Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 233

Thread: An Open Letter To Masai Ujiri

  1. #161
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Nothing wrong with back and forths.

    Nothing wrong with differences of opinions.

    The problem is the personal level these things fall too. The grudges that are held and the vindictive nature in replies constantly trying to one up another poster on the most stupidest of details.

    I'm all for lively discussion but there is a reason why I stopped regularly reading/posting on the mainpage and there is a reason I'm now using the ignore list.

    I'm no saint in any of it, by the way. However I'd like to keep my own 'virtual' dignity in tact.
    I call it, "rivalries" hahaha

    and there's an ignore list?
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Thu Dec 5th, 2013 at 04:36 PM.

  2. #162
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    I call it, "rivalries" hahaha
    Fair enough.

    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  3. #163
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Depends. But the suggestion is takes 7 years is ludicrous. The Rockets rebuilt the entire team in about 3 years and stayed competitive the entire time.
    Houston again? Okay, let's do this again:

    1. The Harden trade was unprecedented, a result of the shift to the new CBA which made it impossible for OKC to keep Harden (from their financial standpoint, anyway), is not duplicable, and anyway Houston nearly missed out on Harden anyway because if we had been willing to deal Jonas we probably would have gotten him instead.

    2. Right now Houston is desperately trying to seek trade partners so they can move Omer Asik and they're trading at a disadvantage because everybody knows Asik wants out, because Houston signed a center on the promise that he would start, he gave them a career year and then they signed Dwight. Which is not to say signing Dwight was a bad move, but Houston's planning is far from perfect because now they are stuck with Asik and no opportunity to get a true rebounding PF (their last real need) unless they move him at a serious loss.

    I will repeat this as often as is necessary: THERE IS NO "HOUSTON MODEL." Not unless you think getting spectacularly lucky (and the Harden trade was a ridiculous opportunity that Houston rightly recognized as a winning lotto ticket) counts as a "model."

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    He isn't being sensitive, he's a grown up that is annoyed at some posting on this thread that is really fucking out to lunch as far as the posters seeming to think they have the efficacy to shit all over other people.

    Adults get irritated when young "know it alls" blather on like they know it all, not even remotely recognizing that they have missed the point completely. Its fucking embarrassing man, made eve worse by their inability to even recognize that they should in fact be embarrassed.
    I can relate to that. In fact most of my shot taking is directed at the blathering "know it alls". What I don't get is the reference to Matt52 being irritated by them, seeing as he's one of the biggest "fucking" culprits, regardless of the occasional "I could be wrong" blather. Personally I barely ever profess to knowing a damn thing, except what I feel about some peoples' attitudes. I question peoples' "facts" and opinions, as in giving my opinions as a counter argument. Is that an adult thing to do in a forum, or are there strict rules against shitting all over stupidity?

  5. #165
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,921
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    I can relate to that. In fact most of my shot taking is directed at the blathering "know it alls". What I don't get is the reference to Matt52 being irritated by them, seeing as he's one of the biggest "fucking" culprits, regardless of the occasional "I could be wrong" blather. Personally I barely ever profess to knowing a damn thing, except what I feel about some peoples' attitudes. I question peoples' "facts" and opinions, as in giving my opinions as a counter argument. Is that an adult thing to do in a forum, are there strict rules against shitting all over stupidity?
    Dude come on, we've moved past this. Everyone just wants to hear well constructed, well though out opinions about the Raptors. We should all strive to add something constructive to the debate, no matter which side its on.

  6. #166
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Is anyone else worried that Masai still uses a blackberry? I'm not gonna lie, my confidence is a little shaken...
    Last edited by Employee; Thu Dec 5th, 2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  7. Like JawsGT liked this post
  8. #167
    Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote p00ka wrote: View Post
    I can relate to that. In fact most of my shot taking is directed at the blathering "know it alls". What I don't get is the reference to Matt52 being irritated by them, seeing as he's one of the biggest "fucking" culprits, regardless of the occasional "I could be wrong" blather. Personally I barely ever profess to knowing a damn thing, except what I feel about some peoples' attitudes. I question peoples' "facts" and opinions, as in giving my opinions as a counter argument. Is that an adult thing to do in a forum, or are there strict rules against shitting all over stupidity?
    I think I'm probably on the 'blathering know it all' list, and I'm OK with that, since this is a discussion forum and from what I see, it usually cuts both ways.

