Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 91

Thread: Sound Familiar?

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Oakville
    Posts
    3,585
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    I agree with this. further to this, you can make an argument that they were expecting that ball to get pounded into the paint, and I would bet JV was told to stay home on that inbound play and not get caught chasing, therefore leaving an easy two inside.
    I just don't see any argument that can be made here. There was one second left on the clock.. Kemba barely got the jumper off. How would they think someone like Jefferson could get a post move in?
    Twitter - @thekid_it

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You develop bad habits if you just left out there playing making the same mistakes. Which is what happens to Andrea under coach Triano. Andrea was unleashed and we went on to have the worst D in NBA HISTORY! When it comes to D I will never doubt Casey. I'm pretty sure we're a top15 Defensive team. After the way Patrick Patterson and AJ shut down Boozer the last game I don't blame Casey for to them over JV. Patrick is Stronger, Quicker, and has more experience. Amir is just Amir. There should never be a complaint about Amir playing more than JV. Never!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    I just don't see any argument that can be made here. There was one second left on the clock.. Kemba barely got the jumper off. How would they think someone like Jefferson could get a post move in?
    I dont know man, I have seen quite a few post dumps on last second plays...in fact, its pretty well known that you have to be wary of a bunny from 3 feet.

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    on no planet, including this one, is JV, deficiencies and all, a worse basketball player, in any way/shape/form, than patrick patterson. if what you're saying is true, and that the coach's primary motive is to win, then you accomplish that by having your best players on the floor as much as possible. and whether you're ready to accept it or not, JV is one of the team's best players already, despite his shortcomings. this league is about reps...you get better by playing, not sitting & watching & thinking. playing. PLAYING.

    i'm not going to speculate (too much) on the allocation of minutes. i assume it's partly to enforce a 'tough love' approach with JV, while also showcasing some of the newer guys in the hope that their respective trade value is increased. the tank-nation GI in me hopes that casey is either in on the tank, or that he's so incompetent, him trying to win games by coaching at his 'best' is just enough to pull off a nice little clandestine tank job.
    JV, is a more talented player, and I'm not denying that in any way, but he's constantly lost on the defensive end. Patterson might be smaller, less athletic, uglier, and a whole bunch of other things, but he knows the play, understands positioning and performs the role he is out there to to.

    My whole point is that Casey's priority is to try and win the game and not to give JV the minutes we all would prefer he have over other guys that likely won't be here in the teams future. In order to win you sometimes have to play the less talented player that knows what they are supposed to do in the scheme of the defense, as opposed to the more talented player that doesn't always have a clue. JV is being brought along slower than we like, but he's getting a good amount of minutes and it's a long season.

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    I just don't see any argument that can be made here. There was one second left on the clock.. Kemba barely got the jumper off. How would they think someone like Jefferson could get a post move in?
    Exactly! With 1.0 all you get is a shot. You could tell JV knew he was suppose to switch but he didn't react he thought about it and than reacted. By the time JV got in the picture the ball had already left Kemba's hands.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    , uglier,
    hahahaha this made me chuckle

  7. Like stooley liked this post
  8. #47
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Exactly! With 1.0 all you get is a shot. You could tell JV knew he was suppose to switch but he didn't react he thought about it and than reacted. By the time JV got in the picture the ball had already left Kemba's hands.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Really?

    hahaha ok. you should get court level one day to see it in real motion.... JV reacted just fine, Kemba walker is a lightning bolt.


    Guys, there is NOTHING to talk about here, nobody to blame really. No need for 4 page of JV analysis.

  9. #48
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    maybe...like I said, its a preference. there are different ways to guard plays..... my theory works with the no times aspect as well, as there isnt enough time to get a return to McRoberts and a good look, so you should be able to limit good entries with switches and an extra man if your big stays home....

    easy for us to say i guess.... nice play though, Kemba to be honest, just showed the Raptors how to rub off a scree correctly.

    good Basketball
    my first thought was why PP was up so tight on the inbounder, for the reasons you mentioned. i'm not sure who didn't think they were looking at kemba as their first, second & third option there, since there was no time for anything other than a catch & shoot, not really enough time for a dribble even. so, assuming it's going to walker, why not just have him doubled and play straight-up on everyone else? i get that it makes the inbound pass easier, but that's kind of the point...make the pass easy to ANYONE OTHER THAN WALKER, who you're doubling. keep it out of the paint, but force henderson to come out the perimeter to take the inbounds & force a contested long-range shot. i dunno, to me, the absolute last thing you want to allow is for kemba to get the pass in the first place.
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  10. Like Superjudge liked this post
  11. #49
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lighting bug going north south. All he did is elevate.

    I think Casey should of used Patterson to deny how ever came to the ball. Nobody else but, Kemba would of made that shot.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

  12. #50
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote yertu damkule wrote: View Post
    i dunno, to me, the absolute last thing you want to allow is for kemba to get the pass in the first place.
    Exactly. If you're playing numbers, which you have to as you cant assume complete shut down, you have to push guys to the lowest possible percentage (see Shane Battier Theorem). For my style, I ignore the inbounder and go balls out closing off everything I can in every lane and push guys to places they arent wanting to go. had Patterson dropped down and got in Kemba's way, a little bump even.... JV is there.

