Another way to get wiggins (P Jones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Playing in your home town infont of the people you grew up alongside is pretty dop and has its appeal.
    To the average person, yeah. To a professional athlete, there's nothing stopping Wiggins from spending his off-seasons in Toronto, thus giving him the best of both worlds.

All I'm saying that if our plan is to dangle "O' Canada" in front of Wiggins in 5 years, it's a pretty weak plan.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
      Guys, why 8 years? Is there a restriction on players coming off rookie deals?
      They're RFAs. But if Milwaukee still sucks in 4 or 5 years, maybe Wiggins requests a trade?
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Guys, why 8 years? Is there a restriction on players coming off rookie deals?
        The least amount of time it could be is 5 years: 4 years rookie deal plus one year qualifying offer to become unrestricted.

That is for any player coming off a rookie deal.

Why you don't see players typically do this is because they rarely give up the guaranteed money.

Someone else mentioned it earlier but only guy I can remember is Ben Gordon.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          To the average person, yeah. To a professional athlete, there's nothing stopping Wiggins from spending his off-seasons in Toronto, thus giving him the best of both worlds.

All I'm saying that if our plan is to dangle "O' Canada" in front of Wiggins in 5 years, it's a pretty weak plan.

Yes it is, but I have a feeling on draft night whoever is in position to draft Wiggins will be getting crazy offers from Toronto... Whoever holds the pick to Wiggins, literally has our franchise by the balls come June, cause managment wants that kid.

I feel whatever picks we acquire from now and draft lottery night is simply leverage to trade into getting Wiggins like no Props said.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
            Yes it is, but I have a feeling on draft night whoever is in position to draft Wiggins will be getting crazy offers from Toronto... Whoever holds the pick to Wiggins, literally has our franchise by the balls come June, cause managment wants that kid.

I feel whatever picks we acquire from now and draft lottery night is simply leverage to trade into getting Wiggins like no Props said.
            The best thing that can happen is Wiggins pulling a Steve Francis and pouting like a little bitch about being drafted by anyone other than the Raptors.....forcing his team to trade him

Comment

The best thing that can happen is Wiggins pulling a Steve Francis and pouting like a little bitch about being drafted by anyone other than the Raptors.....forcing his team to trade him
              That would make me smile...forever.

Comment

Exactly. Sure, Wiggins would prefer Toronto RIGHT NOW, but after 8 years in the NBA he's going to be a completely different person and the whimsical 17 year old from T.O will be long gone.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Im hoping for this. I dont want to play in milwaukee my family is too far away I dont know anyone there I want to go to Toronto trade me now. that Steve Francis story was so great lol.

JV for the rights to Wiggins on draft night book it.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    The least amount of time it could be is 5 years: 4 years rookie deal plus one year qualifying offer to become unrestricted.

That is for any player coming off a rookie deal.

Why you don't see players typically do this is because they rarely give up the guaranteed money.

Someone else mentioned it earlier but only guy I can remember is Ben Gordon.
                    So, qualifying offer is a player option? If they pick it up they can become UFA the following offseason? If they don't pick it up they go to RFA?

Comment

So for anyone who doesn't know.... wiggins would be pulling the ultimate patriotic move by doing a Steve Francis on draft night.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                        I'm stealing this one from the morning coffee on the main page. Feel free to merge it if needed. I can't link the article but it's in the basketball section on sportsnet.ca. Ok, that's enough excuses. The general concept is that rather than tank for wiggins now, why not try to slowly build while wiggins goes through his learning curve elsewhere and then sign him as a free agent. It's not a new concept but I think it has some growing validity with the way the tank standings are going. As of now, who is most likely to get him? Utah? Milwaukee? Philadelphia? Orlando? Sacramento? These aren't free agent destinations. They're where free agents leave. Might that happen? Do all prized rookies sign extensions? Is four years too soon an expectation? Interesting idea.
                        Draft Exum/Smart in this draft and then sign Wiggins in 4 years. Oh god.
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

So, qualifying offer is a player option? If they pick it up they can become UFA the following offseason? If they don't pick it up they go to RFA?
                          When a player comes off their rookie contract, the team extends a qualifying offer (a one year contract for a set amount, 30% above their previous year's salary, usually far below what the player is worth). While that offer is on the table, if the player signs an offer sheet with another team, the original team is able to match and retain the player (this is restricted free agency). The player can choose instead to sign the qualifying offer, meaning he plays one more season for his original team then is an unrestricted free agent. This pretty much never happens, but that's the hope of the dreamers who want Wiggins to bolt and sign here after 5 years.

