Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What should Raptors do if Wiggins does not enter this year's draft?

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Only way to change my mind about tanking is if David Stern passes a new rule in the NBA that you have to be 22 years old before you can enter the NBA.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shrub wrote: View Post
    How much Wiggins basketball have you seen?
    The answer, of course, is not that much.
    Because he hasn't played that much.

Choosing your #1 draft pick at this point of the year is always a bad idea.
    Especially when that guy is not playing that well....
    Kyrie Irving anyone?

But I do agree. Wiggins will be a great player, but hes not like Lebron in high school or Durant in college, so the fact that we are just deciding that he's the best is probably because we haven't seen enough of him or anyone else during the year.

So...does wiggins declaring or not make a difference? no! still plenty of great players in the draft. More importantly, our team is still below average

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    But I do agree. Wiggins will be a great player, but hes not like Lebron in high school or Durant in college, so the fact that we are just deciding that he's the best is probably because we haven't seen enough of him or anyone else during the year.
    I don't mind tanking, if Masai does it right. However, we don't have any idea who Wiggins is going to be, so calling/projecting him to be a great player is premature. For example, Here’s an excerpt from an ESPN Insider article about the upcoming NBA Draft. They’re comparing the college players to current or past NBA players. The player they compare Andrew Wiggins to is RUDY GAY. What? Way to ruin a guy’s day.

4. Andrew Wiggins, SF, Kansas Jayhawks
    6-8, 200 pounds

Wiggins was tremendous in the Jayhawks' loss in Gainesville, going for a career-high 26 points and grabbing 11 rebounds. However, he was a nonfactor in their victory over New Mexico, finishing with 11 points on 3-of-11 shooting.

Comparison: Rudy Gay. “He’s a long, athletic wing who is a decent shooter, but doesn’t have that killer instinct. Rudy’s never been a star, and I could see that being the case with this kid as well.” -- NBA executive
    Last edited by Michel G; Mon Dec 16th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Michel G wrote: View Post
    I don't mind tanking, if Masai does it right. However, we don't have any idea who Wiggins is going to be, so calling him a great player is premature. For example, Here’s an excerpt from an ESPN Insider article about the upcoming NBA Draft. They’re comparing the college players to current or past NBA players. The player they compare Andrew Wiggins to is RUDY GAY. What? Way to ruin a guy’s day.

6-8, 200 pounds

Wiggins was tremendous in the Jayhawks' loss in Gainesville, going for a career-high 26 points and grabbing 11 rebounds. However, he was a nonfactor in their victory over New Mexico, finishing with 11 points on 3-of-11 shooting.

Comparison: Rudy Gay. “He’s a long, athletic wing who is a decent shooter, but doesn’t have that killer instinct. Rudy’s never been a star, and I could see that being the case with this kid as well.” -- NBA executive
    Yeah, I read that article haha. All of their comparisons were very low.

I think we can expect these to be the players' floors.

Also, if Rudy had a better head on his shoulders, he could be a beast

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind tanking, if Masai does it right. However, we don't have any idea who Wiggins is going to be, so calling/projecting him to be a great player is premature. For example, Here’s an excerpt from an ESPN Insider article about the upcoming NBA Draft. They’re comparing the college players to current or past NBA players. The player they compare Andrew Wiggins to is RUDY GAY. What? Way to ruin a guy’s day.

6-8, 200 pounds

I've seen the comparison to Scottie Pippen and Paul George as well.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Time will tell to whoever picks him in the draft.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Pippen comparison intrigues me.

Pippen was quite possibly the greatest complimentary player the NBA has ever seen, but would he have been able to turn a franchise around single-handedly, the way most are hoping Wiggins will do?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The Pippen comparison intrigues me.

Pippen was quite possibly the greatest complimentary player the NBA has ever seen, but would he have been able to turn a franchise around single-handedly, the way most are hoping Wiggins will do?
    The answer is no. But he'd provide enough talent to attract solid FAs that could turn his team around.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

6-8, 200 pounds

I can see that comparison too for sure.

I guess what I'm saying is that Wiggins will be a very good player, but he's not lebron, tim duncan, etc. who you base the next 10 years fo your franchise around.
    They'll be another wiggins in the next couple of years. hell, he might not even be the best player to come out of this draft.

THAT being said, if we can secure a top 3 pick with some losses and some luck, in addition to trading bargs and gay, I think you can call this year successful

Post Thanks / Like

If Wiggins ends up being drafted by Milwaukee or Utah this is definitely a possibility:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...f-the-raptors/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    If Wiggins ends up being drafted by Milwaukee or Utah this is definitely a possibility:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...f-the-raptors/
    He will have to leave the value of a 4/5 year extension minus his QO on the table for this to happen in 5 years.

And yet again, it is not about Wiggins.

If the lure of playing in Toronto is that strong, playoff appearances or success will not factor in to his decision. I mean, he wants to play for them now despite the last 5 years and majority of the previous 18.... i.e. practically his entire life.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Would this change anyone's view on full tank mode this year?
    Draft Randle or Parker - who in my humble opinion will be better pros than Wiggins

Raptors Republic Starter OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

short answer if Wiggins doesn't declare:

Draft Exum

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The title of the OP suggests that this upcoming draft (nevermind Wiggins specifically) is an end unto itself. If MU considers this element of team building in a vacuum he should be fired. It is only one of the pillars.

The dreaded treadmill or mushy middle is his stated fear. He has publicly stated this. Good managers have alternatives.

Raptors Republic All-Star stretch's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors are winning too many games. They seem mediocre even at tanking. Wiggins, Randle, Parker, Exum, Randle, Smart all look unlikely, albeit not impossible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    The Raptors are winning too many games. They seem mediocre even at tanking. Wiggins, Randle, Parker, Exum, Randle, Smart all look unlikely, albeit not impossible.
    Orlando started last season 12-13 before finishing 8-49.

Plenty of time.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of time.
    Loool that's sad

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of time.
    We just need one bad stretch and the wheels will fall off!!!!

Thread Information