Extend Lowry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    No. They removed that in the most recent CBA. Now a S+T deal is exactly the same as signing in free agency. Small raises, 4 years max.
    Not to mention, now teams can't do a sign-and-trade if they are over the Cap I believe, or if they've already used their Mid-Level Exception.
    Definitely locking down on the Sign-and-Trade.

Comment

• Sign and Trade would only work if Lowry wants to go to a specific team and that team doesn't have enough cap space to sign him outright.. but yeah, otherwise most teams could just free up enough space and sign him outright without giving the Raptors anything in return.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        Not to mention, now teams can't do a sign-and-trade if they are over the Cap I believe, or if they've already used their Mid-Level Exception.
        Definitely locking down on the Sign-and-Trade.
        You can't go above the apron ($4M above luxury tax) after a S+T. The team that has used their tax payer mid level (a bit different from the regular mid level) also cannot receive a S+T.

Comment

• Does anyone think there is a gentleman's agreement in place to sign KL in offseason?

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
            Does anyone think there is a gentleman's agreement in place to sign KL in offseason?
            If the league ever caught wind of something like that, then the Raptors would be looking at the Joe Smith/Minnesota scenario. I hope that never happens:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Smith_%28basketball%29

Following the 1999–2000 season, it was discovered that Smith was involved in a salary cap–tampering scandal involving Timberwolves executive Kevin McHale. Smith was allegedly promised a future multi-million dollar deal if he signed with the team for below market value, allowing the team to make some additional player moves in the short term. The league later found out about this violation and voided the last year of the contract, also severely punishing the Timberwolves by taking away five first-round draft picks (though two of the picks were ultimately returned) and fining the team $3.5 million.[3] The move hurt the Timberwolves in the long run, as while the team still found success, the lack of draft picks set the team up for their eventual failure in the mid-2000s.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              If the league ever caught wind of something like that, then the Raptors would be looking at the Joe Smith/Minnesota scenario. I hope that never happens:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Smith_%28basketball%29
              That's completely different than agreeing in principle to sign a new contract in the offseason.
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                That's completely different than agreeing in principle to sign a new contract in the offseason.
                Sorry my bad.. yeah its possible that MU/Kyle and his agent are already talking and have some kind of agreement in place. Usually that would be leaked out already though.. why keep that a secret?

Comment

• 5 year 60 million

Comment

• Unless you want 2-3 years more of lottery level basketball, then its the top priority. Of course if I'm Kyle and I watch Demar continue his Rudy Gay impersonation, I'm out.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Sorry my bad.. yeah its possible that MU/Kyle and his agent are already talking and have some kind of agreement in place. Usually that would be leaked out already though.. why keep that a secret?
                      MU has been great at plugging the leaks. I believe there is some non-formal understanding in place. Certainly things can change but KL strikes me as the kind of person that will keep his word but if he felt he was being played would bolt.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                        MU has been great at plugging the leaks. I believe there is some non-formal understanding in place. Certainly things can change but KL strikes me as the kind of person that will keep his word but if he felt he was being played would bolt.
                        When a player says, "I leave all that stuff up to my agent" it is not just a cliche. Usually, it's to shield the player from most of the fallout if the salary demands/negotiations turn serious, lest the player look 'greedy'.

"My agent handles that stuff, I just go with the flow and play basketball"... This is all Kyle has ever said when asked about the topic of his contract; I've got little doubt there is NO deal in place at the moment, and that negotiations will get hot if this goes to the summer. He hasn't even ever suggested that "I'd really like to end my career in Toronto if things work out". The media is talking him up as the top PG in the East this year -- the entire Eastern conference -- do you really think he's got some soft spot in his heart, or so much love for his teammates, that he (along with his agent) would turn down 5 years and $60M somewhere else to take 3 years/$30M to stay in Toronto (for instance)??
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                          When a player says, "I leave all that stuff up to my agent" it is not just a cliche. Usually, it's to shield the player from most of the fallout if the salary demands/negotiations turn serious, lest the player look 'greedy'.

