Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 94

Thread: The biggest fear for those hoping for a top pick

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,649
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The biggest fear for those hoping for a top pick

    New Raptors front-office boss Masai Ujiri has managed to trade away Andrea Bargnani and now Gay over the past six months to create financial flexibility going forward and -- with Toronto apparently determined to avoid any accidental success in the Atlanta Division -- is said to be happy to surrender veteran point guard Kyle Lowry next.

    The priority in Toronto is clearly finishing as high as possible in the lottery with Canadian sensation Andrew Wiggins and several other top prospects expected to be available to teams picking at the top of the June draft.
    Lowry is in the final year of his contact at an affordable $6.2 million and believed to be eminently available because he's not part of Toronto's future plans.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/p...t-done-dealing
    With news the Raptors are looking to trade away anyone and everyone who could contribute to wins, here are my fears:

    1) Rudy was a really bad influence in the locker room and on the floor. With him gone the players come together on and off the court.

    2) Guys start being *gasp* professional and take insult at the insinuation they suck and are key cogs in a tank machine. See Evan Turner comments or Jared Sullinger comments.


    Hopefully the fact talent matters in the NBA becomes a real issue and we are not forced to watch another crap Casey team over achieve..... although this time around I don't think Masai passes on a Drummond equivalent.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,649
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It’s not even inconceivable that the Raptors could benefit competitively. Greivis Vasquez immediately improves the backup point guard position. Chuck Hayes and Patrick Patterson are passable depth bigs and John Salmons can backup both wing positions.
    It would seem the tank is on but in the bizarrely weak Eastern Conference, with features Indiana and Miami at the top and 14 teams that should be 8th seeds at best, the Raptors might even improve their playoff hopes.

    If it happens it would at least be as result of players that could be part of the future: a growing Jonas Valanciunas or a fast-developing Ross, for example.

    If that’s how the Raptors miss out on what seems like a conference-wide effort to get in the draft lottery to get a shot at the likes of Thornhill, Ont.’s Andrew Wiggins or the half-dozen or so other All-Star calibre prospects available in the June 2014 draft, it will be a lot more tolerable than squeezing in because Gay somehow got them there.

    But more likely is the Gay move signals a recognition that now is not the time to be chasing the fool’s gold of a playoff berth.
    Chances are Ujiri will be looking to shed anyone on the roster other than Valanciunas or DeMar DeRozan.
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...ptors-rebuild/
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think this deals improves our record by 3 or 4 wins. Not a huge shift, but enough to move us out of top 5 pick and we likely end with the 8 pick. But with the cap savings and potential for additional assets coming in, I'm perfectly ok with that.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DeMar Derozan & Jonas Valanciunas show is about to begin!

    SO EXCITED ABOUT THE FUTURE!

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    I think this deals improves our record by 3 or 4 wins. Not a huge shift, but enough to move us out of top 5 pick and we likely end with the 8 pick. But with the cap savings and potential for additional assets coming in, I'm perfectly ok with that.
    I agree that id MU stopped here, that would be a likely result. I don't think he is stopping here. I expect Lowry and Ross to go along with Patterson and Novak.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I agree that id MU stopped here, that would be a likely result. I don't think he is stopping here. I expect Lowry and Ross to go along with Patterson and Novak.
    That is the hope, but as it stands, we are still in a good spot even without additional moves.

    I think Vasquez, Patterson, Hayes are all likely shipped out at some point. Hayes might not happen until draft night, which might mean Hansbrough gets dealt earlier.

    I don't think Ross goes unless it is part of a big haul (ie - 2014 first rounder). I think getting one of Chicago's picks is now more attainable with our flexibility and expirings.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,783
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    ...I don't think Ross goes unless it is part of a big haul (ie - 2014 first rounder). I think getting one of Chicago's picks is now more attainable with our flexibility and expirings.
    Yeah, that would be the point.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    I think this deals improves our record by 3 or 4 wins. Not a huge shift, but enough to move us out of top 5 pick and we likely end with the 8 pick. But with the cap savings and potential for additional assets coming in, I'm perfectly ok with that.
    If you look at the bottom worst teams right now, Milwaukee I think are underachieved they should be in the range similar to Detroit or Washington at, both Knicks and Nets are still considered playoff teams from those TNT analyst, where they could finish off from 6-8th seed. So at this point clearly the worst or guaranteed bottom 5 teams I would say are the jazz and Kings, and I predict Cavs will also again finish in the top five worst teams and Raptors are in battle with Sixers and Magic for the top five spots. Bucks is only 3.5 games under the Raptors so if Raps choose to tank at this point of the season they may possible be the worst team in the conference in early January.

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Montross 00 wrote: View Post
    If you look at the bottom worst teams right now, Milwaukee I think are underachieved they should be in the range similar to Detroit or Washington at, both Knicks and Nets are still considered playoff teams from those TNT analyst, where they could finish off from 6-8th seed. So at this point clearly the worst or guaranteed bottom 5 teams I would say are the jazz and Kings, and I predict Cavs will also again finish in the top five worst teams and Raptors are in battle with Sixers and Magic for the top five spots. Bucks is only 3.5 games under the Raptors so if Raps choose to tank at this point of the season they may possible be the worst team in the conference in early January.
    Based on the current roster, I see a few more wins. Gay is an addition by subtraction. Vasquez helps the 2nd unit run.

    We could very likely end up with a top pick because of more moves that will, likely and hopefully, happen, but as it stands, based on talent and fit, I see us likely as the 8th pick.

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,649
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    None of the newly acquired pieces could be around long, for that matter, and sources say none of their new teammates are guaranteed to be a part of the future in Toronto, either. Not DeMar DeRozan, certainly not Kyle Lowry, and maybe not even Jonas Valanciunas, though heís the least likely of all to be departing.

    http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/08...ockbuster-deal

    Yikes!

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    None of the newly acquired pieces could be around long, for that matter, and sources say none of their new teammates are guaranteed to be a part of the future in Toronto, either. Not DeMar DeRozan, certainly not Kyle Lowry, and maybe not even Jonas Valanciunas, though he’s the least likely of all to be departing.

    http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/08...ockbuster-deal

    Yikes!
    1 week till December 15th.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If I see what i saw last night in LA, then yes, this move will confirm my greatest fear, that of the Raptors benefiting from the loss of a guy that made playing proper ball impossible.

    I see Toronto easily climbing to the top of the Atlantic if they play like this. and that my friends is the ultimate failure.

    Kyle Lowry, for whatever reason, decided last night to show me, and anyone else who was interested, that he can actually play PG when he is motivated to do so. Why? Who knows, perhaps he knows a trade to a favourable location is close and he is helping to make it happen, who knows, but this move, for one night anyhow, has seemingly freed up an average team from playing badly. Average teams...... fuck, average teams get the 15th pick.

    This is my fear. And I guarantee unless MU does something fast, it wont matter, too late, you simply cannot aford wins in a tank race, one win is worth 3.

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Based on the current roster, I see a few more wins. Gay is an addition by subtraction. Vasquez helps the 2nd unit run.

    We could very likely end up with a top pick because of more moves that will, likely and hopefully, happen, but as it stands, based on talent and fit, I see us likely as the 8th pick.
    As I was checking the standings, I think teams that will finished at 8th are more like the Sixers or the Magic, and I think Raptors will lose more games than these two teams. Remember as I said you probably including Knicks and Nets in that 1-7 picks, but in reality both Knicks and Nets will making moves to save the season after Dec.15th, they were contenders and now a top five pick teams and in worst of it none of them have 1st round picks this year. So again both Knicks and Nets will fight for the playoff spots and it's actually quiet achievable in the Atlantic Division, so I expect them to finish if not 12-15 th but no worst than 10th. So in a more realistic picture we have is Raptors is sitting right at the 6th spot and will have close records with the sixers and magics.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default The biggest fear for those hoping for a top pick

