Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some cautious media love from ESPN

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Some cautious media love from ESPN

Saw it with my own eyes Friday night.

Watched the scrappy Toronto Raptors erase a 19-point deficit in Dallas, come all the way back to beat a Western Conference team with a gaudy home record, then had to listen to a defiant Raptors staffer issue a challenge outside the visitors locker room.

"You go in there," said the Raptor in question, "and tell those guys they should be tanking."

Good luck.

They're not listening to me or you or anyone else who wants to talk about Andrew Wiggins.

The Raptors, post-Rudy Gay, are a together (and stubborn) bunch. They know all of us NBA jokesters on Twitter assumed that the exile of Gay to the Sacramento Kings earlier this month, on the heels of Toronto's summer shedding of Andrea Bargnani, was a move made to clinch a top-five slot in the lottery. So they've thoroughly enjoyed winning four in a row on the road, highlighted by the Rudy-less Raps' stunning victory Sunday night in Oklahoma City after the Thunder started the season 13-0 at home.

Or as DeMar DeRozan defiantly put it Friday night when we spoke after the big comeback in Dallas: "We ain't out of nothin'."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/p...-atlantic-mire

2. Like lilmamba_ liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it interesting that these guys thought shedding Andrea Bargnani was a move to help the team tank.

This is exactly what makes me question how much about this game members of the media really know.

Raptors Republic Starter connected's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am on the tank train but there's almost more satisfaction a Raptors win, as if they are defying everybody by pulling out a W.

It's feels like a classic underdog story every game they play.

Sure it may screw us down the road but right now I'm lovin it.

5. Like MixxAOR, Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar lilmamba_'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't lie ESPN love feels nice
    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not that it matters but Bill Simmons is probably hating this streak anyway so there you go. He'll find a way to blame the team for sneaking in as the 8th seed. And will have nothing to show for after round 1.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

8. Like lilmamba_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    Not that it matters but Bill Simmons is probably hating this streak anyway so there you go. He'll find a way to blame the team for sneaking in as the 8th seed. And will have nothing to show for after round 1.
    What?

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    What?
    We're preemptively hating Bill Simmons now.

11. Like S.R. liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's so good to see that our team is winning and getting some love. Last two games were... best that I saw in the last couple years, I guess.. ( last year nominations - Indiana game, Demar game winner and maybe utah triple ot ) but deep in my heart I hope we still land top-5 pick.. I believe in Masai and Tim, they'll do what is needed to win!

Amir's last 5 games: 14.6 PTS, 10 REBS, 1.8 AST, 1.0 BLK, shooting 62%.
    Kyle: 16.2 PTS, 7.6 AST, 4.4 REB, 2 STL
    JV: 13.6 PTS, 9.8 REB, 1.6 BLK, FG 52%

13. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post
    I find it interesting that these guys thought shedding Andrea Bargnani was a move to help the team tank.

This is exactly what makes me question how much about this game members of the media really know.
    Exactly. All of those so-called 'smart thinkers' were going on for months about how Rudy Gay was the poster child for addition-by-subtraction, as evidenced by the analytics. Then, immediately after the trade, they call the Gay trade it a fire sale? It's like they completely forgot what they were writing for the past year.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Exactly. All of those so-called 'smart thinkers' were going on for months about how Rudy Gay was the poster child for addition-by-subtraction, as evidenced by the analytics. Then, immediately after the trade, they call the Gay trade it a fire sale? It's like they completely forgot what they were writing for the past year.
    I don't think the "fire sale" idea is tied to just the Rudy trade, but the Rudy trade combined with the countless rumours (some from very credible sources) that the entire team is up for grabs.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Craiger wrote: View Post

Well, from the outside perspective that Bargs was pegged to be the #1 scoring option a year ago, and then he was traded for expiring contracts and a 1st rounder, and Gay was the #1 scoring option this year and he was unloaded for financial flexibility - I'm not really surprised that those are interpreted as tanking/tear-down moves, are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    We're preemptively hating Bill Simmons now.
    Why not? He's pre-emptively hating on the Raps and anything Canadian.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill said we'd trade Gay before 2014 he was right.....

Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, he really hates on anything non Boston.

20. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bias alert: I'm a pretty big Simmons fan and his basketball tome sat on my bedside table for several months.

When I see Raps fans criticize him for comments re: the Raps, I think two things are happening:
    - Raps fans are hypersensitive to any criticism, especially from Americans. I haven't read anything from Simmons that we didn't deserve - this franchise has been one of the worst in the League since its inception. Them's just the facts.
    - Simmons' schtick is that he's a fan and not an analyst. As a fan, he's obviously pro-Boston. That's it. That's his schtick and that's what makes his work stand out. He plays it up for fun, though, and he gives props to other cities when it's due. He's complimented the city of Toronto, Raptors fans, and certain members of the franchise when deserved. Calling him a "hater" is a clear oversimplification and suggests that you haven't really read enough of his work to know what's going on. You kind of discredit yourself.

22. Like Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bias alert: I'm a pretty big Simmons fan and his basketball tome sat on my bedside table for several months.

When I see Raps fans criticize him for comments re: the Raps, I think two things are happening:
    - Raps fans are hypersensitive to any criticism, especially from Americans. I haven't read anything from Simmons that we didn't deserve - this franchise has been one of the worst in the League since its inception. Them's just the facts.
    - Simmons' schtick is that he's a fan and not an analyst. As a fan, he's obviously pro-Boston. That's it. That's his schtick and that's what makes his work stand out. He plays it up for fun, though, and he gives props to other cities when it's due. He's complimented the city of Toronto, Raptors fans, and certain members of the franchise when deserved. Calling him a "hater" is a clear oversimplification and suggests that you haven't really read enough of his work to know what's going on. You kind of discredit yourself.
    You are right my Lordship. I have discredited myself. All of us deserve his wrath.

"Calling him a "hater" is a clear oversimplification and suggests that you haven't really read enough of his work to know what's going on."

What else does he have in his head since it sounds like you've been inside of it a couple of times.... Bill.

24. Like S.R. liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Simmons has given the Raptors fans plenty of credit over the years as some of the most passionate and dedicated in the entire league. I think sometime he likes to stir the pot with us ('us' as in Raptors fans) because he knows he'll get flooded with emails and tweets where we call him an idiot, and he finds that stuff entertaining.

Any criticism that he hurls towards the franchise itself is unfortunately well deserved. I don't want to drag up all of the depressing statistics but we are basically the bottom of the barrel for teams over the last 20 years.
    Last edited by Fully; Mon Dec 23rd, 2013 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What else does he have in his head since it sounds like you've been inside of it a couple of times.... Bill.
    LOL - you're the one calling out his response using your mystical Bill-Simmons-future-forecasting-superpowers. Whatever leverage I have by accessing Bill's cranium, you've clearly superseded with your ability to time travel AND read minds.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL - you're the one calling out his response using your mystical Bill-Simmons-future-forecasting-superpowers. Whatever leverage I have by accessing Bill's cranium, you've clearly superseded with your ability to time travel AND read minds.

Bill, you're taking my post way too seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, you're taking my post way too seriously.
    I've never been less serious in all my life.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information