Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suns looking to trade picks in 2014 draft

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/1...in-2014-draft/

Suns could have as many as 4 first round picks next year. Which is crazy.

I wonder if Amir Johnson would interest them?? based from the Suns game that i watched. What they need is a big man that can protect the rim and score easy 2. Amir can do that plus he can run.

Suns strength is their backourt of Dragic and Bledsoe so i'm pretty sure they dont need another PG(Lowry), DeRozan? can't see it either.

Thoughts?
    Mamba Mentality

“I think one of the things that’s important for people to realize is that we may not draft four players even if we have four picks,” McDonough told NBA.com. “Our preference would probably be to maybe package a few of them. We’re obviously all looking for stars and we feel like we can put together a package as good, if not better, than any other team in the league if and when a star becomes available. That’s kind of generally what we’ve wanted to do, not only with our draft-pick situation but also with the cap space that we’ve acquired.”
    I don't think Amir or DeRozan qualify as a star.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
      http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/1...in-2014-draft/

Suns could have as many as 4 first round picks next year. Which is crazy.

I wonder if Amir Johnson would interest them??...
      "... they are open to trading one or more picks in the loaded 2014 draft if they can get an established star capable of making an impact now..."

That doesn't sound like Amir. Any pick would be 13th or worse.

Comment

No. You're right. Amir is not a star. But i'm pretty sure they could use a player like Amir Johnson.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

I would think Amir is worth a first round pick ---- at least. If the "market" don't think so, I'd look to keep the guy.
          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I don't think Amir or DeRozan qualify as a star.
            That is not the question. The question is are they close enough to make a convincing enough argument to the Suns front office?
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
              That is not the question. The question is are they close enough to make a convincing enough argument to the Suns front office?
              No.
              Perhaps if there were no better offers, but there will be.

They just don't need DeRozan enough (at all?).

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                "... they are open to trading one or more picks in the loaded 2014 draft if they can get an established star capable of making an impact now..."

That doesn't sound like Amir. Any pick would be 13th or worse.
                I can't currently find a link, but an article I read today said that Phoenix is looking for a player that matches the age of tier core players...want someone mid-twenties at the oldest.

I'm not saying that DeRozan and Amir are what they would be looking for, but I can't think of any player who would match the age they are looking for, is a established star, and is available. Anyone?

I don't think Phoenix is looking to trade simply because of their hot start. I think the more it looks like thy could have all 4 picks in 2014, the less they want four picks. Do they even have room to add 4 players from the draft?

I could see them trading one or two for the best package of young talent that is available, and DeRozan and Amir is a pretty good package that could add some wins.
                http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
                  I can't currently find a link, but an article I read today said that Phoenix is looking for a player that matches the age of tier core players...want someone mid-twenties at the oldest.

I'm not saying that DeRozan and Amir are what they would be looking for, but I can't think of any player who would match the age they are looking for, is a established star, and is available. Anyone?

I don't think Phoenix is looking to trade simply because of their hot start. I think the more it looks like thy could have all 4 picks in 2014, the less they want four picks. Do they even have room to add 4 players from the draft?

I could see them trading one or two for the best package of young talent that is available, and DeRozan and Amir is a pretty good package that could add some wins.
                  At what point does Minnesota throw in the towel? It looks like they are going another year without a playoff berth. Khan's 2009 Eff ups are really biting that franchise.

So my two guesses would be Kevin Love and Monroe in Detroit.

Comment

Amir should be an attractive trade piece when Ujiri has a contender type team on the phone. A team that thinks it has the main pieces and wants a few more to polish the whole thing. Like the Clippers last summer with Redick and Dudley, or the Pacers with Scola.

The Suns clearly see themselves as standing at a similar spot as the Rockets a year ago. They have some nice pieces and maybe even a rising star in Bledsoe, they sold off older complimentary pieces (Scola, Gortat, Dudley) for picks and now they want that other foundational piece.

