Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: An Open Letter To Masai Ujiri

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

To you biirch and all the readers I apologize for the name calling. Its totally unacceptable. Your letter and approach totally neglects the average fan which out numbers us hardcore supporters. I would love to see JV and DD get that playoff experience and then share that experience with the new kids that will come in. Give the average fan something to be proud of. Its been 9years n more. A playoff series could rejuvenate the franchise , attract more talent. Create. A buzz in the city. But no u rather loose a next 3 years and HOPE the kid we draft turns into a superstart. Boston. Philly. Utah. Pheonix. All had play off runs in the last couple years. Their fanbase could say ok its time to rebuild. Raps have had nothing to rebuild from. That's what I mean by achieve something then rebuild. Managing a team has a lot to do with the business side and pleasing the fanbase.

Raptors Republic Starter peanutwoozle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shrub wrote: View Post
    I don't understand the discussion at all.
    Why do you feel like this is a problem you can solve?
    You're a fan enjoying a game.
    You are not involved.

I know my tone is probably coming off a little bullish and I don't mean to, it's not personal, I'm just frustrated by the subject and I think it's embarassing.
    I strongly recommend you guys un-sticky this thread and just chill.

As I see it, there is nothing fun or interesting about the discussion.
    And let's be real - it doesn't matter.

Is your interest basketball, or winning?
    Because you're not talking about basketball.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a great initiative... If it gets to MU!

Means little to nothing even if it gets to him tho...
    He already started the tanking program when he retained Casey for the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic All-Star iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote redyraptor wrote: View Post
    To you biirch and all the readers I apologize for the name calling. Its totally unacceptable. Your letter and approach totally neglects the average fan which out numbers us hardcore supporters. I would love to see JV and DD get that playoff experience and then share that experience with the new kids that will come in. Give the average fan something to be proud of. Its been 9years n more. A playoff series could rejuvenate the franchise , attract more talent. Create. A buzz in the city. But no u rather loose a next 3 years and HOPE the kid we draft turns into a superstart. Boston. Philly. Utah. Pheonix. All had play off runs in the last couple years. Their fanbase could say ok its time to rebuild. Raps have had nothing to rebuild from. That's what I mean by achieve something then rebuild. Managing a team has a lot to do with the business side and pleasing the fanbase.
    You really think prospects/stars have been dying to join the hawks/bucks/teams who regularly make the playoffs but never have anything to show for it? Jesus Christ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5. Like mcHAPPY, OldSkoolCool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

updated the petition with the letter. thanks to everyone who has supported thus far. to those thinking what's the difference they won't listen...I say to you...just sign the damn thing it will cost you five life seconds and zero dollars

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Why is this a sticky?

The obsession with tanking around here is disguisting.
    You are in the minority. Majority of hard core posters here are pro-tanker.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    hahahaha i actually laughed.

If 80% of the site is saying the same thing about the team then Masai for sure knows about it as well. The difference is, we may see it differently than he does.
    Let's he is open to looking and assessing all sides. BC would just try to present his side in media without consideration that he might be wrong. I still wish he had drafted Drummond over TRoss as I think we would be farther ahead now.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Let's he is open to looking and assessing all sides. BC would just try to present his side in media without consideration that he might be wrong. I still wish he had drafted Drummond over TRoss as I think we would be farther ahead now.
    And with another monster game today Drummond just rubs salt even more

Post Thanks / Like

Someone helped me track down Masai's email address. SOOOO I sent him this. I might get an autoreply, or a thanks for writing reply, but if I get anything substantial I will be sure to share it.

Dear Masai Ujiri,

I have been a Raptors fan since Zan Tabak was patrolling the paint. After the recent heartbreaking loss to the Warriors, and an open letter to you posted on a fan forum, I took it upon myself to start a petition.

First, the petition started approximately ten hours ago is located here:

https://www.change.org/petitions/map...ng-sustainable

I have also included the letter from the fan in this email that so adequately reflects how a lot of fans are feeling.

----------"An Open Letter to Masai Ujiri:

Dear Mr. Ujiri,

My name is Noah Burshtein, and for the last 18 years (since their inception), I have been an avid, and die-hard Toronto Raptors fan. I grew up on a steady diet of Damon Stoudemire rookie cards, Doug Christie three-pointers, and Vince Carter jerseys. My heart rose in my chest when Vince’s three clanked off back iron in Philly, and was crushed when McGrady decided he wanted to be the star of his own play elsewhere. I once tried to rationalize cheering for both Eric and Aaron Williams, and have spent hours googling potential diets for Lonny Baxter (note: none worked). I choose the Raptors over the Leafs, hardwood over ice, and the Dunk Contest over the Winter Classic. I am, in short, a Raptors fan.

And I, on behalf of Raptors Nation, have a plea.

As someone who is well-versed in both basketball lore and modern-day analytics, it has become quite clear to me that there are but two places that a contemporary NBA franchise should deign to reside in the standings: the top 5, or the bottom 5. Having lived in Toronto my whole life, I understand the difficulties in getting NBA free agents to choose to come to Canada. Our tax system takes more of their income, our weather doesn’t mimic Miami or LA, and our place in the eye of the national media makes major sponsorship deals difficult. I get it. There is no blame to lay there. Yet there is no denying that finishing in the no-mans-land that is the space between the top and bottom 5 only facilitates further mediocrity.

While I am sure you understand this concept of either “going for it” or “bottoming out,” I am not sure you understand the state of the Raptors fan base’s mindset right now. In this area, I admit, I have the advantage. I’m out in the stands, I’m on the internet, and I’m among friends in this regard. Masai, Raptors fans are prepared to lose. They are prepared to suffer. And they are prepared to exercise patience. We all understand.

