Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    I suspect Utah would match any offer.

In general, the Raptors can't target restricted free agents this year if they want to re-sign Lowry. If you re-sign Lowry and then want to make an offer to someone like Hayward, you would have to let Patterson, Vasquez go, cut and stretch Hayes and Fields. And then you can't undo those moves when Utah matches your offer.

If Lowry leaves, then why not. There would be enough cap space to make someone an offer and see what happens.
    Technically you can indeed un-renounce free agents after trying for a RFA offer sheet, re-extending the QO. But in the time before it is matched, odds are they've signed elsewhere, so it is risky.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      I'm taking Casey at his word on continuity. Granted if Lowry ends up leaving by his choice, then I would say all bets are off. But assuming Lowry is back, there are some younger guys who are free agents - and UFA at that. Nothing earth shattering but guys who contribute in areas of current need.

Aminu (24) big back up SF.
      Aldrich (25) back up C.
      Xavier Henry (23) as a backup wing.
      Jordan Hamilton (23) backup wing.
      Kevin Seraphin (24) back up C (restricted).
      Kent Bazemore (24) back up wing.
      Ryan Kelly (23) stretch 4.
      Shelvin Mack (23) back up guard (restricted).
      E'Twuan Moore (24) back up guard.
      Toure' Murry (24) back up guard.

Nothing that is going to put the Raptors over the top but guys you might be able to get on the cheap with team options.

Definitely agree with the draft. Have to build through it. You're guaranteed 8-9 years if a player works out. For next year, Raps have 7 guys under contract (assuming AMir option picked up), 4 team options, 3 restricted free agents, and 1 UFA. Add the first round draft pick & #37, while dropping 4 team options, and there is a high probability Raps are only going to be looking to add 0-2 spots.
      aminu and aldrich would be great pickups if you could get them cheap. they're not world changers but both do certain things very well. having a guy like Aminu to guard the big small forwards in the east would be invaluable.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
        aminu and aldrich would be great pickups if you could get them cheap. they're not world changers but both do certain things very well. having a guy like Aminu to guard the big small forwards in the east would be invaluable.
        Bold is key

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Technically you can indeed un-renounce free agents after trying for a RFA offer sheet, re-extending the QO. But in the time before it is matched, odds are they've signed elsewhere, so it is risky.
          It's impossible in reality. The Raptors don't have enough cap space to make a remotely feasible offer to someone like Hayward or one of the other top restricted free agents without either cutting and stretching players or letting Lowry go.

Comment

• I'm happy with Vasques as the back up PG, but Reggie Jackson next to Lowry in those small ball line up's would be interesting.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              I'm happy with Vasques as the back up PG, but Reggie Jackson next to Lowry in those small ball line up's would be interesting.
              Jackson won't be a FA until 2015 - assuming no extension.

Comment

• If Lowry walks, you try and negotiate a sign and trade to get some draft picks back, and you let Vasquez and Patterson walk as well. No need to make a panic signing unless it's a legitimate star (the only guy I'd even consider is Bledsoe, and for the max... idk).

Just bottom out next year and tank. Inb4 somebody mentions, "Then why didn't we just do that this year?"

Comment

• Thabo Sefolosha won't be back with the Thunder next year I'm pretty sure. I think he would be a really good pickup, starting alongside DD with TRoss as the backup wing. What I would do also is draft Tyler Ennis with the 20th pick and draft a center with the 37th pick.

Valanciunas/Hansbrough/Rookie
                  Johnson/Patterson/Hayes
                  Sefolosha/Fields/Novak
                  DeRozan/Ross/De Colo
                  Lowry/Vasquez/Ennis

Comment

It's impossible in reality. The Raptors don't have enough cap space to make a remotely feasible offer to someone like Hayward or one of the other top restricted free agents without either cutting and stretching players or letting Lowry go.
                    Lets go over the cap for a year was my thinking.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                      Lets go over the cap for a year was my thinking.
                      They can't just go over the cap. They need cap space to make an offer to a restricted free agent (or it has to be a sign and trade).

Where do you get that cap space? Well, there are several options: let Lowry go; or cut and stretch Fields/Hayes (but then the Raptors would have them on their payroll for 3 years); or move some pieces for cap space and probably lose some picks in the process.

None of these options are attractive when Utah would just very likely match the offer.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                        If Lowry walks, you try and negotiate a sign and trade to get some draft picks back, and you let Vasquez and Patterson walk as well. No need to make a panic signing unless it's a legitimate star (the only guy I'd even consider is Bledsoe, and for the max... idk).

