Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Colangelo Shares His Two Cents on the Gay Trade

Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    On another note entirely, the author of this article looks like a female version of Howard Stern:

I was thinking more like the lead singer of REO Speedwagon

2. Like bounty, Fully, consmap, Nilanka, ceez, S.R., Axel, stretch liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Adding Rudy to the current Kings roster while extracting Vasquez, their only pass first player, leads me to wonder if the Kings' GM was fleeced by Ujiri.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Adding Rudy to the current Kings roster while extracting Vasquez, their only pass first player, leads me to wonder if the Kings' GM was fleeced by Ujiri.
    If you just concluded a phone call with Masai Ujiri and at any point agreed to something...you just got fleeced

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    Bryan Colangelo's basketball opinion has lost all credibility. The roster that started this season took him 7 years to build (!!!!). That's right, 7 years to put together a capped out roster that wins 1 out of 3 games in a historically awful conference.
    I think we've all forgotten how BC was able to trade Araujo, Hedo, Kapono, players who are far more inferior compared to Bargnani and Gay but with pretty much the same disguting contracts. What im trying to say is we all got excited when BC came in and did all these, and now we are all getting excited again with what Masai has done. But what really should matter is what Masai will be doing to improve this team. Sure he got rid of the contracts, but so did BC. What is crucial now is how he's going to be able to separate himself from BC through the players that are coming in.

6. Like Jclaw liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    i truly believe that these GMs have an unwritten code amongst themselves. "You do me this favor now and ill do you a favor down the road" type thing. Masai did this when he gave NY Melo, and now he collected by getting NYK to take Bargnani. Might be the same thing with D'Alessandro

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    I think we've all forgotten how BC was able to trade Araujo, Hedo, Kapono, players who are far more inferior compared to Bargnani and Gay but with pretty much the same disguting contracts. What im trying to say is we all got excited when BC came in and did all these, and now we are all getting excited again with what Masai has done. But what really should matter is what Masai will be doing to improve this team. Sure he got rid of the contracts, but so did BC. What is crucial now is how he's going to be able to separate himself from BC through the players that are coming in.
    BC was the one who signed Kapono and Hedo. Araujo was on his rookie deal.

Post Thanks / Like

i truly believe that these GMs have an unwritten code amongst themselves. "You do me this favor now and ill do you a favor down the road" type thing. Masai did this when he gave NY Melo, and now he collected by getting NYK to take Bargnani. Might be the same thing with D'Alessandro
    I haven't forgotten. BC impressed with his ability to "undo" his mistakes. Crazy thing was he spent essentially his entire time here undoing mistakes - virtually all his biggest transactions turned into mistakes that needed undoing. Hence the complete lack of progress over his tenure.

He also spent far too freely. By no means did I dislike all his moves and I'm definitely exaggerating a bit now (isn't that what the internet's for?), but one very regular criticism was that almost every contract he handed out was overpriced. Add that up over a few seasons and you have a low-ceiling, capped out treadmill roster. Next to a completely dysfunctional franchise (ex. Bobcats), it's about as bad a situation as an NBA team can be in.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted already, but just caught this elsewhere.

Source - Click here
    Nice find. After reading the trade grades on the internet, this smacks of pro-Kings supporters trying to find somebody, er.... ANYBODY, who actually liked the trade for SacTown. And Bryan: Let it go, dude. Let it go.

Post Thanks / Like

there was a backhanded comment in their to the effect of increasing talent rather than diminishing talent...

And nobody said Rudy Gay wasn't talented...he is most certainly not 19.3 million dollar cap killing talent.

Raptors Republic Rookie CrossedTheLine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bryan Colangelo's basketball opinion has lost all credibility. The roster that started this season took him 7 years to build (!!!!). That's right, 7 years to put together a capped out roster that wins 1 out of 3 games in a historically awful conference.

Historically awful? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CrossedTheLine wrote: View Post
    Historically awful? LOL
    Boston is the fourth seed with a sub 500 record...this has to be a historically awful season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CrossedTheLine wrote: View Post
    Historically awful? LOL
    Howard Beck:

"NBA East on Track to Be History's Worst Conference Ever" (Dec. 3rd) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...onference-ever

As of right now the East is 32-70 against the West. Miami and Indiana are a combined 10-2 against the West. That means the remaining 13 Eastern teams are 22-68 against the West. Looking for adjectives to describe the awfulness? "Historically bad" about sums it up.
    Last edited by S.R.; Tue Dec 10th, 2013 at 12:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Howard Beck:

"NBA East on Track to Be History's Worst Conference Ever" (Dec. 3rd) http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...onference-ever

As of right now the East is 32-70 against the West. Miami and Indiana are a combined 10-2 against the West. That means the remaining 13 Eastern teams are 22-68 against the West. Looking for adjectives to describe the awfulness? "Historically bad" about sums it up.
    Could not agree more.