    For what it's worth, I've at times in the past agreed with both you and Matt52 on various issues, and disagreed just as often with both of you (with you, if I recall, our agreements were mostly last year on the front pages, where I don't go anymore). I don't get the tone you're taking from Matt at all. I think you might consider that you've taken that one particular 'relationship'/'rivalry'/whatever a little too personal, and in the long course of your mutual back-and-forth, it's taken on a life that it never really had. Just something to consider.

    [/end amateur psychoanalysis]
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

  9. Like p00ka liked this post
  10. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Dude come on, we've moved past this. Everyone just wants to hear well constructed, well though out opinions about the Raptors. We should all strive to add something constructive to the debate, no matter which side its on.
    Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    I think I'm probably on the 'blathering know it all' list, and I'm OK with that, since this is a discussion forum and from what I see, it usually cuts both ways.

    For what it's worth, I've at times in the past agreed with both you and Matt52 on various issues, and disagreed just as often with both of you (with you, if I recall, our agreements were mostly last year on the front pages, where I don't go anymore). I don't get the tone you're taking from Matt at all. I think you might consider that you've taken that one particular 'relationship'/'rivalry'/whatever a little too personal, and in the long course of your mutual back-and-forth, it's taken on a life that it never really had. Just something to consider.

    [/end amateur psychoanalysis]
    Agree with both of you, though I'd say there's plenty of evidence that "tone" and "taking it personal" are two way streets here. There's always another side of the coin, and I couldn't tell you how it started, but we both irritate each other, for different reasons. Awww, it's the internet. IMO, nothing wrong with a little spice in the discussion, and there's always the Ignore option for those that can't handle it.

  11. #169
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    Is anyone else worried that Masai still uses a blackberry? I'm not gonna lie, my confidence is a little shaken...
    They're partners with MLSE. All the players have them too(whether or not they use them is another thing). Plus they're still useful for businesses if nothing else.

  12. #170
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Well said.

    I've had enough of it.

    My apologies to those who have had to live with my petty back and forths with posters.

    My ignore list is filling up.

    If you don't enjoy my ideas or posts, ignore me too please!

    If you've already done so, thank you kindly!
    Matt. I don't always agree with you but I am always curious for your perspective on things. You usually have a valid logical reason for what you say. It is ok to disagree but we all need to avoid name calling. Many posters are emotionally invested in the Raptors and sometimes respond on an emotional level rather than on an intellectual level. I love posters with that raw emotion. Unfortunately I suspect there are fewer and fewer. This organization runs a real risk of more and more fans becoming disinterested and disengaged.

  13. #171
    Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    This organization runs a real risk of more and more fans becoming disinterested and disengaged.
    That is what happens when you treadmill with an eye-gouging basketball team. Either give the fans hope (Wiggins), or give them 50+ wins each season to look forward to

    The fans have emotionally checked out because we currently have neither

  14. #172
    Raptors Republic Starter rapfan10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Unsticky this thing is old now

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

  15. #173
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,973
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote rapfan10 wrote: View Post
    Unsticky this thing is old now

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    when you are a moderator you can decide what is sticky and what isn't.

  16. #174
    Raptors Republic Starter peanutwoozle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    That is what happens when you treadmill with an eye-gouging basketball team. Either give the fans hope (Wiggins), or give them 50+ wins each season to look forward to

    The fans have emotionally checked out because we currently have neither
    is Wiggins 100% guaranteed?

  17. #175
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
    is Wiggins 100% guaranteed?
    You know, you can really stop this schtick of pretending that every time somebody mentions Wiggins as an example of what we should be aiming for, we are instead saying "if we do this WE ARE GUARANTEED WIGGINS" because it's really annoying as all hell.

  18. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I say if Gay, DeRozan and Lowry aren't all wearing different jerseys by December 15th, we fire Masai.

    Sick of this wait-and-see. TAKE ACTION!

  19. #177
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    He actually corrected himself and said from tear down to rebuild, 7-8 years.

    Rockets didnt pin their hopes on a draft pick. They went out and got Harden and Howard.
    No one is pinning their hopes on one draft pick. That's stupid and any team with that view deserves to be terrible for 7 years.

