Colangelo Shares His Two Cents on the Gay Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craig wrote: View Post
    Armchair hindsighters.... NOBODY on earth was calling Rudy Gay Average last year. You guys gotta calm the fuck down and stop turning everything into some sort of major drama. Dude didn't work out here, big whoop.
    Right but the armchair hindsighter comment is erroneous in the context of Colangelo's quote.

The point is that, back then, many people agreed with Colangelo that Rudy was talented and worth trading for (myself included). But we have had ample time now to see that that IS NOT THE CASE.

The fact that BC still won't recognize that Gay is an inefficient volume shooter destined to ruin your teams chances of success, is entirely consistent with his attitude towards Bargnani for 5 years, and entirely reaffirming of why I'm glad he is no longer our GM.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
      I'd really, really like to know what criteria Colangelo is using to judge Gay's talent. I think that would be a fascinating discussion, if he'd consent to it. He seems to gravitate towards these volume shooters, and I'd like to know why.
      To BC, and the Knicks, and the Pelicans etc, talent = PPG.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
        That's a bit overcooked. Jesus Christ he's not that bad. He's about average. The shitty thing is his contract. Not a terrible guy to have around though, under the right circumstances.
        I think a key point is that the current circumstances and the circumstances he was acquired under (which I did support at the time), did speak to him being extremely overpaid. A good GM should have done a better job of factoring those circumstances into his overall evaluation of the player and the plan to acquire him, which BC (granted, in hindsight) seems to have ignored. If Gay was on a $10M contract, then I doubt Memphis unloads him so readily and I doubt he would have been such a negative force on the Raptors this season. Your point was right about it all depending on circumstances; BC just did a pathetic job of factoring them in and a good GM should be expected to do just that.

Comment

Man, Colangelo have some serious man crush on Rudy Gay
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Brandon wrote:
            That's a bit overcooked. Jesus Christ he's not that bad. He's about average. The shitty thing is his contract. Not a terrible guy to have around though, under the right circumstances.
            He actually is pretty much that bad. If he makes 38% of his 19 shots, the rest of the team would have to make around 48% to get the team average around 46% overall, which would be top 10 league wide. So essentially, bc of Rudy, the rest of the team has to run the equivalent of a top-3 offense if the team has any shot at being above average overall. Not likely, and so it does pretty much ruin your team's chance of success.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
              oh please. 'NOBODY?' f'real? or do you just remember what you want to remember? speaking of armchair hindsighters...
              It was certainly the minority, apologies for being a little absolute.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                You're talking about 18 games. Check the stats for his 7 previous seasons for a more accurate look at his shooting.
                I know I'm talking about 18 games. That's why I used his stats from the past 18 games. He isn't about average, he is way below that. He used to be about average, or slightly above even, but that was years ago, which doesn't have much impact on what his shooting does to the team's chances of success now.

Comment

Westvleteren wrote: View Post
                  I don't post much, but I have no problem admitting I was excited about Rudy. Of course, I assumed that meant one or both of our other volume shooters were on the way out and there was some grand plan to remake the team. BC lost a lot of fans with his continued devotion to Bargs and his willingness to trade away 1st rounders, never believing that his team would be bad enough to get a high pick. He made some bad, desperate gambles, but I give him full points on Garbajosa and Amir and few of his other moves. Rather than flip flop, it was more like a gradual loss of faith.

The "Messiah" Ujiri attitude is based on what he did in Denver (i.e. too many good deals to be just luck) and the fact that Bargs and Rudy looked impossible to move without taking on long-term contracts.
                  What? My point of fliip-flopping did not have anything to do with Colangelo. I don't even want to talk about that guy, what he attempted to do didn't work out. He's gone, there's no relevance to discussing him.

I was talking about how people flip-flop on Ujiri and to a lesser extent, Casey.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

So BC is an idiot who admits he would have stuck with gay despite the evidence that the team sucks and their win totals are inflated in April, because he has talent he doesn't want or know how to use 8 years in the league ?

THANK YOU TL, I'll never express enough gratitude for getting rid of him. The weeks they waited to make a decision were the longest ever, because I swore I'd give up on the raptors if they brought him back until he'd be gone.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                      Well maybe its not predestined. But it's certainly proved to be the case so far (Memphis made their two best runs without him; not much success with him). And I wouldn't say inefficient volume shooter is overcooked. That's about as accurate a description you can give to Gay.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                        He's not wrong.
                        Is Rudy Gay a talent? Yes.
                        Is SAC's GM trying to increase the talent on their roster? Yes.

The only thing I can hate about his comments is that snark little remark when he said 'rather than depleting it' which was a subtle means of criticizing the direction of the Raptors in slowly tearing down and removing every stupid move he did.
                        colangelo does not realize that talent and character dont mean wins you need something called chemistry
                        ya dun noe

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                          Thanks for making that clear. Sample size is much too small to invest the kind of belief in it that you are doing here.
                          I'm not projecting anything with the 18 game sample, so there is no sample size issue. 19 shots at 38% is a huge hole to put your team in, and severely limits any chance at success. I only replied bc you said that he isn't that bad, and he is about average, which he clearly is not.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                            I was talking about how people flip-flop on Ujiri and to a lesser extent, Casey.
                            Point taken. I was at work and skimmed through your post quickly and appeared to be adding to Craig's post, which was all about BC. No harm intended. Still, I haven't noticed that many people on here saying negative things about Ujiri.

Comment

Westvleteren wrote: View Post
                              Point taken. I was at work and skimmed through your post quickly and appeared to be adding to Craig's post, which was all about BC. No harm intended. Still, I haven't noticed that many people on here saying negative things about Ujiri.
                              I've seen quite a bit of it. It comes and goes...which is my point. lol
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                                Even though Craig is a bit of an intolerance at times. I agree with these posts.
                                And what the fuck does this mean?

You'd do better to agree with more of my posts mon ami, I know what I'm talking about yo!

Comment

Working...
                                X