Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    The sooner the losing stops the better.
    Agreed, the sooner we stop losing sight of our long term goals for short terms benefits the better.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      Agreed, the sooner we stop losing sight of our long term goals for short terms benefits the better.
      Congratulation to tank nation for getting what they want this year..but since the luck of the draw works in cycle , we will most likely get a pick outside the top 5..and then which worthwhile would want to come here.. cold, more taxes and bad team for another 3 years.. the only way we get a top notch free agent is if we overpay just as BC has been doing the last 7 years..to auote another reader "Lowry is now the best point guard this team has had since Mighty Mouse left town so long ago. Now we're about to run him out of town as well. And I'm willing to bet we won't be getting four quarters for our dollar in return. So what if we will have cap space. History has proven that top notch free agents aren't interested."

This statement is true.. if you can find me another PG willing to come to Toronto to play at KL level for less than 12 million next..please tell me who.... I am for getting better but free agency is not the option.. If we can resign KL for a reasonable then we can talk trade where significant can come back to help win sooner rather than later..

Comment

15strong wrote: View Post
        Congratulation to tank nation for getting what they want this year..but since the luck of the draw works in cycle , we will most likely get a pick outside the top 5..and then which worthwhile would want to come here.. cold, more taxes and bad team for another 3 years.. the only way we get a top notch free agent is if we overpay just as BC has been doing the last 7 years..to auote another reader "Lowry is now the best point guard this team has had since Mighty Mouse left town so long ago. Now we're about to run him out of town as well. And I'm willing to bet we won't be getting four quarters for our dollar in return. So what if we will have cap space. History has proven that top notch free agents aren't interested."

This statement is true.. if you can find me another PG willing to come to Toronto to play at KL level for less than 12 million next..please tell me who.... I am for getting better but free agency is not the option.. If we can resign KL for a reasonable then we can talk trade where significant can come back to help win sooner rather than later..
        How do you know Lowry would even entertain the idea of signing here?

Comment

The PG options at the top of my list are Dante Exum and Marcus Smart. It gets a little more fuzzy after that, but there are certainly lots of options that won't cost $12 million.

Can you also prove that "luck" works in cycles? Cause that sounds pretty damn amazing if we could predict when luck is on our side again.

Cold, more taxes, etc is just BS. Also, can you prove in history that top free agents aren't interested in Toronto? The only time the Raps had significant cap space and pursued a top free agent, he signed with us. Sadly, Hedo turned out to be terrible, but he was a top free agent that year. We've never really had much cap space to use for free agents, so how can you say it is 100% fact?
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I'd look for short term quality role players on value contracts. Basically guys who won't contribute to wins on their own but are young enough that you can get an idea if they are suited for filling out a roster as role players when you (hopefully) have some franchise talent and can grow with them.

Al-Farouq Aminu
            Vasquez
            Jordan Hamilton
            Ed Davis

Those are the only ones that come to mind.

Guys who I'd love but think they'd be too expensive:

Chandler Parsons
            Isaiah Thomas
            Lance Stephenson
            Gordon Hayward (as a 1st option on the wing, put him next to an elite wing - hell yeah)
            Spencer Hawes
            This seems realistic moving forward. There just aren't superstar FA's out there that Toronto has any kind of realistic shot at over the next year or two. Don't pull a Colangelo and overpay to get the best available (ex. Deng would be the new Turkoglu). Get pieces on team-friendly contracts that will contribute to the big picture. Impatience is expensive.

After watching Dallas blow a championship-calibre team by gambling on landing big name FA's in the future, I'm really skeptical of banking on that approach. The competition is really, really tough for any big name FA. I think your fate is more in your hands by having nice pieces on good contracts. Then you can bundle them together and trade for a high level player, like Houston & Harden.

Also with Houston, by keeping contracts team friendly they didn't have too much trouble clearing out space to acquire Howard as a FA. It can't be overemphasized how important it is to not overpay underwhelming FA's just for the sake of making a splash, spending your cap space, and "upgrading" for short-term success.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

If he wants starting role + $10 mill/yr this is the only place..not NYK of Lakers.. they won't pay the repeater tax

Comment

The PG options at the top of my list are Dante Exum and Marcus Smart. It gets a little more fuzzy after that, but there are certainly lots of options that won't cost $12 million.

Can you also prove that "luck" works in cycles? Cause that sounds pretty damn amazing if we could predict when luck is on our side again.