  13. #51
    Raptors Republic All-Star yertu damkule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    1,670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    JV, is a more talented player, and I'm not denying that in any way, but he's constantly lost on the defensive end. Patterson might be smaller, less athletic, uglier, and a whole bunch of other things, but he knows the play, understands positioning and performs the role he is out there to to.

    My whole point is that Casey's priority is to try and win the game and not to give JV the minutes we all would prefer he have over other guys that likely won't be here in the teams future. In order to win you sometimes have to play the less talented player that knows what they are supposed to do in the scheme of the defense, as opposed to the more talented player that doesn't always have a clue. JV is being brought along slower than we like, but he's getting a good amount of minutes and it's a long season.
    can you point to the sequence of events that led to JV's benching in the 3rd Q? y'know, when they were up 10+, and to which point jefferson had been kinda/sorta meh?

    in case you're wondering, patterson is a brutal defender. it's been a constant knock on him since he entered the league, and is why he's been given away numerous times since being drafted. but hey, EXPERIENCE!!! TRUTHINESS!!! cling to the mysticism!
    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

  14. #52
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Lighting bug going north south. All he did is elevate.

    I think Casey should of used Patterson to deny how ever came to the ball. Nobody else but, Kemba would of made that shot.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Y ahe's fast eh.... jesus. I really liked him coming out..... Good player and seems to be finding his NBA feet.

  15. #53
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Craig wrote: View Post
    Y ahe's fast eh.... jesus. I really liked him coming out..... Good player and seems to be finding his NBA feet.
    Yeah, really liked him when he was coming out. Still prefer JV over him though but Kemba can play.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

  16. #54
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd also like to add its nice to just be talking basket ball.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

  17. #55
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,400
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    You develop bad habits if you just left out there playing making the same mistakes. Which is what happens to Andrea under coach Triano. Andrea was unleashed and we went on to have the worst D in NBA HISTORY! When it comes to D I will never doubt Casey. I'm pretty sure we're a top15 Defensive team. After the way Patrick Patterson and AJ shut down Boozer the last game I don't blame Casey for to them over JV. Patrick is Stronger, Quicker, and has more experience. Amir is just Amir. There should never be a complaint about Amir playing more than JV. Never!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why is it so difficult for you to understand that JV and Bargnani are 2 different players? They don't share ANY of the same attributes in their games. Other than their skin colour they are 2 completely different players. Why do you keep going back to an argument that holds NO weight?

  18. #56
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I'd also like to add its nice to just be talking basket ball.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear ya. This is the conversation that comes from folks allowing other guys to have opinions, but having those other gusy actually have an opinion, and not just an argument or a veiled insult.

    Cheers to you brother!

  19. #57
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    Agree with everything in this post except the bolded. It's not Lowry's switch to call. It's JVs. JV has to communicate that screen and call the switch (which should be obvious with 1 second left). Either way, glad he was on the floor to experience that misstep. Will only make him better.
    Well it would be Jonas' job to call the screen. But for the switch, that's why I mention his inexperience, and also brought up, and I think a couple of others have mentioned, that for Casey to put Jonas in on Al, it must mean Casey gave him that assignment (probably out of fear Al would get a little chip shot if he could push his way near the rim). That's why I put it on Lowry. Jonas doesn't have the experience to realize that he has to switch off what's likely his given assignment. And while on a last-second play it should be/become instinct to make that switch, if that happens at any other time, Jonas is playing it right if he's waiting for Lowry to call the switch, which is most often the responsibility of the guy getting screened.

    As has been stated, if Jonas is going to be out there, it's weird he's not defending the in-bounds pass, where he has the most size/length to disturb it, and since he wasn't, it's strange having him out there at all. Not to mention it's the simplest assignment to give the most inexperienced guy as well.

    Sidenote: I have been thoroughly unimpressed by Lowry's D, and leadership on both ends since he came to this team. He is not any kind of floor general. He has poor body language, and there have been a few times when you see him getting into his teammates for mistakes that were clearly his. Guy is producing decently and not as fat/bad as last year, but I can't wait for him to be off this team.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Dec 20th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.

  20. #58
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He isnt bad, but youre right, he certainly isnt good.

  21. #59
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    LOL, oh man that was hilarious!! It's like you think the coaches priority is to sacrafice wins to get JV more experience. You and I and everyone else at the forum that doesn't care much for where this season is headed may want to see JV get minutes, but you must realize the coach has an agenda which includes winning first right?
    But we didn't win! That's the point! And I don't believe Casey's agenda is winning when he puts out defensive lineups of KL, DD, Salmons, 2Pat and JV to end the game. He is a tank commander, not a coach.
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

  22. #60
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    1,813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It makes no sense, how can anyone try to justify Casey's coaching in that game? It was absolutely horrible!
    "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No! I am the one who knocks!"

    - Walter White

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •