Thread: Who has higher trade value?

Raptors Republic Rookie Theshwa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who has higher trade value?

With all the recent talk about trades in the nba there seems to be a couple players who have been mentioned on numerous occasions. These five players seem to have similar games and they have been mentioned in trade rumours throughout the season. Just getting a feeler for the order of trade value right now and whether the raps have the upper hand on this one.

Jeff Green
    Arron Afflalo
    Demar DeRozan
    Evan Turner
    Harrison Barnes

Post Thanks / Like

Barnes
    DeRozan
    Afflalo
    Turner
    Green

My assumption of their perceived value among GMs, based on a combination of talent, potential, age, salary, contract status, etc...
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Dec 18th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.

3. Like enlightenment liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Barnes
    DeRozan
    Afflalo
    Turner
    Green
    I think I would put Afflalo on top and Barnes and Derozan as a tie for 2nd.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

In order: Barnes (by a lot), Afflalo, DeRozan, Green, Turner.

Barnes is the cheapest - while you will be paying at least $7m a year for the next three years for any of the others, you're only paying Barnes $3-4 for comparable output.

Afflalo is the best player of these five, and cheaper than the three below him (about 7.5m). He's also the oldest, so when his contract runs out he'll be 31. You're getting Afflalo's prime for a very good price.

DeRozan's the priciest but the second youngest and the second likeliest (after Barnes) to improve from where he is now.

Green is basically Afflalo except a little more expensive and very slightly less productive with some lingering health concerns.

Turner is the second cheapest but he's having a career year that puts him on par with all of these other players and next year is his qualifying offer year so be prepared to overspend.

6. Like S.R. liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Barnes
    DeRozan
    Afflalo
    Turner
    Green

My assumption of their perceived value among GMs, based on a combination of talent, potential, age, salary, contract status, etc...
    I think u are bang on.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Barnes
    DeRozan
    Afflalo
    Turner
    Green
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Barnes
    DeRozan
    Afflalo
    Turner
    Green

Pretty much this.
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Barnes
    DeRozan
    Afflalo
    Turner
    Green

Yup, this is the answer
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Barnes
    DeRozan
    Afflalo
    Turner
    Green

Bang on

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
    Bang on
    Seems about right

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Barnes
    Afflalo
    Turner
    Green
    DeRozan

DD should be the lowest, most teams don't need a SG that spends all his time settling for long 2s, doing nothing other than score, and playing terrible defense. He's also the most expensive of the 5.

Post Thanks / Like

Barnes
    DeRozan
    Afflalo
    Turner
    Green

Your list is good in general, but if you're a team that's looking at win now~ish, then I'd put Afflalo at the top of the list. He is the best contributor today and possibly over the next 2 years also. Green is to a lesser extent.
    Whatever you do, do it the best you can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Your list is good in general, but if you're a team that's looking at win now~ish, then I'd put Afflalo at the top of the list. He is the best contributor today and possibly over the next 2 years also. Green is to a lesser extent.
    That's a good point. Anytime you rank players, it's hard to do without knowing the context. A win-now team and a rebuilding team would have very different priorities. A luxury tax team and a team with cap space would have much different financial allowances. A team needing scoring and a team loaded with scorers at other positions would weight skillsets differently.

I try to approach it as though I was building a team from scratch, starting today, rightly or wrongly. Unless there's a specific team rumored to be interested, then it's fun to put yourself in the position of their GM, which could turn the original ordering completely on its head.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good point. Anytime you rank players, it's hard to do without knowing the context. A win-now team and a rebuilding team would have very different priorities. A luxury tax team and a team with cap space would have much different financial allowances. A team needing scoring and a team loaded with scorers at other positions would weight skillsets differently.

I try to approach it as though I was building a team from scratch, starting today, rightly or wrongly. Unless there's a specific team rumored to be interested, then it's fun to put yourself in the position of their GM, which could turn the original ordering completely on its head.
    I agree with your list on the premise of starting from scratch, but I would think that the trade market for acquiring guys is more likely to be at the other end of the spectrum, teams in the 5-15 range (actually standings, not tankings). Teams are looking to fill a role and Afflalo seems to be the most versatile guy and likely the easiest to "plug and play". Barnes is a great talent, but he simply fills a singular role at this point.
    Whatever you do, do it the best you can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    I agree with your list on the premise of starting from scratch, but I would think that the trade market for acquiring guys is more likely to be at the other end of the spectrum, teams in the 5-15 range (actually standings, not tankings). Teams are looking to fill a role and Afflalo seems to be the most versatile guy and likely the easiest to "plug and play". Barnes is a great talent, but he simply fills a singular role at this point.
    I agree that a win-now team or a team looking for defense, would go with Afflalo first (assuming they could match salaries to pull it off). A team looking to win-now and be sustainable, could go for any of them except Turner. A team looking into the future would likely rule out Green and Afflalo.

Thread Information