Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The biggest fear for those hoping for a top pick

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    Hey I'm with you. I don't really like the idea of losing games all the time especially because we've been loser for a couple years now. I've always wanted to go to a playoff game as I have never been to one before. Though I don't like losing and want to win now, if tanking is the answer to get us into exciting contention in the future, then I can live with another season on losing. I mean we're Raptors fans. We're used to it by now. Also, come on. Don't tell me you don't get a little excited with the possibility of Wiggins, Parker, Smart, or Exum in a Raptors uniform :P

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
    This needs to stop being used in anti-tank arguments right now. The past is the past, it should not have an effect on what goes on with the team in the present.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    You've convinced me you were never a competitor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Say that to me, I dare you.

I'm convinced you still need to grow up and learn how the world works. The minute you leave amateur sports, you are in the world of sports entertainment, its a business, and in an business often the only way forward is to take a few steps back.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I want to hear more about this gang of miscreants where Matt is the ringleader!

I've been thinking about this stuff in regards to "addition by subtraction". Does trading Rudy Gay really make us better?
    Its one game, but look at what Amir did with the extra touches.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

yup very valid concern. With a pass first point guard (vasquez), a floor stretching big in patterson, this could be a very cohesive offense. And let's give credit where it's due, casey managed to mask the defensive weaknesses of jose and bargnani extremely well in 2011-2012.

All that being said, there are still moves to be made, and losing derozan would go a long way, he is the only wing on the team who is decent at creating his own shot. Especially, if we make trades that net us young inexperienced prospects that can't help us win now. I've said this before but I would be overjoyed if we ended up getting anthony bennett and/or dennis schroder.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit much hand wringing by tank-nation (but I feel a twinge too!).

For starters, yes the tank got derailed in LA last night but lets not forget that Amir must have scored some "good stuff" in Venice because he was unconscious with his 32 pts on 13 for 15 shooting (?). How often is he going to do that? Lowry played like a dervish too and must have bee trying to impress Jack Nicholson or the ladies come out for the Mamba's return...more likely he of course knew that at least most of the western conference was watching that game and he is working for his next contract isnt he?

But we also have Chisolm's piece on the main page which also cogently lays out the integration of the in coming players into this team. Drats for the tank! However, my crystal ball (and it hasnt wavered so far on it's musings of MU's plans) tells me that Masai still has his eyes on the upper reaches of this draft. In order to do this as well as incorporate that other pillar of the rebuild (draft picks) I see him flipping some of them in other deals (Dec 15-19th) in addition to Lowry & Novak in the least. A tricky manouever no doubt.

The tank shall be righted yet progress for the team achieved. Unhappily, this is a paradoxic set of objectives that still seems to escape some of our brothers here.

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I want to hear more about this gang of miscreants where Matt is the ringleader!
    Psst, e, I think you are IN it... ;-)

First rule of Tank Club -- you don't talk about Tank Club.
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

7. Like Jclaw, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote jimmie wrote: View Post
    Psst, e, I think you are IN it... ;-)

First rule of Tank Club -- you don't talk about Tank Club.
    Second rule of Tank Club -- you must change your avatar

9. Like jimmie liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the team is definitely better with the shortened rotation we saw last night. It likely gets worse again when the new players report - only Vaszquez over Stone should play over the 8 player rotation used last night if we were actually trying to win. The key to keeping the tank rolling until Lowry is dealt is how many minutes we can force feed John Salmons. If he plays enough minutes he'll get up enough shots to offset the loss of Gay's contribution to the tank.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tsc8 wrote: View Post
    I think the team is definitely better with the shortened rotation we saw last night. It likely gets worse again when the new players report - only Vaszquez over Stone should play over the 8 player rotation used last night if we were actually trying to win. The key to keeping the tank rolling until Lowry is dealt is how many minutes we can force feed John Salmons. If he plays enough minutes he'll get up enough shots to offset the loss of Gay's contribution to the tank.
    lol, I was thinking the same thing last night. Casey was forced to use a tight rotation, and low and behold, it worked!

The moral of the story, put Casey in a position where he doesn't have to think
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    DeMar Derozan & Jonas Valanciunas show is about to begin!