But I also always thought it was a little strange to subtract the top two teams records. Obviously the point is the show that the eastern conference has an a league (of 2 teams) and a b league.

But I think, it's more fair to also subtract the top two teams in the West from that record. Its more like 22-54. But that's still bad.

16. Like S.R. liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

wait, so the guy who acquired lowry - a good PG, on a good deal, but also someone almost universally regarded as mercurial (to put it kindly) - is talking about chemistry & 'character?'

dear bryan: sit the fuck down. when someone's interested in your opinion re. basketball, it will come in the form of a job offer. until then, STFU about things you clearly know little about, m'kay?
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

18. Like Fully liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    wait, so the guy who acquired lowry - a good PG, on a good deal, but also someone almost universally regarded as mercurial (to put it kindly) - is talking about chemistry & 'character?'

dear bryan: sit the fuck down. when someone's interested in your opinion re. basketball, it will come in the form of a job offer. until then, STFU about things you clearly know little about, m'kay?
    well, considering he was interviewed, it seems like someone was interested. :P

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't forgotten. BC impressed with his ability to "undo" his mistakes. Crazy thing was he spent essentially his entire time here undoing mistakes - virtually all his biggest transactions turned into mistakes that needed undoing. Hence the complete lack of progress over his tenure.

He also spent far too freely. By no means did I dislike all his moves and I'm definitely exaggerating a bit now (isn't that what the internet's for?), but one very regular criticism was that almost every contract he handed out was overpriced. Add that up over a few seasons and you have a low-ceiling, capped out treadmill roster. Next to a completely dysfunctional franchise (ex. Bobcats), it's about as bad a situation as an NBA team can be in.
    Colangelo was the first really good GM to come to toronto and try his ass off to make it work. He went the route of trying to win, so really, if any of you bashing him are the same guys on the "anti-tank" team, then kindly STFU

For the rest, the wasn't great, but he tried to win, made some gambles, won a few lost a few. A very good portion of Fan based criticism of colangelo is pretty weak at best, most of the shit I read is nonsense really.

Anyhow, water under the bridge, I wish the fellow well.

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    Colangelo did not address why the Raps would trade Gay, only why Sac would want him. Last year's team, with Gay, Derozan, and Bargnani, was too many volume shooters with only one basketball. Colangelo wasn't asked to address this issue, so I don't really know what he thinks about it.

For what it's worth, most advanced stats say Gay is an average player. I'm not clear on what Colangelo's definition of "abundantly talented" is in this context. Is that compared to Michael Jordan, or is that compared to the average person not in the NBA?
    Armchair hindsighters.... NOBODY on earth was calling Rudy Gay Average last year. You guys gotta calm the fuck down and stop turning everything into some sort of major drama. Dude didn't work out here, big whoop.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    Armchair hindsighters.... NOBODY on earth was calling Rudy Gay Average last year. You guys gotta calm the fuck down and stop turning everything into some sort of major drama. Dude didn't work out here, big whoop.
    Nobody maybe used the word average, but there were more than a few people who were adamantly against the trade for exactly the reasons he ended up getting shipped out:

-Too costly
    -Isn't better offensively than DeMar
    -Doesn't do enough other things well enough to warrant paying him double what DeMar makes
    -Redundancy makes it hard to see chemistry working out
    -Lazy character at times, coasts and is inconsistent
    -Coasting means some games he never shows up on D
    -A chucker who's average (at best) at involving teammates
    -Screws team flexibility for basically no good reason...nothing that pushes the team higher

etc..etc....

-The only thing I liked about Gay pre-trade was the size/athleticism he brings to SF.
    -And in the honeymoon period his effort was more consistent on D, and he seemed to be having a good impact as a leader. Both those things completely disappeared this season.

Raptors Republic Superstar iblastoff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

um i think you're forgetting that it was basically all colangelo that signed those players in the first place.

24. Like white men can't jump liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    bosh?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information