Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another way to get wiggins (P Jones)

Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another way to get wiggins (P Jones)

I'm stealing this one from the morning coffee on the main page. Feel free to merge it if needed. I can't link the article but it's in the basketball section on sportsnet.ca. Ok, that's enough excuses. The general concept is that rather than tank for wiggins now, why not try to slowly build while wiggins goes through his learning curve elsewhere and then sign him as a free agent. It's not a new concept but I think it has some growing validity with the way the tank standings are going. As of now, who is most likely to get him? Utah? Milwaukee? Philadelphia? Orlando? Sacramento? These aren't free agent destinations. They're where free agents leave. Might that happen? Do all prized rookies sign extensions? Is four years too soon an expectation? Interesting idea.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Or stock pile picks and then trade up in the draft like we did for carter
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

3. Like Masai Ujiri liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I prefer this method, although I'd add picks AND assets.

None of the guys in this draft seem like generational prospects, so teams will probably be willing to trade up or down if they like guys at particular positions, or want to add other pieces to their teams.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nosike wrote: View Post
    I prefer this method.
    So do I but it's gonna be hard. The ideal scenario would be making the playoffs and still netting wiggins. Maybe try getting one of Phoenix's picks and then packaging it with ours plus like t Ross for wiggins
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm leaning towards that perspective more and more. Masai seems to be the person that wants to control outcomes as best as he can. Draft day trades appear to be the best way to do that because you can best guarantee your desired assets then. IF you can get who you want for what you are willing to give up. It's a smart play and makes so much sense for MLSE and the team going forward.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    I'm stealing this one from the morning coffee on the main page. Feel free to merge it if needed. I can't link the article but it's in the basketball section on sportsnet.ca. Ok, that's enough excuses. The general concept is that rather than tank for wiggins now, why not try to slowly build while wiggins goes through his learning curve elsewhere and then sign him as a free agent.
    Because that's eight years from now, basically, which is not really a plan per se.

8. Like LBF, OldSkoolCool, Raptorsnz, Joey, slaw liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Not what happened. Toronto was terrible, had the 4th pick, drafted Jamison (who they knew GSW wanted) then traded down a pick to get Carter for a lower salary plus cash considerations.

10. Like LBF, Letter N, Fully liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jclaw wrote: View Post
    I'm stealing this one from the morning coffee on the main page. Feel free to merge it if needed. I can't link the article but it's in the basketball section on sportsnet.ca. Ok, that's enough excuses. The general concept is that rather than tank for wiggins now, why not try to slowly build while wiggins goes through his learning curve elsewhere and then sign him as a free agent. It's not a new concept but I think it has some growing validity with the way the tank standings are going. As of now, who is most likely to get him? Utah? Milwaukee? Philadelphia? Orlando? Sacramento? These aren't free agent destinations. They're where free agents leave. Might that happen? Do all prized rookies sign extensions? Is four years too soon an expectation? Interesting idea.
    The thing is, the team can slowly build towards signing him later while tanking now. In fact, doing so *probably* gets you further ahead with respect to this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Not what happened. Toronto was terrible, had the 4th pick, drafted Jamison (who they knew GSW wanted) then traded down a pick to get Carter for a lower salary plus cash considerations.
    Yea I know but you get the picture

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys stop beating a dead horse and just have faith in Masai. Hes anticipating draft night more than anyone. Wiggins will be heaviliy pushed for no doubt! but we may even leave the draft with something just as promising for the team moving forward.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we can assume that Wiggins will want to come to Toronto once he reaches free agency. If the team that drafts him plays well, they surround him with complimentary pieces, and he enjoys the city, what motivation is there to leave?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I don't think we can assume that Wiggins will want to come to Toronto once he reaches free agency. If the team that drafts him plays well, they surround him with complimentary pieces, and he enjoys the city, what motivation is there to leave?
    Playing in your home town infont of the people you grew up alongside is pretty dop and has its appeal.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Because that's eight years from now, basically, which is not really a plan per se.
    and thats the problem.

8 years is a life time by NBA standards. You can't plan for anything specific 8 years from now, you can only have macro ideas of where you'd like to be.

The infinite number of possibilities between today and 8 years from now are ridiculous. Its fine to say if we don't get Wiggins this year (or insert name/year) we'll try to get him at the next opportunity. But to plan for that now is simple wasting resources and opportunities.

This is simply not a rational idea at all. It really makes me question just how intelligent these so called basketball minds are.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, going forward now with the intention of signing Wiggins after his rookie contract seems very risky. It hinders the development of the team up until that point, with no guarantee that he is actually going to sign here. Plus, by that time Wiggins might not be that appealing. Many assume he will be a superstar, but it's just as likely he will not be. I have no issues with attempting to sign Wiggins later if we are unable to land him in the draft, but I don't think planning to acquire him in FA is very wise.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, why 8 years? Is there a restriction on players coming off rookie deals?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Playing in your home town infont of the people you grew up alongside is pretty dop and has its appeal.
    To the average person, yeah. To a professional athlete, there's nothing stopping Wiggins from spending his off-seasons in Toronto, thus giving him the best of both worlds.

All I'm saying that if our plan is to dangle "O' Canada" in front of Wiggins in 5 years, it's a pretty weak plan.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    They're RFAs. But if Milwaukee still sucks in 4 or 5 years, maybe Wiggins requests a trade?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    The least amount of time it could be is 5 years: 4 years rookie deal plus one year qualifying offer to become unrestricted.

That is for any player coming off a rookie deal.

Why you don't see players typically do this is because they rarely give up the guaranteed money.

Someone else mentioned it earlier but only guy I can remember is Ben Gordon.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

To the average person, yeah. To a professional athlete, there's nothing stopping Wiggins from spending his off-seasons in Toronto, thus giving him the best of both worlds.

All I'm saying that if our plan is to dangle "O' Canada" in front of Wiggins in 5 years, it's a pretty weak plan.

Yes it is, but I have a feeling on draft night whoever is in position to draft Wiggins will be getting crazy offers from Toronto... Whoever holds the pick to Wiggins, literally has our franchise by the balls come June, cause managment wants that kid.

I feel whatever picks we acquire from now and draft lottery night is simply leverage to trade into getting Wiggins like no Props said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Yes it is, but I have a feeling on draft night whoever is in position to draft Wiggins will be getting crazy offers from Toronto... Whoever holds the pick to Wiggins, literally has our franchise by the balls come June, cause managment wants that kid.

I feel whatever picks we acquire from now and draft lottery night is simply leverage to trade into getting Wiggins like no Props said.
    The best thing that can happen is Wiggins pulling a Steve Francis and pouting like a little bitch about being drafted by anyone other than the Raptors.....forcing his team to trade him

24. Like NoPropsneeded liked this post

Thread Information