We know what this year’s draft is. And we know it goes farther than Andrew.

Yes, we do all sit in our living rooms and stream Kansas games in hopes of catching a glimpse of brilliance from Torontonian Andrew Wiggins, who we all connect to through someone’s brother’s cousin’s uncle etc. But we, as a fan base, also watch a lot more college basketball than you might expect. We’re enraptured by Jabari Parker. We adore the ferocity of Julius Randle. We admire the collected heart of Aaron Gordon, Joel Embiid, Marcus Smart, and Dante Exum. And there’s more. We know that this year’s draft is the best in a decade. And we want in.

To win in this league one needs a superstar, one we don’t yet have. And we’re willing to endure losses to get one. We willingly watch Dwane Casey destroy Jonas’ confidence. We admire his ability to mismanage the end of close games. And we implore teams like the Warriors to overcome 27 point deficits. All in the name of loss.

Masai, this is a plea. Pull the trigger. Let Kyle compete elsewhere. Let Rudy wander to his next inefficient destination. This is Raptors Nation, saying we are okay with losing. We want the next Vince Carter, the one we grew up idolizing, the one who single-handedly put our city on the NBA map. And we will wait for him.

Welcome back to Toronto Masai. We hope you one day are the man to lead us to the promised land.

Noah Burshtein
    Raptors Nation" -------------

We are all aware you keep your cards close to your chest, and a lot of us have faith that based on your track record you are capable of constructing a well balanced, competitive team. Please know that a legitimate proper rebuild has never been done here...and if one were to be attempted, I for one would support it.

All the best and good luck with the team,

Timothy Hedden

11. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    You are in the minority. Majority of hard core posters here are pro-tanker.
    You're missing the point.

Masai doesn't care what you think, nor should he.
    Nor should any GM worth having.
    He doesn't care about your emotions, he cares about making the right decision.
    He doesn't know you, therefore he can't trust your "insight", therefore all of this is for naught.

That's the point.

I haven't given my opinion on whether or not I think tanking is a wise move.
    Fact is, I don't care.
    It's not my interest.
    All of this talk about tanking is just runaway emotion.
    I guess maybe that's where I'm in the minority - I'm more a basketball fan than a Raptors fan.
    They're my team, but their wins and losses are not my obsession.

You'll notice that word in my previous post as well.
    Obsession.

It's like most of you folks can't even enjoy the game.

Relax.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Nice first post and welcome to the Republic... you're home!

PS: I think all you need now is a tank avatar lol
    Apparently, the whole 'tanking' thing refers to going down in a swimming pool, not actual war tanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. I choose to be emotional about things. I choose to care. I find a sense of personal integrity, not just in basketball, but in life when I support something, stay loyal to something, and get to watch it become something better. I can watch and enjoy the technical aspects of basketball with 29 other teams, and I do. I love basketball, I love my team, so your opinion of how I should view the game and handle the ups and downs is noted, but filed appropriately.

15. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't know you, therefore he can't trust your "insight", therefore all of this is for naught.

That's the point.

Fact is, I don't care.
    It's not my interest.
    I guess maybe that's where I'm in the minority - I'm more a basketball fan than a Raptors fan.

Obsession.

Relax.
    We love the game. Watching how the Raptors play the game is disgraceful and if you loved the game you would want them to change it as fast as possible. It makes me cry how they play on the court sometimes...It's like you dont even enjoy the game

We love the Raptors, irrationally even

We think asset accumulation and freeing up cap space is the best way to improve this team.

You say you have no opinion, so why say that ours is irrational and unbecoming as fans?

Masai should care what we think, we are the ones paying to watch the team. And we say we want him to make us a winning team and that he is allowed to do whatever is needed, and that we support 'tanking' as one of those ways. We aren't telling him that he needs to trade player x for player y...its just coincidence that we do need to trade player x to get better

I hope he approaches things unemotionally and makes the right move, that's why he is the GM

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Apparently, the whole 'tanking' thing refers to going down in a swimming pool, not actual war tanks.
    Tanks also blow stuff up.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    Sorry. I choose to be emotional about things. I choose to care. I find a sense of personal integrity, not just in basketball, but in life when I support something, stay loyal to something, and get to watch it become something better. I can watch and enjoy the technical aspects of basketball with 29 other teams, and I do. I love basketball, I love my team, so your opinion of how I should view the game and handle the ups and downs is noted, but filed appropriately.
    Masai wants fans who care. Well said and Tank on brother.
    Whatever you do, do it the best you can

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the point.

Fact is, I don't care.
    It's not my interest.

Obsession.

Relax.
    Then what's the point of a forum?
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Rookie DaBlenda's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't watch games that Rautins does the colour on, the man never takes a breathe.
    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Bravo!

Tweet this to Devlin, Rautins, Jonesy, Smitty, etc. Somehow, someway, do everything in your power to make sure this letter ends up on Ujiri's desk.

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Tas from NBA TV's "The Starters" gave us a tweet last night regarding this:

22. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

To those thinking this letter is a waste of time....you're probably right.

But if there's even an outside chance this letter actually lands on Masai's lap, what's the harm? We waste countless hours posting junk on this forum just for shits & giggles. Why get so bent out of shape because 1 post is directed at someone important?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    To those thinking this letter is a waste of time....you're probably right.

But if there's even an outside chance this letter actually lands on Masai's lap, what's the harm? We waste countless hours posting junk on this forum just for shits & giggles. Why get so bent out of shape because 1 post is directed at someone important?
    Wait a minute, I thought Nilanka was someone important? Are you saying you are not Mr. Burns?!
    Whatever you do, do it the best you can

Thread Information