What's your price on Amir?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig wrote: View Post
    If Charlotte wants him gone....CHARLOTTE. He's bad.
    That's a good point, because as history shows us, Michael Jordan is very thoughtful and patient when it comes to running a team.

Also, Chad Ford is one of the most reliable journalists out there when it comes to rumors. After all, Chad Ford was the guy who's announced an imminent Danny Granger trade 3 years in a row.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
      Also, Chad Ford is one of the most reliable journalists out there when it comes to rumors. After all, Chad Ford was the guy who's announced an imminent Danny Granger trade 3 years in a row.
      Its Woj or gtfo for me
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Chad Ford dosent know shit when it comes to tade rumors LMAO
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• I think Chad is much more reliable on topics pertaining to the draft and prospects...I don't look to him for trade rumors.
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• dude names off the top ten all time PF greats off the NBA to belittle Amir Johnson.

Yes guy, you're right, he isn't quite the greatest of all time, but he is pretty fucking good, so yeah, you kinda expect a really good return if you're thinking of getting rid of him.

Comment

dude names off the top ten all time PF greats off the NBA to belittle Amir Johnson.

Yes guy, you're right, he isn't quite the greatest of all time, but he is pretty fucking good, so yeah, you kinda expect a really good return if you're thinking of getting rid of him.
              If only Charles Oakley was one of the "greatest of all time", then we might've won more than a playoff round

Comment

• Pick 5-10 - I'd be ecstatic
                pick 10-15 - What I think he's worth
                20+ plus a mid/late-round prospect - What I think the league thinks he's worth

Comment

Ok, 30 is NOT an old grizzled vet, jesus christ guys, I'm 41 and there are players in the NBA clos eto my age that are still very good.

26?????

Amir came in when he was 18, he is AN AMAZING asset. if he stays disciplined, with modern diets and training he has a decade of full on high level play in front of him, why the hell do you trade a guy that can get 10 rebs in his sleep and score 12 points with black holes and stiffs playing in the guard positions.

Nah. Amir Stays.
                  This isn't a subtle reference to Steve Nash is it? I love the guy, but he's bruuuuutal right now.

Comment

• No, it isn't, and Nash is hurt anyhow.

Just saying, the age of a pro athlete, where he is still close to maximum effectiveness has increased very significantly over the last 20 years.

thats all.

Comment

• People are saying they would be ecstatic to get a 5-10 range pick or even a 10-15 pick in exchange for Johnson (some even less, but I'll ignore that for now). Just to put some perspective on the top 10 pick rhetoric:

It's generally agreed that this is the best draft class since 2003, but not as good a draft class as 2003. If you had had a 5-10 pick in 2003 you would have got one of the following 5 players: Dwayne Wade, Chris Kaman, Kirk Hinrich, TJ Ford, Michael Sweetney, Jarvis Hayes.

Only one of those players is currently better than Amir, and its debatable to whether any have ever been as good as Amir is now (never been a huge fan of Kaman but you could maybe make the argument).

If you expand to look at the 10-15 picks you're looking at: Jarvis Hayes, Mikael Pietrus, Nick Collison, Marcus Banks, Luke Ridnour or Reece Gains.

So of the 5 - 15 picks that you all covet so much, in a draft that everyone admits is at most as good as this one, you are likely to get ONE PLAYER better than Amir. That's a 10% chance, but really, it's much worse than that, because only a top 5 pick would have secured you that player.

They hype around the 'unknown' and 'potential' aspects of draft picks reminds me a lot of this:

Comment

• themasao wrote: View Post
                        People are saying they would be ecstatic to get a 5-10 range pick or even a 10-15 pick in exchange for Johnson (some even less, but I'll ignore that for now). Just to put some perspective on the top 10 pick rhetoric:

It's generally agreed that this is the best draft class since 2003, but not as good a draft class as 2003. If you had had a 5-10 pick in 2003 you would have got one of the following 5 players: Dwayne Wade, Chris Kaman, Kirk Hinrich, TJ Ford, Michael Sweetney, Jarvis Hayes.