Clearly that's not Amir. Amir falls into that group of complimentary pieces that they just converted to picks. Probably not DeMar either. DeMar had his share of fluky well-shooting stretches, so teams are probably very cautious about overpaying for him right now.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                      Not to split hairs.... well, yes, to split hairs .... but the article said they were looking for a star if and when one becomes available. I'm not sure what the definition of star is exactly but I don't think of Amir as one.

I would think DeRozan would be a better fit for the 'star' criteria but the Dragic/Bledsoe pairing is a pretty fantastic one.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                        Amir should be an attractive trade piece when Ujiri has a contender type team on the phone. A team that thinks it has the main pieces and wants a few more to polish the whole thing. Like the Clippers last summer with Redick and Dudley, or the Pacers with Scola.

The Suns clearly see themselves as standing at a similar spot as the Rockets a year ago. They have some nice pieces and maybe even a rising star in Bledsoe, they sold off older complimentary pieces (Scola, Gortat, Dudley) for picks and now they want that other foundational piece.

Clearly that's not Amir. Amir falls into that group of complimentary pieces that they just converted to picks. Probably not DeMar either. DeMar had his share of fluky well-shooting stretches, so teams are probably very cautious about overpaying for him right now.
                        Amir for Perkins.

Not sure OKC would throw in their 2 2014 picks. Both are going to be 20+ assuming the Mavs pick is conveyed.

OKC might actually consider since they have Jackson, Lamb, and Adams as young players on rookie deals for anther 1, 2, and 3 years.

Amir saves them $2M this year and $2.4M next year.

Perkins is awful and Amir is really productive without needing plays.

Trading picks goes 100% against what OKC has traditionally done. Maybe the need to actually win will change that.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          At what point does Minnesota throw in the towel? It looks like they are going another year without a playoff berth. Khan's 2009 Eff ups are really biting that franchise.

So my two guesses would be Kevin Love and Monroe in Detroit.
                          Phoenix makes it's living off an up-tempo style. Would trading for Monroe, just to have the rights to pay him massive amounts of money, make sense for them as an organization? I can't see that as a match.

As for Love...he would be a fantastic target. I just don't think Minnesota sells the farm. If anything, they try to add to the roster this year, and end the experiment next year. Could still get a great package for a year and a half of Love!
                          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Be creative, if the Knicks-Lowry deal goes through, we may get these picks for Shumpert and Hardaway Jr. where both players fit into Sun's bill and Suns will intrigued with those two prospects.

Comment

I brought this up in another thread. Very much a tank trade.

PHX gets: Pau Gasol
                              LAL gets: Amir and Lowry
                              TOR gets: Okafor and multiple picks (at least one 1st rounder)

I could see some more small pieces added, but this would be the core of the deal.

Toronto gets a pick for getting a guy who likely will not play this season (and you know, for giving up the best value players in the deal). I could see another 1st rounder going to LA. And maybe another 2nd rounder going to Toronto. Toronto's capspace goes up with Okafor's deal expiring. And honestly, as much as I love Amir, I'm pretty sure he is actually the biggest obstacle to tanking. He really holds things together, and without him, our D takes a step back that'll probably cost us many games.

A few articles that LA may be willing to take on salary for next year as long as it doesn't compromise their 2015 flexibility. Johnson's salary is not at all crippling even if they want to be active this summer. He would help them a lot, and I can see him fitting in very well in D'Antoni's system compared to the failures of Howard and Pau. Doesn't need the ball in the post, runs the floor well, plays the p'n'r well, and has enough of a jumper, and would help what little D gets played in D'Antoni's system. Also since it's the Lakers and his hometown, it's probably the kind of deal I'd feel least bad about trading him in.

PHX gets an established star player. Not having his best season, but D'Antoni's system just blows for big men. Admittedly since Pau is expiring, PHX may not have interest....but I think a star in Pau's tier is likely what they'd be looking to get. They'd get his bird rights too, which would make it easier to re-sign him if they want, and PHX might be a really good fit as he would give them a much needed interior presence, which would complement the Morris twins and their backcourt.

Once again...thoughts? Good? Bad? Tweaks that could make it work better?

Comment

Working...
                              X