Thread: JV mentor and pick!

Raptors Republic Starter charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default JV mentor and pick!

We need to get a true backup center and it would be nice to get another draft pick. 2 separate deals (since Salmons can't be traded with others):

1: Salmons for Perkins
    2: Hansbrough for TE & draft pick

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure OKC would give up a pick for pure salary drop.

By the way, there's a very similar idea discussed a few threads down. http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...618-Tor-okc-gs

Raptors Republic Starter charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm just not sure that would only be pure salary drop. OKC would certainly use some scoring punch off the bench and I'm sure Salmons can still give them some. Hansbrough would be more effective for that team than Perkins right now.

Then for the Raps, if gives all PF playing time to Amir and Patterson, a true center, veteran and winning mentality at the backup C, giving JV a true mentor. It also gives T-Ross and other possible SG options even more playing time with Salmons gone.

I think this trade helps our team now and also in the future.

BobLoblaw I agree with you that maybe OKC would not give us a 1st round pick but I'd do it even if it's a second round pick or even with no pick coming back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    We need to get a true backup center and it would be nice to get another draft pick. 2 separate deals (since Salmons can't be traded with others):

Toronto could even give OKC their own 2014 2nd round pick back, essentially meaning that OKC is just dropping 30 spots in the draft, rather than giving up a pick altogether.

I think it's a good long-term type trade, but only if winning this season or next aren't priorities (ie: giving up two best players in the trade and taking on $9.4M next season).

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Lets not jump the gun with Salmons because of a decent game. He is one of the worst players in the NBA. The Raptors aren't sending two best players in that deal, and OKC will not look at Salmons hoping for a scoring punch.

As for Hansbrough, he's not a direct replacement to Perkins. Perkins' minutes would go to Ibaka and Steve Adams. Hansbrough would battle for PF minutes with Ibaka and Collison. And he won't necessarily win that battle. So for OKC this deal would be about gaining financial flexibility, not basketball.

So now the question is do they want that flexibility / ability to add a midlevel player next year enough to give up a 1st round pick? I don't know the answer to that.

PS: no way I'd do this deal for the Raptors if there's no 1st round pick involved.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote charlesnba23 wrote: View Post

lol I don't think I really want Perkins as a mentor for JV...

Post Thanks / Like

I love the idea of Perkins mentoring JV.

The two of them running through a field of flowers, scowling.

Thread Information