SO EXCITED ABOUT THE FUTURE!
    To be honest, it wouldnt surprise me if DD gets moved. If the Raps are really 'tanking' like a lot of people are saying then DD needs to go along with Amir. They better get something in return for him though. A 1st round pick or a young player with upside.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The team not only covets a top-five pick in the 2014 draft; management believes there is a path to acquiring another first-round pick in the top 15.
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor..._on_kelly.html

I sincerely hope that acquiring another 1st round pick is a priority. Was hoping a pick would be included in the Gay trade.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

14. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post

I sincerely hope that acquiring another 1st round pick is a priority. Was hoping a pick would be included in the Gay trade.
    Interesting. Management believes they can get another lottery pick...

Man, got some serious post-trade malaise. Want more things to happen now....

16. Like Nilanka, CalgaryRapsFan, thead, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope Kelly is right.

I'm not sure how it happens unless you take on an albatross of a contract (Boozer) or give up DeRozan or JV.

Prove me wrong, Masai!

I continue to hold out hope there is an option for Toronto to swap picks with Sacramento should they get one but the more I think about this trade and the flexibility it opens up moving forward I don't think that happens.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

In Messiah We Trust

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post

Kelly can be funny...I liked this: "This is a delicate sort of Tank. You can’t just blow a hole in the hull. You need to slip beneath the waves quietly, while also releasing a few life rafts." LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Interesting. Management believes they can get another lottery pick...

Man, got some serious post-trade malaise. Want more things to happen now....
    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I hope Kelly is right.

I'm not sure how it happens unless you take on an albatross of a contract (Boozer) or give up DeRozan or JV.

Prove me wrong, Masai!

I continue to hold out hope there is an option for Toronto to swap picks with Sacramento should they get one but the more I think about this trade and the flexibility it opens up moving forward I don't think that happens.
    I assume DeRozan is the asset most likely to net the Raptors a guaranteed lottery pick, but I fear that trading him during the season could help lift that team out of the lottery (especially given the extremely wide open EC playoff race). I wonder if MU might keep a player like DeRozan until the draft, trading him for a known pick, rather than risk seeing the return fizzle to either a mid-1st or future 1st round pick?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I assume DeRozan is the asset most likely to net the Raptors a guaranteed lottery pick, but I fear that trading him during the season could help lift that team out of the lottery (especially given the extremely wide open EC playoff race). I wonder if MU might keep a player like DeRozan until the draft, trading him for a known pick, rather than risk seeing the return fizzle to either a mid-1st or future 1st round pick?
    I'm all about obtaining as many 1st as possible over the next 3 drafts - '14, '15, '16.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I hope Kelly is right.

Prove me wrong, Masai!

Don't forget that now we have a lot more movable pieces. Lots of manageable contracts.

I could see a team that needs both backcourt and frontcourt depth giving us a pretty decent pick for, say, Vasquez and Hansbrough, or something along those lines where we can send two serviceable players to a mediocre team and end up with a pick in the 12-20 range or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    See my above post, but I feel like with the extra pieces on manageable deals, it will be easier to find a deal. Might not have to trade DeMar. Amir, Lowry, Vasquez, Patterson, Hansbrough, Novak, Ross (who I'd rather keep)....lots of guys with movable deals who can realistically attract interest. Not sure if that necessarily makes a 1st rd pick attainable, but it certainly opens up much more options.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    See my above post, but I feel like with the extra pieces on manageable deals, it will be easier to find a deal. Might not have to trade DeMar. Amir, Lowry, Vasquez, Patterson, Hansbrough, Novak, Ross (who I'd rather keep)....lots of guys with movable deals who can realistically attract interest. Not sure if that necessarily makes a 1st rd pick attainable, but it certainly opens up much more options.
    Oh very true, I think the Raps have loads of tradeable assets, but I was talking specifically about the article that alluded to management seeming to have a path to another lottery pick. I suppose packaging a number of assets could achieve that.

Charlotte needs SF help, with MKG and now Taylor injured. Toronto may not have Gay to offer, but they still have some decent players and could figure out a trade to assume Gordon's contract, should he be accompanied by a lottery pick. (as an example)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information