    Look at the Suns. They have traded a slew of bodies for picks and have sacrificed for the future but they are still miles better than the Raptors and their collection of WIN NOW players. Plus, the Suns have 4 first rounders in the deepest draft in years and at least 3 of those will be good picks. The WIN NOW Raptors on the other hand have next to nothing to show for years of awfulness, very few future assets, and sit at 6-11. That's the competitive team Dougie yearns for.... good grief.

    Point is: it doesn't take 7 years to rebuild a roster, including tearing it down. That is ridiculous.

  20. Like OldSkoolCool, mcHAPPY liked this post
  21. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,022
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    No one is pinning their hopes on one draft pick. That's stupid and any team with that view deserves to be terrible for 7 years.

    Look at the Suns. They have traded a slew of bodies for picks and have sacrificed for the future but they are still miles better than the Raptors and their collection of WIN NOW players. Plus, the Suns have 4 first rounders in the deepest draft in years and at least 3 of those will be good picks. The WIN NOW Raptors on the other hand have next to nothing to show for years of awfulness, very few future assets, and sit at 6-11. That's the competitive team Dougie yearns for.... good grief.

    Point is: it doesn't take 7 years to rebuild a roster, including tearing it down. That is ridiculous.
    Thing is, they have already been re-building for 4-5 years,,,,, and:

    "next to nothing to show for years of awfulness"----- except 3 lottery picks, 5th,8th,9th, the oldest being barely 24. You may not be impressed with them, but 2 are barely getting their feet wet as sophomores, and DD is a much more valuable piece than some choose to give him credit for. People pinning their hopes on, and wanting to go hard after this draft, want to give away 2 of them, which seems counter to the tank-to-get-prospects rhetoric, when you're giving away prospects that could be better than what you get back.

    "very few future assets",,,,,, all future first rounders plus an additional one in 2016 is "very few"?

    It's one thing to be down on the team, but another to paint a picture far worse than reality. Regardless of how deep in boys this draft is supposed to be, it's still a crapshoot of "potential", and this tanking plan that most propose includes giving up 2 promising young lottery picks, in hopes of getting 1 that may not be as good as either one given up. Sounds like a game of Roulette, just as likely to wind up with a bullet in the noggin.
    Last edited by p00ka; Fri Dec 6th, 2013 at 02:48 PM.

  22. Like NoPropsneeded liked this post
  23. #179
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Markham, Ontario
    Posts
    2,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Fair enough.

    Matt, not sure if this has been asked before, but im asking anyways, and this is not a slight question, i really do want to know.

    Lets say the Raptors tank, get rid of Gay, DD, Lowry. Losing record, top 3 pick. What if the pick turns out to be a dud. So another losing season, and again high draft pick. This time, the pick turns out to be a franchise player, potential all-star, etc etc.

    How do the Raptors move forward from here?

    What would be the general plan that they should follow?

    Coz everybody seems to agree that tanking is the solution (me included) but nobody seems to outline a plan that should be followed incase A (pick is a franchise player) or B (bust) happens (me included).

    I just saw CalgaryRaps log in so you can answer this too dude, hehehe
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Fri Dec 6th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

  24. #180
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Matt, not sure if this has been asked before, but im asking anyways, and this is not a slight question, i really do want to know.

    Lets say the Raptors tank, get rid of Gay, DD, Lowry. Losing record, top 3 pick. What if the pick turns out to be a dud. So another losing season, and again high draft pick. This time, the pick turns out to be a franchise player, potential all-star, etc etc.

    How do the Raptors move forward from here?

    What would be the general plan that they should follow?

    Coz everybody seems to agree that tanking is the solution (me included) but nobody seems to outline a plan that should be followed incase A (pick is a franchise player) or B (bust) happens (me included).
    If the team went into that extreme of a tank, they should have accumulated young prospects, additional draft picks and lots of cap space. Even if a single draft pick doesn't pan out immediately, I would hope that MU would stay the course of a proper rebuild, rather than panic and look for a Band-Aid solution. The whole point of some degree of rebuild/tank is to do a proper, methodical team build, so it will take at least a couple years and won't rely on a single pick/player to be successful. Drafting an absolute dud with a high 2014 1st round pick would hurt and likely set the process back an extra year, but stay the course.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •