Another way to get wiggins (P Jones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another way to get wiggins (P Jones)

I'm stealing this one from the morning coffee on the main page. Feel free to merge it if needed. I can't link the article but it's in the basketball section on sportsnet.ca. Ok, that's enough excuses. The general concept is that rather than tank for wiggins now, why not try to slowly build while wiggins goes through his learning curve elsewhere and then sign him as a free agent. It's not a new concept but I think it has some growing validity with the way the tank standings are going. As of now, who is most likely to get him? Utah? Milwaukee? Philadelphia? Orlando? Sacramento? These aren't free agent destinations. They're where free agents leave. Might that happen? Do all prized rookies sign extensions? Is four years too soon an expectation? Interesting idea.

Or stock pile picks and then trade up in the draft like we did for carter

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      I prefer this method, although I'd add picks AND assets.

None of the guys in this draft seem like generational prospects, so teams will probably be willing to trade up or down if they like guys at particular positions, or want to add other pieces to their teams.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
        I prefer this method.
        So do I but it's gonna be hard. The ideal scenario would be making the playoffs and still netting wiggins. Maybe try getting one of Phoenix's picks and then packaging it with ours plus like t Ross for wiggins

Comment

I'm leaning towards that perspective more and more. Masai seems to be the person that wants to control outcomes as best as he can. Draft day trades appear to be the best way to do that because you can best guarantee your desired assets then. IF you can get who you want for what you are willing to give up. It's a smart play and makes so much sense for MLSE and the team going forward.
          Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
          Because its 2015

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
            I'm stealing this one from the morning coffee on the main page. Feel free to merge it if needed. I can't link the article but it's in the basketball section on sportsnet.ca. Ok, that's enough excuses. The general concept is that rather than tank for wiggins now, why not try to slowly build while wiggins goes through his learning curve elsewhere and then sign him as a free agent.
            Because that's eight years from now, basically, which is not really a plan per se.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              Not what happened. Toronto was terrible, had the 4th pick, drafted Jamison (who they knew GSW wanted) then traded down a pick to get Carter for a lower salary plus cash considerations.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                I'm stealing this one from the morning coffee on the main page. Feel free to merge it if needed. I can't link the article but it's in the basketball section on sportsnet.ca. Ok, that's enough excuses. The general concept is that rather than tank for wiggins now, why not try to slowly build while wiggins goes through his learning curve elsewhere and then sign him as a free agent. It's not a new concept but I think it has some growing validity with the way the tank standings are going. As of now, who is most likely to get him? Utah? Milwaukee? Philadelphia? Orlando? Sacramento? These aren't free agent destinations. They're where free agents leave. Might that happen? Do all prized rookies sign extensions? Is four years too soon an expectation? Interesting idea.
                The thing is, the team can slowly build towards signing him later while tanking now. In fact, doing so *probably* gets you further ahead with respect to this.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  Not what happened. Toronto was terrible, had the 4th pick, drafted Jamison (who they knew GSW wanted) then traded down a pick to get Carter for a lower salary plus cash considerations.
                  Yea I know but you get the picture

Comment

Hey guys stop beating a dead horse and just have faith in Masai. Hes anticipating draft night more than anyone. Wiggins will be heaviliy pushed for no doubt! but we may even leave the draft with something just as promising for the team moving forward.

Comment

I don't think we can assume that Wiggins will want to come to Toronto once he reaches free agency. If the team that drafts him plays well, they surround him with complimentary pieces, and he enjoys the city, what motivation is there to leave?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        I don't think we can assume that Wiggins will want to come to Toronto once he reaches free agency. If the team that drafts him plays well, they surround him with complimentary pieces, and he enjoys the city, what motivation is there to leave?
                        Playing in your home town infont of the people you grew up alongside is pretty dop and has its appeal.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                          Because that's eight years from now, basically, which is not really a plan per se.
                          and thats the problem.

8 years is a life time by NBA standards. You can't plan for anything specific 8 years from now, you can only have macro ideas of where you'd like to be.

The infinite number of possibilities between today and 8 years from now are ridiculous. Its fine to say if we don't get Wiggins this year (or insert name/year) we'll try to get him at the next opportunity. But to plan for that now is simple wasting resources and opportunities.

This is simply not a rational idea at all. It really makes me question just how intelligent these so called basketball minds are.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            I agree, going forward now with the intention of signing Wiggins after his rookie contract seems very risky. It hinders the development of the team up until that point, with no guarantee that he is actually going to sign here. Plus, by that time Wiggins might not be that appealing. Many assume he will be a superstar, but it's just as likely he will not be. I have no issues with attempting to sign Wiggins later if we are unable to land him in the draft, but I don't think planning to acquire him in FA is very wise.

Comment

Guys, why 8 years? Is there a restriction on players coming off rookie deals?

Comment

Working...
                              X