Only one of those players is currently better than Amir, and its debatable to whether any have ever been as good as Amir is now (never been a huge fan of Kaman but you could maybe make the argument).

If you expand to look at the 10-15 picks you're looking at: Jarvis Hayes, Mikael Pietrus, Nick Collison, Marcus Banks, Luke Ridnour or Reece Gains.

So of the 5 - 15 picks that you all covet so much, in a draft that everyone admits is at most as good as this one, you are likely to get ONE PLAYER better than Amir. That's a 10% chance, but really, it's much worse than that, because only a top 5 pick would have secured you that player.

They hype around the 'unknown' and 'potential' aspects of draft picks reminds me a lot of this:
                        The top prospects aren't as good as in 2003, but personally, I think this class is deeper.
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Dealing Amir would be folly. Ujiri's deal for Gay was not tank-mode but theft. In one fell swoop, he rebuilt the bench and changed the dynamic to expand roles and responsibilities for Ross, JV and Demar and so far, so good. When he made his comments on the team around the time of the Golden State meltdown, he made it clear that they were not going to be in no-man's land. Finishing 7-8 in the east and disappearing in 4 at the hands of the Pacers or Heat is no man's land. The potential is there, with the new assets to look beyond that. Ujiri is going to be very strategic about maximizing return and the return on the Gay deal is significant in the long-term in cap-space but in the short term by upgrading spots 5-8 in the rotation and bringing about the consequent improvement in ball movement that has been witnessed the last four games.

So, Amir? There is a great deal about the man on the court and off, in the community as well that make him a rare commodity among professional athletes. His performance and contributions on the court may only appear to the naked eye and advanced metricians but it would be a setback. There aren't clear or official captaincies in the NBA but, Amir is the clear leader of this team. The return, if such a trade were made, would have to include a high-end prospect and a high pick at the bearest minimum but ideally a low-priced veteran who would also add the character Amir has and an expiring contract.

Still, my final thought on the notion is that it would be a big sacrifice of key intangibles that would be exceptionally hard to replace.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            If only Charles Oakley was one of the "greatest of all time", then we might've won more than a playoff round
                            He was the greatest of all-time. At full court baseball bounce passes that went out of bounds and ill timed behind the back passes that also found the seats
                            Ball Don't Lie

Comment

• sillydebate wrote: View Post
                              Dealing Amir would be folly. Ujiri's deal for Gay was not tank-mode but theft. In one fell swoop, he rebuilt the bench and changed the dynamic to expand roles and responsibilities for Ross, JV and Demar and so far, so good. When he made his comments on the team around the time of the Golden State meltdown, he made it clear that they were not going to be in no-man's land. Finishing 7-8 in the east and disappearing in 4 at the hands of the Pacers or Heat is no man's land. The potential is there, with the new assets to look beyond that. Ujiri is going to be very strategic about maximizing return and the return on the Gay deal is significant in the long-term in cap-space but in the short term by upgrading spots 5-8 in the rotation and bringing about the consequent improvement in ball movement that has been witnessed the last four games.

So, Amir? There is a great deal about the man on the court and off, in the community as well that make him a rare commodity among professional athletes. His performance and contributions on the court may only appear to the naked eye and advanced metricians but it would be a setback. There aren't clear or official captaincies in the NBA but, Amir is the clear leader of this team. The return, if such a trade were made, would have to include a high-end prospect and a high pick at the bearest minimum but ideally a low-priced veteran who would also add the character Amir has and an expiring contract.

Still, my final thought on the notion is that it would be a big sacrifice of key intangibles that would be exceptionally hard to replace.
                              Thank you for you.

Comment

• Maybe we are over valuing him, maybe not. I'm not on the phones to see what has been offered and what's available. After all we have no insights into the supply/demand that dictates values. Tha tbeing said, I wouldn't get rid of him for anything less than a top 5 pick. I think his value to this team is very very high.
                                Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Working...
                                X