View Poll Results: Has Dwane Casey done a great job in Toronto?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Carlisle is BANG ON! (MattyD voice)

9 24.32%
  • Meh.

16 43.24%
  • No - Put the pipe down Rick!

12 32.43%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rick Carlisle: "(DC) done a great job with it. He's done a great job there.''

Hybrid View

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Rick Carlisle: "(DC) done a great job with it. He's done a great job there.''

DALLAS -- When Dwane Casey was last an assistant coach with the Dallas Mavericks, he was dubbed the team's defensive coordinator when they captured the 2011 NBA title.

Shortly after that, Casey became the new head coach of the Toronto Raptors. And now the Raptors are best known for being bulldogs on defense -- thanks in large part to Casey's valuable influence.

"He’s had a massive impact on their defense,'' coach Rick Carlisle said. "When he went there they were one of the worst defensive teams in the league, and they’ve made the greatest gains defensively over that period of time of any team in the league.

"It was a total culture change, a needed culture change. They’ve done it.''

And how in particular did the Raptors turn up the defensive juices? Through shrewd trades, crafty draft picks and several teachings from Casey, whose team is 10th in the NBA in fewest points allowed at 98.6 per game.

"Now they’ve got a roster of energetic, athletic, hard-playing, tough, young players,'' Carlisle said. "They’ve got a team similar to Memphis in that they really go after the ball, they rip at it, they’re slashers, they’re very fast and dynamic.

"He’s done a great job with it. He's done a great job there.''

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com...n-toronto.html
    What do you think?

Has Casey done a great job?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Year 1, yes.

Year 2 & 3, no.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey's done what he was brought in here to do. Carlisle is focusing on the defensive end, which is where DC's impact is really felt. I voted yes because of this.

I still think Casey is a terrible fit for where this team is though, and his offence and rotations are pretty awful.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Casey's done what he was brought in here to do. Carlisle is focusing on the defensive end, which is where DC's impact is really felt. I voted yes because of this.

I still think Casey is a terrible fit for where this team is though, and his offence and rotations are pretty awful.
    Bingo. Casey has improved our defence. It's his offence and bizarre substitutions that have people calling for his head. He's an excellent defensive assistant to lead the D but overall hasn't put it all together. It's the equivalent of saying a player is great because they can score points, even if they can't defend, rebound, pass or dribble.

So I'll abstain from voting. Carlisle's point is valid when talking about Defence but not for the full head coach duties.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey's done a decent job in year one and three if you're only looking at defense, but I'm pretty sure this was just Carlisle paying a close friend some lip service. "He's done a great job" is not how I would sum up Casey's overall body of work with the Raptors.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As has already been said, great improvement in first year then a drop off last year. Things have improved this season, so I selected "Meh!"

to some extent I think that this year's improvement could be attributable to personnel changes/health improvement/further development of Ross and JV. So Casey can't take full credit for this season.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He's done a great job on defense. We've moved up 20 spots on the defensive ranks since the Triano days, thanks mainly to Casey. I've said it before that this team isn't contending for anything right now, so Casey is the perfect fit imo, to instill good defensive fundamentals into the young players. When MU puts together a team that can actually be taken seriously then we worry about bringing in a coach that is better with x's and o's. Right now it makes no sense to replace Casey.

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Carlisle meant every word. If you're on one team and someone you know has gone to a rival team, what do you hope happens to that team? It's obvious -- you want them to lose.

So that covers Carlisle. As for me, if you asked me if I thought we'd have 9 wins after 23 games, I'd have said sure -- 40% winning percentage sounds about right. That's where we are so he's obviously done as well as could be expected. Especially when you consider the uncertainty around the locker room with the constant trade rumors.

Let's also not forget what happens when you lose games, season after season after season. It gets to players, it makes them frustrated and unhappy. Yet this team has held together just fine. They're still hard working and trying. Few coaches, even some of the greatest, would be able to weather 3 straight losing seasons like this and still have their players' ears.

I think Casey's doing a bang-up job.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey reminds me of Triano. Great on one side of the ball, but really bad on the other. Look at what Triano is doing for Lillard in Portland? Why can't the Raptors get an established head coach with great assistants? That's what they need.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    What do you think?

I wonder if these comments represent protecting a friend and colleague in the coaching fraternity?

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote psrs1 wrote: View Post
    I wonder if these comments represent protecting a friend and colleague in the coaching fraternity?
    No.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    What do you think?

Three straight losing seasons speak for themselves.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If the culture has changed it has been scrapped for another crappy one.

Raps were losers when Casey arrived.
    Raps are losers when he was here.
    Raps will still be losers when he leaves.

Not trying to sound harsh but it is the reality.
    Sure the defense is better.... but what does it matter in the grand scheme of things?
    Nothing.
    They are still heading to the lottery three years later.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What is he supposed to say? "My good friend and former colleague has shit the bed with poor rotations, lack of offensive plays, pathetic time-management and has been a failure at developing their young players"

Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Carlisle is right, and I also think Casey is doing well.

The team isnt there talent wise, young, learning. He is managing his rooks well, and he's likely tanking at the same time.

"He’s had a massive impact on their defense,'' coach Rick Carlisle said. "When he went there they were one of the worst defensive teams in the league, and they’ve made the greatest gains defensively over that period of time of any team in the league.
    You don't ignore any "firsts" in the NBA, and this is kinda a HUGE one.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey stay away from 2pg line ups have a set rotation for your and personal players comfort and run JV more. Thats it all issues solved, I personally think its been a meg job but if he did those things I listed he'd be great.

Post Thanks / Like

It's easy to forget how awful awful awful the defense was under Triano. Yes, Casey has had a massive impact on the defensive end, and that change is often lost sight of when he's slagged for other shortcomings.

BUT - for me, all the defensive improvement means absolutely nothing if you can't hold 2nd half leads. What's the point of a good defense that can't protect a lead and get you a W?

Casey would still be a fine assistant coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    It's easy to forget how awful awful awful the defense was under Triano. Yes, Casey has had a massive impact on the defensive end, and that change is often lost sight of when he's slagged for other shortcomings.

BUT - for me, all the defensive improvement means absolutely nothing if you can't hold 2nd half leads. What's the point of a good defense that can't protect a lead and get you a W?

Casey would still be a fine assistant coach.
    bingo. "awesome defensive coordinator" is his ceiling.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter peanutwoozle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

coming from the guy who also recommended us another dud in Kevin O'Neill.

Post Thanks / Like

cannon fodder

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information