Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Jonas Valanciunas's Ceiling...?

Post Thanks / Like

This past season only 19 players averaged 20 points per game or more, for all you out there saying Jonas can get 20 and 10 may want to really look at what it take to accomplish that.

With the Raptors as they stand right now, Jonas will never be a #1 scoring option so very hard to put up 20 every game as a 2nd to 4th option. if he can do 17 and 11 it would be huge. He has a solid foundation that would allow him to get there, adding a counter post move to what he has already as well as finding confidence in shooting the 15-17 footer when open would get him there. I think we will see after this summer if he has what it take to continue to develop as a player, so far he has shown good signs.

2. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    This past season only 19 players averaged 20 points per game or more, for all you out there saying Jonas can get 20 and 10 may want to really look at what it take to accomplish that.

With the Raptors as they stand right now, Jonas will never be a #1 scoring option so very hard to put up 20 every game as a 2nd to 4th option. if he can do 17 and 11 it would be huge. He has a solid foundation that would allow him to get there, adding a counter post move to what he has already as well as finding confidence in shooting the 15-17 footer when open would get him there. I think we will see after this summer if he has what it take to continue to develop as a player, so far he has shown good signs.
    I think 20/10 is a reasonable expectation, but not for next season. 17/11 next season would be incredible.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post

Only 5 averaged 20 and 10.

I see him being a 18 point guy and 10+ rebounds.

The key for him is not going to be his number of points but how efficiently he does it.

If he can put up 18 points on just 12 shots, that would be fantastic. Based on his activity off the ball and his ability to hit FTs, hopefully that is not an unrealistic expectation.

Important to remember kid just turned 22. I don't wish to place limitations on him. He could be scary at in another 3 years.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

5. Like Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Only 5 averaged 20 and 10.

I see him being a 18 point guy and 10+ rebounds.

The key for him is not going to be his number of points but how efficiently he does it.

If he can put up 18 points on just 12 shots, that would be fantastic. Based on his activity off the ball and his ability to hit FTs, hopefully that is not an unrealistic expectation.

Important to remember kid just turned 22. I don't wish to place limitations on him. He could be scary at in another 3 years.
    Exactly. It doesn't really matter how many PPG Valanciunas gets. The key is being a consistent and efficient offensive option. If he doesn't get the PPG because the opposing team is working hard to take him away, I'm fine with that.

He has to improve consistency, he has to curb the turnovers, and he has to improve his defense. But it was exciting to see flashes of what Valanciunas could be this season. That Game 1 against the Nets was so encouraging.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as he is an efficient scorer and gets over 10 rebs a game I will be so happy.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Puffer;338631]
    Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    For a centre to be a 20-10 guy may not be a good thing in todays NBA. The league is speeding up, not slowing down. JV scoring 20 pts. a game in the low post could very well mean we have a slower pace than the opposing teams..../QUOTE]

If it comes from transitions, getting up and down quickly, through pick and rolls and through recognition of when he is open, their pace might actually speed up.
    Absolutely, but to average 20 pts over a season it's rare to see that happen unless plays are run for a player. As WJF pointed out, only 19 players averaged 20 pts or more last season. For JV to be in that group quite a few plays have to be run strictly for him.

Post Thanks / Like

hopefully his ceiling is over 7ft tall

10. Like Joey, consmap liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    hopefully his ceiling is over 7ft tall

Never change, thead.... never.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

12. Like Joey liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on his play off performance ( Turn Overs and disappearing from the game) , his ceiling is Gortat right now But who knows, maybe he will come in next season and will dominate against big guys in the league ...

Raptors Republic All-Star OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Disappearing in games is more from playing with DD, who never passes him the ball. EVER.

Even Brooklyn commentators said as such - "The only thing that can stop JV is the Raptors" I believe was the quote

15. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Disappearing in games is more from playing with DD, who never passes him the ball. EVER.

Even Brooklyn commentators said as such - "The only thing that can stop JV is the Raptors" I believe was the quote
    And the honorable Hubie Brown himself said something like "Jonas can't pass himself the ball"

Jonas had a pretty solid playoff. The foul trouble was...unfortunate, but more a product of bullshit whistles. And the turnovers are the only real concern, but that's something you hope gets better as he polishes his post game.

17. Like OldSkoolCool, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to put JV's ceiling around where Yao's was, which is 20+ and 10+. You could argue Yao's best season was either his 4th, 5th, or 6th, so even next year is too early for JV's ceiling to be reached.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    And the honorable Hubie Brown himself said something like "Jonas can't pass himself the ball"

Jonas had a pretty solid playoff. The foul trouble was...unfortunate, but more a product of bullshit whistles. And the turnovers are the only real concern, but that's something you hope gets better as he polishes his post game.
    I imagine whenever Jonas grows a huge grizzled beard he will start dominating. I couldn't grow a truly good beard until age 25, so that's what I'm looking for from JV.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post

Absolutely, but to average 20 pts over a season it's rare to see that happen unless plays are run for a player. As WJF pointed out, only 19 players averaged 20 pts or more last season. For JV to be in that group quite a few plays have to be run strictly for him.
    agreed, but if JV was money from the post and able to keep hold of the ball he is getting fed like randolf.

Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    Based on his play off performance ( Turn Overs and disappearing from the game) , his ceiling is Gortat right now But who knows, maybe he will come in next season and will dominate against big guys in the league ...
    silly, how does a ceiling lower by learning? today at school i learnt how to spell "embryo" so i am a worse speller than i was before? JV improved in the playoffs. you don't think he is practicing holding onto that ball and bullying his way in for 2 and 1?

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post

agreed. the turnovers kept him from having plays run through him.

"Mediumcore wrote:
    For a centre to be a 20-10 guy may not be a good thing in todays NBA. The league is speeding up, not slowing down. JV scoring 20 pts. a game in the low post could very well mean we have a slower pace than the opposing teams..../QUOTE]

If it comes from transitions, getting up and down quickly, through pick and rolls and through recognition of when he is open, their pace might actually speed up."

sorry for the bad medium quote, but i think the reason for this is because there aren't many great post players right now. Teams with dominating post players (grizz, detroit(before smith), pau a few back, and even lebron to an extent) drop the ball in the post at the start of most half court sets. and in the playoffs the half court sets are what win, along with defense.
    For The Win

Raptors Republic Starter Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Val's ceiling is a multiple-year all-star like Pau, in my opinion.

But I think he's not going to get there with the team currently as constructed. I have zero hope of him getting the necessary reps under Casey.

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

24 13 guy. Kinda going on a limb here, big bold guess. If he can hit that 15 footer without hesitation and refine his post skills alittle more. How do you guard him
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    Val's ceiling is a multiple-year all-star like Pau, in my opinion.

But I think he's not going to get there with the team currently as constructed. I have zero hope of him getting the necessary reps under Casey.
    One expert at ESPN, I believe it was Franschilla, when Valanciunas was drafted, stated that his ceiling could be that of Gasol. I would be ecstatic if JV developed into that.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Never change, thead.... never.
    Was thinking the saaame thing.

Loving the Peanuts references btw! Haha
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

If JV can get a half decent jumpshot he'll be unstoppable.

They either respect him and he beats them, or they sag and he drains it.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

26. Like Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    I'll probably get a warning or some stupid crap for this.

But...do you use your brain before typing sometimes?

JV's ceiling is Gortat? You've got to be kidding me. Even a pure JV Hater, or Raptors Hater, would acknowledge that JV's ceiling is higher than Gortat.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information