking for. This type of drafting-for-need thinking is what got us Ross over Drummond, for which we can squarely place the blame on BC & Casey.
    Then answer my question why Magic traded their first overall pick Christ Webber for Penny Hardaway? yes both are talented players but it's more of a positional needs. Exactly happened here in this year's coming draft, we are talking about specifics here and just this year, Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Smart, and Embiid are all very talented players, but who do you pick as raptors, I think again their biggest need is at point guard and Smart fits perfectly.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    This team would have been a lot better with Drummond (who was there for the taking) instead of Terrence Ross. Once the Ross pick was made, I cursed Colangelo out loud and then proceeded to get my fill of Stellas to drown my sorrow. But I still felt empty inside the day after. My word, did Colon-jello ever screw us over.
    I think the Ross-Drummond thing is not entirely Colangelo's fault, the reason why we have the Ross-Drummond topic is entirely based on the performance of Jonas Valanciunas, because JV isn't playing or at the same level as Drummond. This is why we should blaming the coaching stuff on JV's development and JV actual play on the court. I still believe Bargnani's failure was some part our own fault, I mean "ours" are the coaching stuff, management both Colangelo and Ghardini. Not many people give credits to Butch Carter and Kevin O'neal, both of them had short career and losing seasons with the raptors but they developed Vince Carter and Chris Bosh into all-stars. What worries me the most is okay Dwane Casey is a bad coach, but at least be a good development coach, I rather see raptors losing next 20 games but having JV scores 25-30 points and 15 rebounds per game.(JV has the potential to do that if he does record those stats we wouldn't have the Ross-Drummond conversations)

13. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Ross-Drummond thing is not entirely Colangelo's fault, the reason why we have the Ross-Drummond topic is entirely based on the performance of Jonas Valanciunas, because JV isn't playing or at the same level as Drummond....
    You always take the best talent, not the most needed talent, because you can trade the best talent for need +. BC could have showcased both JV and Drummond and then traded one of them for a player better than Ross. It's that simple.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    You always take the best talent, not the most needed talent, because you can trade the best talent for need +. BC could have showcased both JV and Drummond and then traded one of them for a player better than Ross. It's that simple.
    That night of the draft last year, Drummond wasn't considered the best talent, very simply fact if he was very talented why did he picked at 9th? I clearly remember last year's draft and the draft combine workout and the mock drafts, Drummond wasn't considered a top talent so from that perspective he wasn't even in the postion vs talent conversation. On top of that Ross was actually the talent over positional in your suggestion, look we had derozan at that time we picked position over talent and we had Derozan? bottom line, I agree with you we should pick talent over position but using ross and drummond example is not viable cause, number one Drummond at that time wasn't considered to be talented, and number two we picked Ross was not for positional need because we already had derzoan wouldn't make sense to pick another wingman, so we picked talent in Ross because of his shooting, athleticism, and his defense. Sometimes you need to consider position over talent look at the Atlanta Hawks, they need a point guard few years back, but instead they skip Deron Williams and Chris Paul by taking more talented Marvin Williams, now looking back was it a good pick talent over position? now it would make perfect sense that if we can have both extremely talented and also positional favorite which we have for this year's coming draft, and if we tank for bottom, worst five teams we have very high chance to draft him, so why we aren't taking? the player I am talking about is Marcus Smart.

Raptors Republic Starter peanutwoozle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    And a smart free agent acquisition in Matthews (offer sheet Utah couldn't match).

And a stellar draft night trade - 28 (Greene) and 33 (Dorsey) for 25 to get Batum in 2008. *BTW Raptor fans, the hate on BC for not using 17 to land Hibbert should be about Batum. Raps supposedly had promised Batum*

Trading a veteran (Wallace) that ended up being a #6 pick (Lillard).

Value free agent signings: Wright, Williams,.

Using cap space to take on players others teams are looking to move to make deasl (i.e. facilitating): Lopez, Thomas.

Still don't know what comes of McCollum.

The Portland model was essentially build through the draft (some picks worked: Lillard, some did not: Leonard), cut the dead weight contracts/players with no future with team, obtain financial flexibility, sign value contracts.

That sounds similar to a few posts I've read around here.
    From what I heard about Batum, BC went into the media and claimed that Batum had a heart condition, then Batum said he would never come here because of that.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

That night of the draft last year, Drummond wasn't considered the best talent, very simply fact if he was very talented why did he picked at 9th? I clearly remember last year's draft and the draft combine workout and the mock drafts, Drummond wasn't considered a top talent so from that perspective he wasn't even in the postion vs talent conversation. On top of that Ross was actually the talent over positional in your suggestion, look we had derozan at that time we picked position over talent and we had Derozan? bottom line, I agree with you we should pick talent over position but using ross and drummond example is not viable cause, number one Drummond at that time wasn't considered to be talented, and number two we picked Ross was not for positional need because we already had derzoan wouldn't make sense to pick another wingman, so we picked talent in Ross because of his shooting, athleticism, and his defense. Sometimes you need to consider position over talent look at the Atlanta Hawks, they need a point guard few years back, but instead they skip Deron Williams and Chris Paul by taking more talented Marvin Williams, now looking back was it a good pick talent over position? now it would make perfect sense that if we can have both extremely talented and also positional favorite which we have for this year's coming draft, and if we tank for bottom, worst five teams we have very high chance to draft him, so why we aren't taking? the player I am talking about is Marcus Smart.

I've posted this 2 times on this board already. The fact of the matter is that BC himself considered Drummond "top 5 talent", "top 3 physical specimen", and knowingly passed on him to draft Ross "for fit" and "mental makeup issues". Colangelo confirmed this himself, on the record, defending his selection.

BC said...
    "Picking eighth, I passed on somebody I consider a top-five talent in the draft because we felt like he didn’t have the right mental makeup. I passed on someone we thought was a top-three physical specimen because we felt he wasn’t the right fit for our team and didn’t have the right mental makeup."
    http://thebiglead.com/2012/11/16/bry...mental-makeup/

Dwane Casey is also an accomplice to this crime, as it is pretty clear from this interview right after Ross is drafted that Casey is really high on Ross and a strong supporter of the pick. Without knowing the details, I would go so far as to speculate that Casey was the main driver behind the Ross pick, based on his glowing comments.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly, Drummond was jockeying back and forth with Anthony Davis for the first half of the year for the #1 spot in mock drafts. The talent was always there.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

OC - Portland is a nice team, but they have a very limited ceiling. What are they ever going to accomplish in the Western Conference playoffs, really?

The take away from them is that they have had success by building an identity around Aldridge and finding guys who fit the mould.

The Raps need an identity to build around and fit players into, but they also need franchise talent to help define their identity. In some ways, tank/anti-tank comes down to which of those comes first - the chicken or the egg?

20. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post

Thread Information