Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brandon wrote:
    Why?
    When he is on the floor he makes everyone better when he doesn't have the ball. This is a very underrated skill and a very rare one at the NBA level. Every NBA champion has been carried on the backs of superstars, but its guys like Amir that are the achilles tendon

He is also a great role model both on-court and off-court for all of his teammates, when building a sustainable franchise this is key for the young guys coming into the league.

He also is a great example of defining a role for yourself as a player, how to play within yourself, how to act a pro, how to play hard every night......

Basically he is a sensei in every aspect of a basketball player. That is something the Raps need to keep in this franchise.

Comment

delman21 wrote: View Post
      I think Amir can fetch some ransom, but is he the perfect compliment to JV going forward at least until his contract is up.

He has no experience of course but he plays hurt, does all the dirty work, doesn't complain can get double double just for showing up, and "OLD" School Pro. He allows JV to shine, did I mention he is unselfish as well.

There is no player outside of the Julius Randle who gets the same numbers next year, without getting plays called for them, Amir runs the P&R and HUSTLE. BANG FOR BUCK absolutely. But that being said for the right deal meaning a better player not a unproven pick, yes do it. But we all know that won't be happening.

Same goes for DD but he still has upside some of us believe anyway. He could be very valuable in the near future, depends on if he keeps improving and TO keeps winning. Either or keep'em I say.

We can still make some noise this year and possibly get a pic, maybe late, and end up with pieces and the playoffs to attract player, and or trades. Lowery is still a coveted piece for playoff teams, who knows if CHI town takes him and out pick and returns the 2 they have. No one knows how desperate teams will be. Lots of the players in todays game didn't hear the crowd when we were winning before the baby syndrome set in, Vince and Bosh. So that also might ignite a following like DD was talking about with FA's coming here in the future. Add a couple of pieces from the draft if we cant get Andrew and wait for him when he becomes a free agent, cause we will have the best shot if we got the money.

I think the all-star game in 2016 will be a good chance of TO landing someone, or increasing our chances anyhow.
      Bold is the nail on the head IMO. Amir does all this with zero plays run specifically for him. That speaks wonders about his style of play.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

If amir can develop his defence to the point where he's a lockdown defender that you have to play on the Boshes and Duncans of the league, then he'll be good enough to start for any contender.
        "Bruno?
        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Amir is clearly the best player on this team.

Unfortunately, it doesnt show in the basic numbers (though advanced metrics LOVE him), and therefor I feel we would get bad return for Amir who is not considered to be a star, yet his statistical impact on this team is larger than any 'star' we have ever had.

Also he is still super young... I am just waiting for this guy to become one of the best PF vets in the league.
          Last edited by enlightenment; Mon Dec 16, 2013, 07:45 PM.
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
            Amir is clearly the best player on this team.

Unfortunately, it doesnt show in the basic numbers (though advanced metrics LOVE him), and therefor I feel we would get bad return for Amir who is not considered to be a star, yet his statistical impact on this team is larger than any 'star' we have ever had.

Also he is still super young... I am just waiting for this guy to become one of the best PF vets in the league.
            I wouldn't trade amir for anything less than a lottery pick and even then i'd think hard. Dude is easily my favourite player on the team, he is a BEAST.

Comment

I love Amir.. but the question that I have is what would he be worth in free agency in 2 years? Assuming this year is a write-off then what would Amir's extension be worth to the club when they hopefully finally turn that corner. And is that extension going to hurt them if they plan to lure a top 15 talent?

Amir is only 26 but has miles of wear on his body. He's been the lone center for the Raptors for a few years now and so you got to think that he's going to eventually slow down.

I could imagine any number of GM's/scouts would be drooling over having him on their roster. He's an intangible guy. Mr. Hustle. Good salary.. good teammate, etc. Definitely worthy of a first round pick. Me personally would be top 10 pick as stated by others.. but the teams with top 10 picks are rebuilding and would be in the same boat as Toronto most likely.

So therefore I would keep him unless a really good offer blew me away. If MU got anything other than a top 10 pick I would be disappointed but I'd be rooting for him where ever he goes. He'll always be a Raptor in my heart.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                I love Amir.. but the question that I have is what would he be worth in free agency in 2 years? Assuming this year is a write-off then what would Amir's extension be worth to the club when they hopefully finally turn that corner. And is that extension going to hurt them if they plan to lure a top 15 talent?

Amir is only 26 but has miles of wear on his body. He's been the lone center for the Raptors for a few years now and so you got to think that he's going to eventually slow down.

I could imagine any number of GM's/scouts would be drooling over having him on their roster. He's an intangible guy. Mr. Hustle. Good salary.. good teammate, etc. Definitely worthy of a first round pick. Me personally would be top 10 pick as stated by others.. but the teams with top 10 picks are rebuilding and would be in the same boat as Toronto most likely.

So therefore I would keep him unless a really good offer blew me away. If MU got anything other than a top 10 pick I would be disappointed but I'd be rooting for him where ever he goes. He'll always be a Raptor in my heart.
                He is 1 year older and played in 2 more seasons than Durant but has played 75 less regular/post season games with a career minutes per game of 21 versus Durant's 38.

Not trying to be a dick here but I don't think Amir's got miles and miles.