    Man these threads are sickening


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Mon Dec 9th, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
    @Chr1st1anL

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    None of the newly acquired pieces could be around long, for that matter, and sources say none of their new teammates are guaranteed to be a part of the future in Toronto, either. Not DeMar DeRozan, certainly not Kyle Lowry, and maybe not even Jonas Valanciunas, though he’s the least likely of all to be departing.

    http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/08...ockbuster-deal

    Yikes!


    tim Lieweke represented by the Kool-aid man.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    72
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    If I see what i saw last night in LA, then yes, this move will confirm my greatest fear, that of the Raptors benefiting from the loss of a guy that made playing proper ball impossible.

    I see Toronto easily climbing to the top of the Atlantic if they play like this. and that my friends is the ultimate failure.

    Kyle Lowry, for whatever reason, decided last night to show me, and anyone else who was interested, that he can actually play PG when he is motivated to do so. Why? Who knows, perhaps he knows a trade to a favourable location is close and he is helping to make it happen, who knows, but this move, for one night anyhow, has seemingly freed up an average team from playing badly. Average teams...... fuck, average teams get the 15th pick.

    This is my fear. And I guarantee unless MU does something fast, it wont matter, too late, you simply cannot aford wins in a tank race, one win is worth 3.
    After the Spurs game and we lost to 40 points we are in completely different conversations. Instead of thinking how many Raptors are going to win, I think it makes more sense to actually compare Raptors to other teams who are now fighting for worst spots. Are teams like Sixers, Magic better than the Raptors? I agree with you after watching the lakers game and the Gay trade I would say they are about the same talent levels, if those two teams out competed the Raptors, then we should be around at the 5th or 6th worst spots. I said it before Knicks and Nets will go out and surpass all the above teams I mentioned, and Bucks will also climbing up and should be at the similar spots with Raptors , Magic and Sixers.

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,649
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Man these threads are sickening


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Then don't read them.

    You might not like the realities of the NBA but you have to respect them.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Then don't read them.

    You might not like the realities of the NBA but you have to respect them.
    Respect that everybody is ok with losing on purpose. No shame and form does that deserve respect. The fact that people our upset that we're going to be seeing good basketball and people our worried we're going to win a few more wins?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    3,066
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Eric Montross 00 wrote: View Post
    As I was checking the standings, I think teams that will finished at 8th are more like the Sixers or the Magic, and I think Raptors will lose more games than these two teams. Remember as I said you probably including Knicks and Nets in that 1-7 picks, but in reality both Knicks and Nets will making moves to save the season after Dec.15th, they were contenders and now a top five pick teams and in worst of it none of them have 1st round picks this year. So again both Knicks and Nets will fight for the playoff spots and it's actually quiet achievable in the Atlantic Division, so I expect them to finish if not 12-15 th but no worst than 10th. So in a more realistic picture we have is Raptors is sitting right at the 6th spot and will have close records with the sixers and magics.
    I wasn't considering either of those teams, so you're assumption is wrong. As things currently project (not predicting future moves by teams), Bucks, Magic, 76ers are below us and will likely stay that way. Jazz and Kings are below us and will likely stay that way. There's 5 already. Suns will drop (too tough in the West to stay at .500), so that's 6. Safe to say that one of: Cavs, Bulls, Bobcats, Celtics, Wolves, Grizzlies will drop, so that takes us to 8 or higher.

    Of course, further moves (league wide) will change a lot, so it's all kinda irrelevant.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Sorry buddy, nobody is asking them to try to lose, give you effin head a shake. Were just recognizing the very real chance that they might be too good to lose enough, and we hate it, because its gonna fuck them in the long run.

    If you don't understand this, I can't help you. When the other 4-5 teams that suck grab up on the top guys who become the lebrons, wades, durats etc of the NBA, and Toronto is still shit, well all you idealists can smile and be happy your boys did their best to put an average team on the floor.

    The Leafs have done it for the better part of 20 years now.... look how well it works for them, full house, ZERO success.

    Lame.

    Shortsighted

    inept.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •