Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some cautious media love from ESPN

Saw it with my own eyes Friday night.

Watched the scrappy Toronto Raptors erase a 19-point deficit in Dallas, come all the way back to beat a Western Conference team with a gaudy home record, then had to listen to a defiant Raptors staffer issue a challenge outside the visitors locker room.

"You go in there," said the Raptor in question, "and tell those guys they should be tanking."

Good luck.

They're not listening to me or you or anyone else who wants to talk about Andrew Wiggins.

The Raptors, post-Rudy Gay, are a together (and stubborn) bunch. They know all of us NBA jokesters on Twitter assumed that the exile of Gay to the Sacramento Kings earlier this month, on the heels of Toronto's summer shedding of Andrea Bargnani, was a move made to clinch a top-five slot in the lottery. So they've thoroughly enjoyed winning four in a row on the road, highlighted by the Rudy-less Raps' stunning victory Sunday night in Oklahoma City after the Thunder started the season 13-0 at home.

Or as DeMar DeRozan defiantly put it Friday night when we spoke after the big comeback in Dallas: "We ain't out of nothin'."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/p...-atlantic-mire

I find it interesting that these guys thought shedding Andrea Bargnani was a move to help the team tank.

This is exactly what makes me question how much about this game members of the media really know.

Comment

I am on the tank train but there's almost more satisfaction a Raptors win, as if they are defying everybody by pulling out a W.

It's feels like a classic underdog story every game they play.

Sure it may screw us down the road but right now I'm lovin it.

Comment

Can't lie ESPN love feels nice
        What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
        The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
        No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Not that it matters but Bill Simmons is probably hating this streak anyway so there you go. He'll find a way to blame the team for sneaking in as the 8th seed. And will have nothing to show for after round 1.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            Not that it matters but Bill Simmons is probably hating this streak anyway so there you go. He'll find a way to blame the team for sneaking in as the 8th seed. And will have nothing to show for after round 1.
            What?
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
              What?
              We're preemptively hating Bill Simmons now.

Comment

It's so good to see that our team is winning and getting some love. Last two games were... best that I saw in the last couple years, I guess.. ( last year nominations - Indiana game, Demar game winner and maybe utah triple ot ) but deep in my heart I hope we still land top-5 pick.. I believe in Masai and Tim, they'll do what is needed to win!

Amir's last 5 games: 14.6 PTS, 10 REBS, 1.8 AST, 1.0 BLK, shooting 62%.
                Kyle: 16.2 PTS, 7.6 AST, 4.4 REB, 2 STL
                JV: 13.6 PTS, 9.8 REB, 1.6 BLK, FG 52%

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                  I find it interesting that these guys thought shedding Andrea Bargnani was a move to help the team tank.

This is exactly what makes me question how much about this game members of the media really know.
                  Exactly. All of those so-called 'smart thinkers' were going on for months about how Rudy Gay was the poster child for addition-by-subtraction, as evidenced by the analytics. Then, immediately after the trade, they call the Gay trade it a fire sale? It's like they completely forgot what they were writing for the past year.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    Exactly. All of those so-called 'smart thinkers' were going on for months about how Rudy Gay was the poster child for addition-by-subtraction, as evidenced by the analytics. Then, immediately after the trade, they call the Gay trade it a fire sale? It's like they completely forgot what they were writing for the past year.
                    I don't think the "fire sale" idea is tied to just the Rudy trade, but the Rudy trade combined with the countless rumours (some from very credible sources) that the entire team is up for grabs.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

Well, from the outside perspective that Bargs was pegged to be the #1 scoring option a year ago, and then he was traded for expiring contracts and a 1st rounder, and Gay was the #1 scoring option this year and he was unloaded for financial flexibility - I'm not really surprised that those are interpreted as tanking/tear-down moves, are you?

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                        We're preemptively hating Bill Simmons now.
                        Why not? He's pre-emptively hating on the Raps and anything Canadian.
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Bill said we'd trade Gay before 2014 he was right.....

Comment

Actually, he really hates on anything non Boston.

Comment

Bias alert: I'm a pretty big Simmons fan and his basketball tome sat on my bedside table for several months.

When I see Raps fans criticize him for comments re: the Raps, I think two things are happening:
                              - Raps fans are hypersensitive to any criticism, especially from Americans. I haven't read anything from Simmons that we didn't deserve - this franchise has been one of the worst in the League since its inception. Them's just the facts.
                              - Simmons' schtick is that he's a fan and not an analyst. As a fan, he's obviously pro-Boston. That's it. That's his schtick and that's what makes his work stand out. He plays it up for fun, though, and he gives props to other cities when it's due. He's complimented the city of Toronto, Raptors fans, and certain members of the franchise when deserved. Calling him a "hater" is a clear oversimplification and suggests that you haven't really read enough of his work to know what's going on. You kind of discredit yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X