View Poll Results: Has Dwane Casey done a great job in Toronto?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Carlisle is BANG ON! (MattyD voice)

9 24.32%
  • Meh.

16 43.24%
  • No - Put the pipe down Rick!

12 32.43%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rick Carlisle: "(DC) done a great job with it. He's done a great job there.''

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey has done a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

2. Like KeonClark liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

can we just make this the game thread? lol

4. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Carlisle was talking up Casey even before the Raptors hired him. He's not going to change his tune now.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

6. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    It's easy to forget how awful awful awful the defense was under Triano. Yes, Casey has had a massive impact on the defensive end, and that change is often lost sight of when he's slagged for other shortcomings.

BUT - for me, all the defensive improvement means absolutely nothing if you can't hold 2nd half leads. What's the point of a good defense that can't protect a lead and get you a W?

Casey would still be a fine assistant coach.
    bingo. "awesome defensive coordinator" is his ceiling.
    @jerboat

8. Like mountio liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey should not be a coach he's don't a great job on the defense but he's done a horrendous job on the rest

Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you can find maybe 7-8 guys with NBA coaching experience that might squeeze more out of this team than Casey has. But how much more -- we've won 40% of our games. I don't think this team is capable of winning, say, 60% of its games. So maybe you bring in a George Karl or a SVG or a Sloan and whoop-dee-doo we have 12 wins instead of 9. This is still a bad team that would get swept in the first round.

I've been saying this from the beginning when everyone said fire Casey. Why? There's no point. Come back to me when you see a roster that *should* contend, then we can talk about coaching.

Look at the Knicks or Brooklyn.. those are teams that you expected to be contenders and they're not. When the Raptors get to that level of talent/roster and we're 9-14, then we should talk about getting a new coach.
    your pal,
    ebrian

11. Like jimmie, S.R. liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

@Eric__Smith: Rick carlisle, #mavericks coach, on the #raptors: "they could easily be 4-1 since the trade. They play hard and have a lot of depth." #rtz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't have time to read the whole thread atm, but here's my thoughts

1) Carlisle is clearly referring to Casey's impact on defense, and in that sense I do think he's done a good job on that end. I also think his impact on defense goes beyond just slowing the game down aka Kevin O'neil. As of Monday NBA power rankings had us 21st in Pace and 12th in DefRtg, and 16th in OffRtg.

2) I also think that coaches play a very small role in getting results and that the burden is almost exclusively on the players. If you fired Casey and replaced him with anybody other than the top tier coaches (jackson/sloan etc) that we aren't going to attract anyway, would they make much of a difference? I'd say no.

I'm not a Casey supporter and I don't mind if he gets fired or not renewed this off season but he's not making huge impact one way or the other.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

14. Like p00ka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

whats he going to say? that hes a mediocre coach? come on

Raptors Republic All-Star JimiCliff's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Evia99 wrote: View Post
    whats he going to say? that hes a mediocre coach? come on
    @Eric__Smith: Rick carlisle, #mavericks coach, on the #raptors: "I've been watching some Raptors games lately for scouting, and honestly I can't believe my fucking eyes. Is there something in the water up here? He wasn't like this when he was an assistant here. Of course, we didn't let him talk very much. Regardless, I'm not even going to coach tonight - I'm going to let one of my assistants take over, give him the ropes and see what he can do. Don't tell anyone." #rtz

Post Thanks / Like

Rick Carlisle: "I haven't paid any attention to the Raptors (rightfully so) but I'll give my guy a good word".

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Carlisle was talking up Casey even before the Raptors hired him. He's not going to change his tune now.
    The story was. After the Mavs won the the championship 2 years ago. Carlisle called Colangelo about the Raps vacant coaching position and recommended Casey.

So you know Rick Carlisle is a Dwane Casey guy.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    The story was. After the Mavs won the the championship 2 years ago. Carlisle called Colangelo about the Raps vacant coaching position and recommended Casey.

So you know Rick Carlisle is a Dwane Casey guy.
    Maybe he wanted him off the staff because he kept pounding the rock in his office all day.
    Dwane Casey says: Pound the Gay!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Maybe he wanted him off the staff because he kept pounding the rock in his office all day.
    I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Dwane Casey was a big part of the Mavs Championship team.

Raptors Republic Starter KeonClark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Dwane Casey was a big part of the Mavs Championship team.
    Thanks for clearing that up because my post was dead serious
    Dwane Casey says: Pound the Gay!!

22. Like isaacthompson, Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would not consider myself a 'basketball mind'. No coaching experience, or high level playing experience.

That said, EVERY SINGLE GAME - I have a serious issue with decisions made by Coach Casey. Mainly rotations he chooses, and also X's and O's issues ... There's not a doubt in my mind he can get a lot out of a group of guys on the floor, and demand and teach a strong defensive effort.

Did he plateau as a great lead assistant, with a focus on the defensive end? I think so.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

24. Like mountio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up because my post was dead serious
    Your welcome.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

His defensive schemes were great. As a head coach he has failed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I think you can find maybe 7-8 guys with NBA coaching experience that might squeeze more out of this team than Casey has. But how much more -- we've won 40% of our games. I don't think this team is capable of winning, say, 60% of its games. So maybe you bring in a George Karl or a SVG or a Sloan and whoop-dee-doo we have 12 wins instead of 9. This is still a bad team that would get swept in the first round.

I've been saying this from the beginning when everyone said fire Casey. Why? There's no point. Come back to me when you see a roster that *should* contend, then we can talk about coaching.

Look at the Knicks or Brooklyn.. those are teams that you expected to be contenders and they're not. When the Raptors get to that level of talent/roster and we're 9-14, then we should talk about getting a new coach.
    12-11 would be pretty good right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    can we just make this the game thread? lol
    Suggest ask CalgaryRaps fan or Joey Hesketh....

Thread Information