"The Middle"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    These guys do it in the playoffs too. There's a big difference between winning Game 7 and hitting a shot against Orlando (an awful team to begin with).
    Umm derozan isn't a superstar.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
      Some of you are just clowns.

No mans land doesn't mean 2nd round, it doesn't mean 7-11 seed, it doesn't mean no top draft pick.

It means your team is in neither a contender nor a bottom feeder AND (this is the important part, pay attention) you have peaked/have no way of improving your team.
      Ujiri has already ENSURED that we will not be in no mans land because the second sentence is false. We have tons of cap flexibility moving forwards, all our draft picks and then some, and young players.
      If that's so, then just about no team in the league is in no mans land. Every team in the league could pull off a move or moves that would ensure that their team gets out of no man's land and improves the team in the near future. I don't want the Raptors to be what the Bucks and Pistons have been as of late, which is stuck between the 8-11 seeds and dishing out huge money to the first FA that is willing to come to town.

The best thing for the raps would be to start with a top 5-7 pick in the 2014 draft and build around that player, JV & Ross for years to come.

Comment

Umm derozan isn't a superstar.
        Exactly, that was my justification. People on the first page were trying to justify DeMar as a star talent. Even Casey has said it. But the bottom line is that he's not even close.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Jangles wrote: View Post
          If that's so, then just about no team in the league is in no mans land. Every team in the league could pull off a move or moves that would ensure that their team gets out of no man's land and improves the team in the near future. I don't want the Raptors to be what the Bucks and Pistons have been as of late, which is stuck between the 8-11 seeds and dishing out huge money to the first FA that is willing to come to town.

The best thing for the raps would be to start with a top 5-7 pick in the 2014 draft and build around that player, JV & Ross for years to come.
          Bingo. As long as you have flexibility and can exploit other desperate GMs, then yes, every team can get out of the so-called 'no man's land' within a few seasons. And many teams have done this repeatedly. The problem is that they make some bonehead moves (Dumars is a classic example) to nullify some great ones.

Comment

Some of you are just clowns.

No mans land doesn't mean 2nd round, it doesn't mean 7-11 seed, it doesn't mean no top draft pick.

It means your team is in neither a contender nor a bottom feeder AND (this is the important part, pay attention) you have peaked/have no way of improving your team.

Ujiri has already ENSURED that we will not be in no mans land because the second sentence is false. We have tons of cap flexibility moving forwards, all our draft picks and then some, and young players.
            Exactly. I think people have become overly emotionally damaged by the way BC ran things. He always made sure that he over-spent every available dollar and burned up every possible draft pick, every single year. MU is not BC, folks. And we are not MU, so chill out and enjoy the ride. 2014 draft is not the be all, end all.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
              Exactly, that was my justification. People on the first page were trying to justify DeMar as a star talent. Even Casey has said it. But the bottom line is that he's not even close.
              Demar at best is a 3rd or maybe a 2nd option on a contender
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

The tough part about "the middle" is that it's hard to identify, except for in hindsight. Every team is convinced they've got some path to becoming better than they currently are, but time proves those 1 or 2 developments to get over the hump are actually really hard to come by.

That said, overpaying non franchise talent is a surefire way to handcuff yourself. Think what the Pistons paid out the last time they had cap space, or Joe Johnson getting $25 million. Gotta at least be like Daryl Morey if you want to move forward with sub-superstar talent - maintain enough flexibility to acquire one through trade, FA, or by acquiring other teams' first rounders. I.e. don't be Colangelo.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Aren't the Denver nuggets in "no mans land"?

Comment

Pele wrote: View Post
                    Right now, yeah maybe. I think Ujiri left before completing his re-shaping of that team, which led to a bit of a domino effect IMO.

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                      Demar at best is a 3rd or maybe a 2nd option on a contender
                      No fucking shit, that's why he's paid 9m and not on a max deal.

Comment

Pele wrote: View Post
                        The nuggets currently have a top 5 pick in this draft courtesy of the Knicks, and already have a playoff team.

That's a pretty damn good situation if you ask me.

Comment

Denver has also had about the most tumultuous last 5 years possible.
                          The Melo saga.
                          The rebuild that wasn't a rebuild.
                          Good drafting, coach of the year, executive of the year.

...And then the bottom falling right out.
                          That's the key.
                          Something went sour in that organization - didn't have to.

Denver may be in no man's land now (debatable), but they easily could be a contender if their offseason had gone a different way.

Comment

Shrub wrote: View Post
                            Denver has also had about the most tumultuous last 5 years possible.
                            The Melo saga.
                            The rebuild that wasn't a rebuild.
                            Good drafting, coach of the year, executive of the year.

...And then the bottom falling right out.
                            That's the key.
                            Something went sour in that organization - didn't have to.

Denver may be in no man's land now (debatable), but they easily could be a contender if their offseason had gone a different way.
                            Rich boy owner wants to play GM.

Comment

The nuggets currently have a top 5 pick in this draft courtesy of the Knicks, and already have a playoff team.

That's a pretty damn good situation if you ask me.
                              I think the wheels are falking off in Denver. Ujiri and Karl had a vision for making some unique pieces fit together by playing a certain way. That vision/leadership is gone, and now they're waiting for JaVale McGee to find his game and for Galinari to come back from injury aka they're screwed in a really tough conference. Losing Iggy didn't help - he was also a great fit.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                                I think the wheels are falking off in Denver. Ujiri and Karl had a vision for making some unique pieces fit together by playing a certain way. That vision/leadership is gone, and now they're waiting for JaVale McGee to find his game and for Galinari to come back from injury aka they're screwed in a really tough conference. Losing Iggy didn't help - he was also a great fit.
                                I agree, Kroenke ruined it by firing everyone.

Had Ujiri still been in Denver, I think you're looking at a potentially lethal Denver team in 2014-15, with one of the top 6 prospects likely headed there to team up with Lawson/Gallo/Iggy (who Masai would've been sure to re-sign)/McGee and company.

Lawson/Iggy/Gallinari/Randle/McGee

with guys like Miller/Nate/Fournier/Faried/etc off the bench is a filthy team.
                                Last edited by Masai Ujiri; Wed Dec 25, 2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X