"My agent handles that stuff, I just go with the flow and play basketball"... This is all Kyle has ever said when asked about the topic of his contract; I've got little doubt there is NO deal in place at the moment, and that negotiations will get hot if this goes to the summer. He hasn't even ever suggested that "I'd really like to end my career in Toronto if things work out". The media is talking him up as the top PG in the East this year -- the entire Eastern conference -- do you really think he's got some soft spot in his heart, or so much love for his teammates, that he (along with his agent) would turn down 5 years and $60M somewhere else to take 3 years/$30M to stay in Toronto (for instance)??
                          Quick note on your "for instance." No way Ujiri offers a 3 year deal in free agency - that would be a slap in the face. It would be 4 or 5 years. Second, no team except the Raptors can offer 5 years. 4 years is the max. So it would be more like 4/48 versus 4/40 or 5/50 in your scenario. And players have turned down more.

That said, I don't like the risk of going to free agency, so I'd rather he be traded. Then again, I'm also an avowed pro-tanker, so what do I know.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                            Quick note on your "for instance." No way Ujiri offers a 3 year deal in free agency - that would be a slap in the face. It would be 4 or 5 years. Second, no team except the Raptors can offer 5 years. 4 years is the max. So it would be more like 4/48 versus 4/40 or 5/50 in your scenario. And players have turned down more.

That said, I don't like the risk of going to free agency, so I'd rather he be traded. Then again, I'm also an avowed pro-tanker, so what do I know.
                            I feel confident Lowry will be signed and traded (confident or unfounded arrogance or blind optimism - one of the 3).

The Lakers, with a rumoured past interest, just makes too much sense in my opinion.

Lakers are going to have a dead weight contract in Nash and a desired asset for the Raptors in their 2014 pick. I think the Lakers would like to enter free agency with Kobe, Lowry, and $30M in cap space versus Kobe, Nash, a likely 10-12 lotto pick, and $30M in cap space. Nash is done.

I would like to see the Raptors keep Lowry for remainder of season and trade DeRozan. If DeRozan could drop his 21 points on 15 shots while still getting those 5-6 rebounds and 4-5 assists, that would change everything, but I just don't see that happening, unfortunately. His last game (in which he was exceptional scoring) was by far the exception and nowhere near the norm.

Sorry, off track.

Keep Lowry and sign and trade Lowry this off season to LA. Most PGs have there best seasons under D'Antoni, total PG coach dream.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I feel confident Lowry will be signed and traded (confident or unfounded arrogance or blind optimism - one of the 3).

The Lakers, with a rumoured past interest, just makes too much sense in my opinion.

Lakers are going to have a dead weight contract in Nash and a desired asset for the Raptors in their 2014 pick. I think the Lakers would like to enter free agency with Kobe, Lowry, and $30M in cap space versus Kobe, Nash, a likely 10-12 lotto pick, and $30M in cap space. Nash is done.

I would like to see the Raptors keep Lowry for remainder of season and trade DeRozan. If DeRozan could drop his 21 points on 15 shots while still getting those 5-6 rebounds and 4-5 assists, that would change everything, but I just don't see that happening, unfortunately. His last game (in which he was exceptional scoring) was by far the exception and nowhere near the norm.

Sorry, off track.

Keep Lowry and sign and trade Lowry this off season to LA. Most PGs have there best seasons under D'Antoni, total PG coach dream.
                              Lowry to LA makes sense since they need a PG.. but I just don't see Lowry excelling in a D'Antoni type of program. D'Antoni is all about the P'n'r and that's not Lowry's specialty.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Sorry, off track.

I think if Ujiri can contact the Lakers and gauge their interest, and talk to Lowry and gauge his, and decide it is very likely to happen, so be it. If either of those parties don't express interest now, I don't think it's worth the risk.

Like the result you describe, not the risk.

Although sign me up for the DD trade!
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X