He seems level headed enough and, assuming his love of Toronto is legit, I don't see an issue resigning him in 2015 with a young/talented/promising roster. NBA players realize it is a business and if the Raptors can significantly raise the ceiling of future prospects, he might actually welcome a hiatus.... but I just pulled that from my ass and have no real idea.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  He is 1 year older and played in 2 more seasons than Durant but has played 75 less regular/post season games with a career minutes per game of 21 versus Durant's 38.

Not trying to be a dick here but I don't think Amir's got miles and miles.

He seems level headed enough and, assuming his love of Toronto is legit, I don't see an issue resigning him in 2015 with a young/talented/promising roster. NBA players realize it is a business and if the Raptors can significantly raise the ceiling of future prospects, he might actually welcome a hiatus.... but I just pulled that from my ass and have no real idea.
                  You dick!

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    You dick!
                    Guilty.

Comment

I knew that people liked Amir .. but some of the talk on here is batshit crazy! You wouldnt trade Amir for a top ten pick in the best draft in over a decade? Have you completely lost your mind???
                      Note that we have had Amir for the last 7 seasons and despite some good efficiency stats, what has he done to help us win? Hes a great glue guy .. but as people have pointed out - he doesnt do anything at an elite level. Frankly, hes only been a borderline starter on OUR team, let alone a good one.
                      Now, dont get me wrong, this guy would be awesome on a good team (OKC, Miami, etc), because hes a great compliment. BUT, I cant imagine any middle of the road team thinking that Amir puts them over the top.
                      Realistically, if we can get a late first rounder for him, that would be doing FANTASTIC.
                      I really like Amir and think hes playing as well as he has in while, but some of the overvaluing of him blows my mind.
                      Also, in terms of return for a trade, I think hes our 5th most valuable asset, behind (in order) JV, DD, KL and TR... which says something in and of itself.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                        I knew that people liked Amir .. but some of the talk on here is batshit crazy! You wouldnt trade Amir for a top ten pick in the best draft in over a decade? Have you completely lost your mind???
                        Note that we have had Amir for the last 7 seasons and despite some good efficiency stats, what has he done to help us win? Hes a great glue guy .. but as people have pointed out - he doesnt do anything at an elite level. Frankly, hes only been a borderline starter on OUR team, let alone a good one.
                        Now, dont get me wrong, this guy would be awesome on a good team (OKC, Miami, etc), because hes a great compliment. BUT, I cant imagine any middle of the road team thinking that Amir puts them over the top.
                        Realistically, if we can get a late first rounder for him, that would be doing FANTASTIC.
                        I really like Amir and think hes playing as well as he has in while, but some of the overvaluing of him blows my mind.
                        Also, in terms of return for a trade, I think hes our 5th most valuable asset, behind (in order) JV, DD, KL and TR... which says something in and of itself.
                        ESPN/Chad Ford disagree with you
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

I don't think Amir can be traded for the simple reason that he has more value to the Raptors than to any other team. I think Amir is playing very well, the best in his life.

On paper you could look at his numbers (post-Gay) and think "Wow, this guy is better than Pau Gasol!", but in reality around the league, he's no where close to that level of value. Even if you think that value is wrong, that's out of our control. You could say that his numbers are inflated on a bad team and he'll suck on good one, but based on his style of play, that really is impossible to predict. It's not the same situation as DeRozan where he's been given the keys to the offense and his playing beyond his actual ability. Most of Amir's production comes from things he creates on his own, when the playcalling was for someone else.

Therefore to trade him would very likely mean you get 50 cents on the dollar for him. From a Raptors perspective and him being just 26 years old, to me he's worth somewhere between a 12-16 pick, but in reality he may not get more than a 20+.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

I gotta say, I don't really agree with most of you.

Almost every single post lists more positives than negatives.

He's got great efficiency, but
                            He's a good player on a great team but
                            he's only 26 years old but
                            he's playin better than Pau but

But what?

Honestly, but what?

You guys are looking to make moves with your team so badly youre starting to talk about trading already established, solid assets for a chance at a miracle at #20 in a draft??? You're looking to move a guy who absolutely loves Toronto, when you are all happy MU is looking for guys that want to be here, for a chance at a player who might not even be as good, and who may not want to be here? You have a player, who has been here for along time while EVERYONE ELSE is gone, thats for a reason, its because a lot of better basketball minds than your own know how valuable Amir Johnson is, they keep him because he is a VERY good piece on any team, not to mention he has a great contract for what he provides.

There is creativity, and there is wisdom or prudence or whatever, and then there is jut silliness and hysteria. Lets just remember this when we are playing the GM role on here. You have to be smart, and you have to be realistic. sometimes you over value what you have, but in other times, clearly this is one, fans get a bad case of thinking the grass will be greener someplace else, and they severely ignore just how good a player they already have is.

Amir Johnson is a great player for Toronto, from A-b he's solid in this market. you don't trade away great players unless you are getting something great in return.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                              I agree with you 100%.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                                Numerous posts say otherwise. there is a whole thread devoted to suggesting that "the debate is over", and I've seen numerous posts, there and elsewhere, that go as far as calling people ridiculous/delusional if they don't see that MU is in full tank mode.
                                I believe the original poster was referring to Chad Ford. Not people on the boards. It seems that everyone in the media was reporting that MU had officially started the tank with the RG move, but many are starting to doubt their original stance. Interestingly enough that seems to be a common occurrence on RR as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X