Here's the thing everyone ignores when discussing this situation. Assuming Wiggins is a max contract level player, that's not true. A team has two options when extending a qualifying offer - they can extend the usual one-year qualifying offer at a low contract value as described above. Or they can extend a maximum qualifying offer. This is exactly the same as the qualifying offer above (it allows the team to match any offer to the free agent), except for 3 things.

1) Any offer made to the player must now be 3 years in length. With a regular QO, offers must be at least 2 years in length.
                          2) The value of the qualifying offer is the player's maximum salary (after a rookie deal this is about 14 million per year) instead of the reduced amount in a regular QO (for the first overall pick about 8.2 million).

And most importantly:

3) The maximum qualifying offer is a contract 5 years in length. Signing the QO in this case would lock the player into a 5 year maximum contract with his original team. The player would be free to leave earlier if he signed a 4 year offer from another team.

So when I and others say that (assuming Wiggins is worth all the fuss, and therefore worth a max contract) the first chance to get him in free agency will be after 8 or 9 years, that's where the certainty comes from. It's not an assumption that he won't bolt when he gets the chance - it is the reality that he won't get the chance until then.
                          Last edited by DanH; Fri Dec 20, 2013, 10:15 AM. Reason: Update for error - 2 and 3 years in new CBA, not 3 and 4
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            So do I but it's gonna be hard. The ideal scenario would be making the playoffs and still netting wiggins. Maybe try getting one of Phoenix's picks and then packaging it with ours plus like t Ross for wiggins
                            Especially if wiggins not keen to go to a particular team.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                              When a player comes off their rookie contract, the team extends a qualifying offer (a one year contract for a set amount, 30% above their previous year's salary, usually far below what the player is worth). While that offer is on the table, if the player signs an offer sheet with another team, the original team is able to match and retain the player (this is restricted free agency). The player can choose instead to sign the qualifying offer, meaning he plays one more season for his original team then is an unrestricted free agent. This pretty much never happens, but that's the hope of the dreamers who want Wiggins to bolt and sign here after 5 years.

Here's the thing everyone ignores when discussing this situation. Assuming Wiggins is a max contract level player, that's not true. A team has two options when extending a qualifying offer - they can extend the usual one-year qualifying offer at a low contract value as described above. Or they can extend a maximum qualifying offer. This is exactly the same as the qualifying offer above (it allows the team to match any offer to the free agent), except for 3 things.

1) Any offer made to the player must now be 4 years in length. With a regular QO, offers must be at least 3 years in length.
                              2) The value of the qualifying offer is the player's maximum salary (after a rookie deal this is about 14 million per year) instead of the reduced amount in a regular QO (for the first overall pick about 8.2 million).

And most importantly:

3) The maximum qualifying offer is a contract 5 years in length. Signing the QO in this case would lock the player into a 5 year maximum contract with his original team. The player would be free to leave earlier if he signed a 4 year offer from another team.

So when I and others say that (assuming Wiggins is worth all the fuss, and therefore worth a max contract) the first chance to get him in free agency will be after 8 or 9 years, that's where the certainty comes from. It's not an assumption that he won't bolt when he gets the chance - it is the reality that he won't get the chance until then.
                              But if a player doesn't want to play in a certain city it becomes more likely they do not draft him or trade him. If MU could provide significant assets to said team it might work.

Comment

Maybe we can send him a Wayne Gretzky video in 5 years so he can go to LA.

Comment

Working...
                                X