No announcement yet.

Raptors on the Rise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on whether the All Star game coming to Toronto comes into play on whether MU is tanking or not? Sort of a gun to his head saying the world will be watching us so we better not be the laughing stock of the NBA?

Comment

• he grabs two legit young guys like Wiggans and whoever, combined with JV and DD, the ex duck star Ross....he' slooking like a champ when the Allstar game comes

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        Any thoughts on whether the All Star game coming to Toronto comes into play on whether MU is tanking or not? Sort of a gun to his head saying the world will be watching us so we better not be the laughing stock of the NBA?
        Just my thoughts here but I truly believe 2013-14 is the teardown and asset accumulation; 2014-15 is the laying of the foundation while still sucking for a high pick; 2015-16 is the beginning of relevancy (i.e. coming out party) with a run at high profile free agent or blockbuster trade and all-star game.

But what do I know?

Comment

Any thoughts on whether the All Star game coming to Toronto comes into play on whether MU is tanking or not? Sort of a gun to his head saying the world will be watching us so we better not be the laughing stock of the NBA?
          That's what I'm saying. Their no way if we do a rebuild "right" that we're a good team by than.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
            That's what I'm saying. Their no way if we do a rebuild "right" that we're a good team by than.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            If "right" means shipping out DD/Amir/Lowry for whatever picks/assets we can get? Then yeah we definitely will not be good by then.

Imo how we should do it is trade Lowry, like we appear to be doing... and keep Amir and DeRozan. Aside from that, hang onto Ross, Vasquez (if he can be re-signed for a fair price), JV and maybe one of Hansbrough/PP. Ship out guys like Novak and Salmons to contenders for 2nd rounders if possible.

I think worst case we have a top 7 pick in the 2014 draft, and probably something similar in 2015. Combine that with a ton of flexibility to make a run at a top free agent in 2015 or even a disgruntled star looking for a new destination, and I don't see why that team couldn't be competitive.

Comment

I doubt it. I don't think he has the All-Star game in mind when making major decisions, that would be a fool's move..
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Also...Do you know what speculation sounds like (yes, speculation, what everyone here including your pompous self engage in every day)? The Raptors, as constructed, are not likely capable of reaching contender status.
                It warms the heart to share a similar appreciation for each other.

If something is stated as speculation, cool. If something is stated as fact, I don't assume speculation, but treat it as it was stated. That being said, you're mistaken that I engage in speculation every day. In fact I very rarely do, and when I do, I make it very clear that's what I'm doing. Just saying.

"The Raptors, as constructed, are not likely capable of reaching contender status."??? Really? Who'da thunk? Thanks for that insight. It clears everything up.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
                  It warms the heart to share a similar appreciation for each other.

If something is stated as speculation, cool. If something is stated as fact, I don't assume speculation, but treat it as it was stated. That being said, you're mistaken that I engage in speculation every day. In fact I very rarely do, and when I do, I make it very clear that's what I'm doing. Just saying.

"The Raptors, as constructed, are not likely capable of reaching contender status."??? Really? Who'da thunk? Thanks for that insight. It clears everything up.
                  Glad to be of help

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Just my thoughts here but I truly believe 2013-14 is the teardown and asset accumulation; 2014-15 is the laying of the foundation while still sucking for a high pick; 2015-16 is the beginning of relevancy (i.e. coming out party) with a run at high profile free agent or blockbuster trade and all-star game.

But what do I know?
                    Until MU's next move it's hard to say which way he is leaning, so everyone's opinion is worth the same. Your thoughts make sense, but I would just say that there isn't much room to stray from that plan in order to reach that goal by all star game in Toronto.

Comment

• Everyone talks abt OKC model, Heat model, Pacer model... but i think we are going to build in a way where other teams are going to look at us and be like... "lets build it the Raptor model"
                      but i just dont know what model that is.. LOL nothing in this post but just my thought..

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                        Everyone talks abt OKC model, Heat model, Pacer model... but i think we are going to build in a way where other teams are going to look at us and be like... "lets build it the Raptor model"
                        but i just dont know what model that is.. LOL nothing in this post but just my thought..
                        It will be the all dressed stud model because it is going to have it all!

Draft studs!
                        Trade for studs!
                        Sign free agent studs!

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          I still boggles my mind that some haven't accepted the tank is in full effect.
                          The next move may indicate that. But MU biding his time.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
                            Stubbornness I guess. Just silliness not to see that a trade making the team better is a tank move.
                            ?sarcasm. Lol.

Comment

• I think MU can definitely pitch the all star thing to someone coming here.

Someone who might be hungry and passed up, it is a little bit of a selling point, as long as were not in complete rebuild mode.

What I mean by that is were still in the midst of trying to move guys in and out, for pics and assets. Actually looking to make a move in the standings.

Comment

• Pro-tankers (of whom I am one) - You're saying, vs. Nosike, that no "pro-tanker" is advocating a fire sale or transactions with poor returns. You're saying that Ujiri's "we will not be a treadmill team" statements mean this team is going to tank/rebuild.

I agree.

But.

What if there are no solid offers, or offers that are a marked win for the Raps, for DD or Amir? What if the return for Lowry includes a solid established young player? What if, sans a fire sale, this team ends up finishing this season seeded somewhere between 7-10 anyway? Isn't this a highly probable outcome, considering how much stock everyone is putting in 2014 draft picks?

What then? Will your opinion change, at some point closer to the trade deadline, on the returns you'd expect for DD or Amir? If a high lottery pick is still within reach in January/February, would you fire sale then?

Right now I think a lot of us are asking to have our cake and eat it too. Not only does life not work that way, we all know being a fan of the Toronto Raptors does not work that way...

I may be wrong, but I'm more and more convinced that Ujiri's rebuild will be severe, but it will be multi-year. I don't think he's feeling the pressure of the 2014 draft. He is going to demand good return on every transaction, and that may mean moving forward with some of the current core. It may mean not having any more first round picks in 2014.

We'll see!
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X