No announcement yet.

MLSE Strike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncle_Si - "Nearly every billionaire and millionaire in the free world at some point came from nothing."
    JimiCliff - "Ummmmm...you can't possibly be serious."
    Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    OK. Explain to me how that is not factual.
    Uncle_Si - the actual term you are looking for is 'social mobility'. There are lots of studies on this. Start with Wikipedia if you like, or here is a link: http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/de...-mobility.aspx

The US has some of the worst social mobility around (comparable to feudal Pakistan, though still a bit better than communist China): the amount of money Americans have is strongly correlated to the amount of money that their parents had. Canada has much better social mobility.

Look at it this way: if your parents are billionaires, you'll have to be pretty incompetent not to be a multi-multi-millionaire (especially because most of the billionaires will set up a 'family office' to preserve wealth and make sure you don't piss it away). So if you look at a list of billionaires and millionaires, a significant number of them will have had very wealthy parents ... of course, with growing population over time, we will have had to have many new millionaires, because there weren't as millionaires in the past.
    Last edited by Kuh; Tue Dec 17, 2013, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
      A free markets final resting spot is a monopoly? Woah.
      I'll take that a step further.

A free markets final resting spot is in fact an economic feudal system.

Comment

Woah. You guys are way smarter than me. I give up. Enjoy.
        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
        Because its 2015

Comment

My buddy used to serve at the ACC at Raptors and Leafs games. He would routinely make $300-400 cash a night in tips. Somehow I feel no sympathy for your unionized jobs. Welcome back to the real world folks, ps it sucks here for the rest of us.

Comment

b2kelly wrote: View Post
            My buddy used to serve at the ACC at Raptors and Leafs games. He would routinely make $300-400 cash a night in tips. Somehow I feel no sympathy for your unionized jobs. Welcome back to the real world folks, ps it sucks here for the rest of us.
            I know someone who works at the ACC (in a branch where he's not directly affected by the strike). He does work in the food service sector though as a supervisor, and employees are not allowed to make tips. they can get in serious shit for accepting them. Your friend must have worked something specific where it was allowed (maybe waiting on people with box seats? I have no clue where it would be permitted), or was getting away with something that could've easily cost him his job.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              I know someone who works at the ACC (in a branch where he's not directly affected by the strike). He does work in the food service sector though as a supervisor, and employees are not allowed to make tips. they can get in serious shit for accepting them. Your friend must have worked something specific where it was allowed (maybe waiting on people with box seats? I have no clue where it would be permitted), or was getting away with something that could've easily cost him his job.
              Don't they have union agreement to share all tips by percentage?

Comment

Update

So I have a little inside information on this that I thought I'd share.

My roommate works for MLSE in a non-unionized role. Yesterday they all received an email asking to help with the convesrion from hockey to basketaball after last night's Leafs game. They were told it generally took 4 or 5 hours to complete, as of this morning at 7:00am the hardwood was maybe half laid down, with them expecitng to be done at 9 this morning, 12 hours later.

It doesn't look like their inexpertise will affect tonight's game, but it was closer than they're likely comfortable with, and I'm hoping this doesn't drag on and affect any games after this upcoming road swing.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                  Don't they have union agreement to share all tips by percentage?
                  Don't think so. He was telling me how one stand put out a tip jar, and the manager came down to shit on them after their shift was over.

Again, I'm not sure if there are certain positions where tips are ok, but the general concession stands around the arena are not allowed to accept tips.

Comment

Working...
                  X