Just bottom out next year and tank. Inb4 somebody mentions, "Then why didn't we just do that this year?"
                        actually in the unlikely event lowry doesn't re-sign then Eric Bledsoe would skyrocket to the top of the list as a must sign throw everything we have including the kitchen sink at him just to keep the momentum from last season going and not have to go back into tank mode...but if Lowry signs then we are flexible... Greg Monroe/Chandler Parsons would be good...any upgrade to SF/PF would help but we would not be vital.

Comment

They'd have about 9M in cap room if they renounced Patterson, de Colo and Vasquez, without cutting Hayes or Fields, assuming Salmons, Hansbrough, Buycks and Stone are let go. That's not huge, but it's not insignificant either.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            They'd have about 9M in cap room if they renounced Patterson, de Colo and Vasquez, without cutting Hayes or Fields, assuming Salmons, Hansbrough, Buycks and Stone are let go. That's not huge, but it's not insignificant either.
                            I think it's too little. If the Raptors want Hayward, I think they would have to be thinking far into 8 figures.

Besides, the 9 mil number sounds a bit optimistic, you assume that Lowry would either wait for a contract till almost mid-July (until Utah matches Hayward) or sign for around his cap hold.

Comment

• If Lowry leaves, I agree with the notion of going for Bledsoe. Like in Phoenix, he gets to play along another terrific guard in Derozan, and essentially will take the reins of the Raptors offense.

If that is indeed the case, hopefully he agrees to take a pay cut (not realistic, but worth a shot) so that the Raptors can go for Greg Monroe on a similar contract, and perhaps go for Parsons if the Rockets pursue Carmelo Anthony in the offseason. The Raptors can definitely be the third team in such a trade.

Bledsoe, Derozan, Parsons, Monroe, Valancuinas

(Payton? Ennis?), Ross, Fields(or other backup SF), Amir, (Jordan Hill?)

#20 pick as a reserve, or replaces Fields and a veteran perhaps? (Carter?)

This core alone is a playoff team. It possesses size, depth, athleticism, and chemistry(from all accounts, Parsons, Bledsoe, and Monroe are good in the locker room). Bledsoe and Demar are both stars, while players like Parsons, Monroe, Amir, and Fields are quality Role players. JV, Ross, and the #20 pick represent the Raptors' bright future.

The Raptors have plenty of assets currently, and although we do have the option of signing them back, we also have the option of using them to bring in other players as well.

Vasquez, Patterson, De Colo, Amir and Fields are all assets for us. It would be difficult to use Fields as a single trade piece, but Masaii could possibly work his magic and convince another team to take on his contract.

Getting the trio of Bledsoe, Parsons, and Monroe would be difficult, but it wouldn't be too unrealistic, given all of the assets the Raptors have and the current situations these players are in.

Edit: I almost forgot, but I wanted to discuss bringing in cheaper options if anyone were to understandably disagree with what I wrote above.

We can bring in Stefelosha and bring him off the bench instead of Fields/Salmons. Even if Thabo started over Ross, he would probably play around 20-25 mpg, and Ross could easily take up the rest of them. Personally though, I would keep Ross in the starting lineup. A guy like Aminu also fits this bill.

Cole Aldrich, Jordan Hill, Chris Kamen all come to my mind as potential back up Centers. Chris Kamen might not be the right fit, but he could provide offense and leadership off the bench at the 5 spot.

Masaii could also target a team like the Bucks and could go for a player like Henson, Ekpe Udoh, or Morislav Radujlica (all PF/C's), since the Bucks do have a logjam for minutes in the front court.
                              Last edited by YoungGunRaptor; Tue Jun 3, 2014, 03:33 PM.
                              I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                              -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

I think it's too little. If the Raptors want Hayward, I think they would have to be thinking far into 8 figures.

Besides, the 9 mil number sounds a bit optimistic, you assume that Lowry would either wait for a contract till almost mid-July (until Utah matches Hayward) or sign for around his cap hold.
                                Lowry signing for his cap hold is hardly impossible. On a 5 year deal that's 10.7M per year. On a 4 year deal it is 10.4M. So projections are between 10-12M, meaning his cap hold is a pretty good ballpark for his starting salary.

Not that I'm personally interested in using cap space this year. But I don't think the Raptors are forced not to. Nor do I think being able to offer a 4 year, 38.4M contract is anything to sneeze at.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X