Cold, more taxes, etc is just BS. Also, can you prove in history that top free agents aren't interested in Toronto? The only time the Raps had significant cap space and pursued a top free agent, he signed with us. Sadly, Hedo turned out to be terrible, but he was a top free agent that year. We've never really had much cap space to use for free agents, so how can you say it is 100% fact?
                If we land outside the Top 5 these two guys won't be available.. If we did manage to get one of these two PG..signing KL for 1 to help with transition and then trade will net us alot more pieces in in return than just a dump for 2nd nd pick

Comment

if we ever want a decent player that other CORE NBA team covets will have to overpay just like BC did for years.. They is no way they would take the same fron a Cdn team vs US team.. with the tax rate being 5-10% in favour of teh US team.. there goes the precious cap space!!!

Comment

If we land outside the Top 5 these two guys won't be available.. If we did manage to get one of these two PG..signing KL for 1 to help with transition and then trade will net us alot more pieces in in return than just a dump for 2nd nd pick
                    You can't be so sure.. scouts are starting to put a premium on Embiid, and we're finding out solid bigs are extremely hard to come by now.

Also, we still have the rest of the season to figure who's the contenders and who's the pretenders, and no names who will emerge, like LaVine.
                    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

They is no way they would take the same fron a Cdn team vs US team.. with the tax rate being 5-10% in favour of teh US team.. there goes the precious cap space!!!
                      This is a myth. The only teams that have a significant tax advantage over Toronto are those located in states with no state income tax (e.g. Florida and Texas teams).

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                        This is a myth. The only teams that have a significant tax advantage over Toronto are those located in states with no state income tax (e.g. Florida and Texas teams).
                        Check with tax accountant or someone you know works in th US who Has a six figure income.. I know this from family members.. Florida and Texas makes the comparison even worst.. We will always have overpay to attract and maintain decent American FA. BC had the right idea, he just got the wrong people who didn't,t work out..

Comment

Jalen says

Check with tax accountant or someone you know works in th US who Has a six figure income.. I know this from family members.. Florida and Texas makes the comparison even worst.. We will always have overpay to attract and maintain decent American FA. BC had the right idea, he just got the wrong people who didn't,t work out..
                          Jalen rose said in the season breakdown with bs that you make 3 percent less playing in Toronto, but significant fa signing will not take place for a couple years...

Comment

Looked this up recently. The crux isn't state vs. provincial income tax - it's federal income tax. The US actually has much higher federal tax rates for high income brackets (who'd have thought?) that more than make up for the higher provincial income tax in ON. Toronto landed middle of the pack among NBA cities re: taxes.

Top federal bracket in US is 39.6% for $400 000 +. Top federal bracket in Canada is 29% for $135 054 +.

Ontario = 13.16% over $509 000 so any state income tax higher than 2.56% and you're paying more than in Toronto.

What complicates it, apparently, is that if you earn enough to qualify you pay income taxes in the jurisdiction of your earnings - so professional athletes may actually file tax returns in a dozen cities (the worst in baseball, where they play the most road games - this was an article in the Boston Globe - news to me). But that's a wash regardless of your home team.

Jalen Rose's bit on double taxation was interesting. Apparently Canada processes income tax based on residency, but the US demands a filing based on citizenship. So Americans working in Canada file here because they live here, but the IRS also requires them to report earnings because they're Americans. Because the US federal tax rate is higher, they may have to pay a bit extra. The irony is that's not because Canadian taxes are high - that's because US taxes are high for high income earners and the US gov wants your money whether you're living in country and using services or not.

But honestly, for the most part it's going to be a couple percent here and there for guys with many millions of dollars (the ones who get to be choosey). A good accountant could undoubtedly find all kinds of breaks, loopholes, and benefits for you at that level of earnings.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. I still don't understand the double taxation, I thought you can't pay income tax twice? The tax goes to whichever country you are presently residing in.

But, maybe I just answered my own question. If the U.S. is your primary place of residency and you own property there, then you are subject to federal taxes even if you derive your income from working in Canada. Now, if you didn't own property or don't claim the US as your primary place of residency then you don't have to pay the tax twice.
                              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                                S.R. I still don't understand the double taxation, I thought you can't pay income tax twice? The tax goes to whichever country you are presently residing in.

But, maybe I just answered my own question. If the U.S. is your primary place of residency and you own property there, then you are subject to federal taxes even if you derive your income from working in Canada. Now, if you didn't own property or don't claim the US as your primary place of residency then you don't have to pay the tax twice.
                                You would avoid double taxation if the two countries have a sufficient tax treaty. So for example, if you are a Canadian that lives in the USA and has income there, then you would file a Federal and State tax return. But then as a Canadian resident, you would also file a Canadian return which would include your world income, which is subject to tax at the Canadian rates, but also includes a reduction of tax owing on that income for the tax you paid in the USA. Generally, the net owing to Canada is nil, but at least that way, Canada can keep track of all its citizens' income.

Comment

Working...
                                X