Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Ujiri possibly be buy our way into the draft rather than tanking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nosike wrote: View Post
    Don't ever call me a douchebag. Stop resorting to name calling when you lose an argument
    Oooo oki sorry you want a medal for your achievement?. Don't make it seem like you argued to pass the bill in the parliament. Sign off boy.... Btw you did correct my mistake thanks for that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ball4life; Fri Dec 27, 2013, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Shrub wrote: View Post
      Why does this idea strike anybody as a revelation?

The tunnel vision around here is stunning.

Masai was the executive of the year.

This is, and has always been a possibility.
      And not near the first time it's been raised here. I raised it at least a month ago, possibly 2 months ago.

People can guess all they want about what assets it would take, and argue the disadvantages of their guesses, but it's all just guessing. Who would have guessed MU would get what he got for Bargnani? Who would have guessed that he would be able to unload Gay for what he got?

Is this scenario what will happen? None of us has a clue, but it's certainly a possibility, and fits perfectly well with the "establish financial flexibility, collect assets and use them to upgrade to that 'superstar'" everyone pines for. Assuming what kind of deal it would take is assuming one has a clue of the ton of knowledge that MU has about talks with GMs, how they value the Raps' current assets, etc., to say nothing of how this draft board is going to look in a few months.

Comment

what toronto needs..... is for local boy Wiggans to start making Lindros like noise for Toronto. Other teams need to know he is gonna be a headache wanting to play for toronto.

That will help his cause if he truly wishes to be in t-dot

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          I'm sure MU is considering all his options. Salmons seems to be the perfect asset to trade for a draft pick. He's only guaranteed for $1M next season so if MU wants to take on salary for picks he would be a good guy to move for a cap starved team.
          this is the best thing i have heard all year. i thought salmons' contract made him immovable.

Comment

I think buying into the late lottery and even mid to late first round could be done. I think anyone with pick 1 - 10 isn't selling unless you bend over backwards and frontwards to get it done
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

In my opinion no. It is less likely to get high talent draft picks in trades, because GM's will be reluctant to give up on the potential of the players in the draft. I think it's a foolish endeavor to rely on trades for draft picks as the sole means to increase the talent of this team, however I wouldn't mind trading for late round draft picks to supplement our crown jewel (aka franchise player) that we get with our draft pick (through tanking)

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                what toronto needs..... is for local boy Wiggans to start making Lindros like noise for Toronto. Other teams need to know he is gonna be a headache wanting to play for toronto.

That will help his cause if he truly wishes to be in t-dot
                You mean, the way Kobe did back in 95? He pretty much strong armed his way to the Lakers.

Comment

Quote ball4life wrote: View Post
                  The talent in that draft last year was brutal.. dont compare that draft to this upcomming one... i wont think anyone in the 2013 draft will crack the top 5 in 2014.. may be not even top 8

there is a difference between 100 USD and 100 CND
                  Terrible analogy. The current exchange rate is 0.94
                  LMAO, I was thinking the same thing when I read this.. should just see yourself out after an ignorant comment like that o.O

Comment

Guess no tanking?

"@MySportsLegion: Report: Cavs, Nets, Lakers, Grizzlies and Raptors all interested in trading for Luol Deng."

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

JR smith is a raptor killer.

Comment

I going to agree with Matt here. If we are going for a top pick this upcoming draft, we need to do it with our own pick. Trading our top guys plus an assortment of picks for a higher pick is just way to risky IMO. Like Nosike said, it would probably take JV and multiple picks, and for me that is just throwing away too much of our future for one guy, that regardless of how good he looks now, is still an unknown NBA player.

It would seem much wiser to trade our other non-JV assets this season for more picks and prospects, sink in the standings now and draft the top player with whatever pick we land with, then use those assets we have accumulated to start the actual rebuild around JV and whoever we draft.

I don't think I can support a decision that leverages too much of our immediate future on one high pick. By tanking, you still have the assets you have accumulated to fall back on if that pick you tanked for doesn't turn out to be franchise altering.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                          I going to agree with Matt here. If we are going for a top pick this upcoming draft, we need to do it with our own pick. Trading our top guys plus an assortment of picks for a higher pick is just way to risky IMO. Like Nosike said, it would probably take JV and multiple picks, and for me that is just throwing away too much of our future for one guy, that regardless of how good he looks now, is still an unknown NBA player.

It would seem much wiser to trade our other non-JV assets this season for more picks and prospects, sink in the standings now and draft the top player with whatever pick we land with, then use those assets we have accumulated to start the actual rebuild around JV and whoever we draft.

I don't think I can support a decision that leverages too much of our immediate future on one high pick. By tanking, you still have the assets you have accumulated to fall back on if that pick you tanked for doesn't turn out to be franchise altering.
                          Yes and no. You still have those assets, but their value is drastically lowered. Just look at how people are saying that DD, Amir and Lowry's value are at an all-time high, pumped up by something as simple as this so-called 'fools gold' stretch of good play. Even Ross' is rising, when it looked like he was regressing.

So, please don't forget that tanking = losing. And losing badly, which means players playing badly. Yes, those same assets, but at pennies on the dollar. Trades are screwed.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                            Yes and no. You still have those assets, but their value is drastically lowered. Just look at how people are saying that DD, Amir and Lowry's value are at an all-time high, pumped up by something as simple as this so-called 'fools gold' stretch of good play. Even Ross' is rising, when it looked like he was regressing.

So, please don't forget that tanking = losing. And losing badly, which means players playing badly. Yes, those same assets, but at pennies on the dollar. Trades are screwed.
                            a players worth isn't wholly determined by whether the team is winning or losing. you think carmelo would get a lot less money because the knicks are shit right now? you also posted that article about the suns...gortat and scola were clearly on a losing team and yet got great returns in picks.

Comment

Nobody in their right mind is going to be a seller in this draft if they have pick from 1-10.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

This doesn't make sense. I'm assuming here that to tank, you cash in on Amir, DD and Lowry. What you get back will be young prospects, picks, and expirings. This is setting up the team to lose. you improve your draft position, but if that player you draft isn't a franchise altering talent, you still have the flexibility created and the other picks/prospects/expirings to fall back on. If you are suggesting that those other assets will be worth little because the team is losing well, that just doesn't make sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X