Quote Raptorfanatic wrote: View Post
I have been a die hard Raptor's fan since the beginning.
I follow Raptors Republic daily and enjoy much of the discussion.
However all this tank talk is starting to wear on me..... to the point ...that Raptor's management intends to weaken the team to afford a chance for a top lottery pick.

My family and I make a trip to Toronto as often as humanly possible often paying in excess of a $1000. on tickets for the best seats that are available. However, honestly I do not intend to spend this money this year with the idea that Toronto is in it to lose !
I am afraid my interest in the team is rapidly declining. I have stopped watching games on TV for the first time that I can recall.

The sad part is I am probably not the only one that feels this way.
I haven't read the replies here yet, so sorry if I am reddundant (see that I did there?)in my reply. Let me explain it as simply as I can Mr. Fanatic.

If you're around professional sports long enough, and you start, as you grow in your own life as a man or woman, into a professional yourself, to see the clear patterns in ways professional sports teams operate in order to stay viable over the long haul. The long haul for them being 10-20-30-40 years. Professional franchises are built cyclically as the main product is produced by employees that have turbulent reliabilities. They age, they lose (rather than gain as in most other business categories) their acute skills, and they at times simply want to move on.

The good owners are best at recognizing the precise moment that its time to stop chasing the prize for a few years, so they can break it all down, and re-start the growth cycle. Fans get a bit angry, but then start to really follow the developing youth, creating a bond that fans create with their heros. It works, has worked for years, and will always work. Where there is an issue, is when you have a team that doesn't want to commit 100% to that process. Toronto is a prime example. If you don't break it all the way down, you don't take advantage of the policies in place to help weak teams get better. Its pretty widely accepted that even if you land a high pick, that pick won't work out, but thats the way it goes. The issue for teams that don't compete, is that they don't put themselves in a position to hit the jackpot nearly enough.

Toronto has people in place that seen willing to do it the proper way. A new ownership, new President who has some serious rep following here to Toronto, a new GM that seems to be pretty serious about doing things the long, hard way. This all points towards a proper rebuild. So maybe, Fans in Toronto might get a bit pissy, they have a right to, but that will be a short lived dip once you see the fruits of the new managements efforts. Should this management succeed, and turn this franchise into a competitive one, you will see the same process play out over the next 20-30 years as you watch the game.

Hang in there Mr. Fanantic, it will get better.