No announcement yet.

kyle lowry need to remain a raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally wouldn't want Lowry on the roster next season.. but given that it's a potential option for him to come back, I wonder how he'd feel to a David West type of contract. 2 years / $20M.

I don't think MU likes long term deals, or at least doesn't want that type of commitment until he knows if a player is worth being part of a core. Lowry I'm sure is looking for a long term deal, but I'm not sure how many other teams who need a PG would be willing to shell out a 4 year contract worth over $8M per.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      I personally wouldn't want Lowry on the roster next season.. but given that it's a potential option for him to come back, I wonder how he'd feel to a David West type of contract. 2 years / $20M.

I don't think MU likes long term deals, or at least doesn't want that type of commitment until he knows if a player is worth being part of a core. Lowry I'm sure is looking for a long term deal, but I'm not sure how many other teams who need a PG would be willing to shell out a 4 year contract worth over $8M per.
      This is the same MU that dished out a fat one to Nené right?
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
        This is the same MU that dished out a fat one to Nené right?
        I was referring to his short time with Toronto. All the free agents he signed and/or traded for had short term deals (minus Novak but that was the price to pay to unload Bargnani).

Comment

I'd be perfectly happy with 2 years, $20 million. He'd be in his prime for the duration of the contract, and hopefully plays close to the same level as he is now.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Your second paragraph isn't right. I think ujiri will commit money to a player as long as he views them as a valuable asset regardless of whether he plans on keeping them. Look at nene for example.

Btw signing Lowry for 8m per wouldn't cripple us like some are suggesting. We'd have The following on the books long term:

Derozan: 9.5m
            Lowry: 8m
            Amir: 7m
            Val: 4m
            Ross: 3m
            2014/15 picks: 5m
            Total: 36.5

Which leaves us plenty of room for a max deal player and another solid player which is 9 rotation players on the books. Obviously there are some other numbers to take into account, but most or the other guys on the team aren't long-term guys that we need to keep.

I'm actually not a huge fan of keeping Lowry beyond this season though, but if we were to its not the end of the world.

Comment

I was referring to his short time with Toronto. All the free agents he signed and/or traded for had short term deals (minus Novak but that was the price to pay to unload Bargnani).
              We also had no money to spend and no key players that needed new deals.

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
                Your second paragraph isn't right. I think ujiri will commit money to a player as long as he views them as a valuable asset regardless of whether he plans on keeping them. Look at nene for example.
                I was just again using his short time in Toronto as my justification as to why he wouldn't want a long term salary. Yes Nene got a long term salary and was traded. Lowry could as well.. but if MU wants to keep Lowry and not move him then I'd prefer a short term deal (and I'm curious as to if MU would as well and if Lowry would agree to it).

Comment

So lowry.

does he want to be in toronto?
                  will you sign lowry, and get the lowry from last year, or the one working to earn a fat cheque this year?

only two questions that are even remotely relevant. One we can't know. The other, nobody can know.

Comment

We also had no money to spend and no key players that needed new deals.
                    Tyler could have had a longer term deal.. same with Daye, or Augustin. He didn't have to take the players he did for Gay. Yes he's never had to resign his own players but has his m.o changed since he's gotten to Toronto? Is he okay to give out a long term deal for a guy like Lowry?

All this is speculation because no one has knows what is going on in MU's head. I'm just theorizing that he'd probably continue to prefer short term deals until he finds the right players. In my opinion Lowry fits with that agenda. If he's still on the team and is given a 4 year contract well then I'll be proven wrong. But his situation now with Toronto is not the same situation he had with Denver.

Nene and Lowry are not the same guys. Nene is a big and there was a market/demand for him. Lowry maybe not so much.

Comment

I was just again using his short time in Toronto as my justification as to why he wouldn't want a long term salary. Yes Nene got a long term salary and was traded. Lowry could as well.. but if MU wants to keep Lowry and not move him then I'd prefer a short term deal (and I'm curious as to if MU would as well and if Lowry would agree to it).
                      i dont think theres any way lowry would accept a short term deal at this point unless somehow no one else in the league wants/can afford him.

Comment

Y

Btw signing Lowry for 8m per wouldn't cripple us like some are suggesting. We'd have The following on the books long term:

Derozan: 9.5m
                        Lowry: 8m
                        Amir: 7m
                        Val: 4m
                        Ross: 3m
                        2014/15 picks: 5m
                        Total: 36.5

Which leaves us plenty of room for a max deal player and another solid player which is 9 rotation players on the books. Obviously there are some other numbers to take into account, but most or the other guys on the team aren't long-term guys that we need to keep.

I'm actually not a huge fan of keeping Lowry beyond this season though, but if we were to its not the end of the world.
                        Add to that number 6.25 for Fields and Hayes 4 million and 1 million for waiving Salmon which makes us to be around 48 million with 8 players. What is the projected Cap ?
                        Last edited by Jamshid; Mon Dec 30, 2013, 02:09 PM.

Comment

The question now is: If Lowry gets his extension, how much will Amir get? I couldn't pay more than 8 million per for Lowry. I love his heart and tenacity, but you have to wonder how long this streak will last and if he's just playing like this right now because it is indeed a contract season? But make no mistake, if Lowry isn't interested in a contract extension, or the price isn't right, Ujiri won't stand around and will ship him off, playoff run or not. Lowry and Novak would look mighty tasty to a team making a real push for the playoffs.

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                            Add to that number 6.25 for Fields and Hayes 4 million and 1 million for waiving Salmon which makes us to be around 48 million with 8 players. What is the projected Cap ?
                            I'm sure he meant long term and players that fit in long term, Fields' contract ends after next season. They're on the hook for about 59 million for 11 players next season (not including the 1st round pick for next season and assuming they buy out Salmons for $1 million, and the Marcus Camby contract)

Comment

8m per for a below average starter. Um no thanks.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                                The question now is: If Lowry gets his extension, how much will Amir get? I couldn't pay more than 8 million per for Lowry. I love his heart and tenacity, but you have to wonder how long this streak will last and if he's just playing like this right now because it is indeed a contract season? But make no mistake, if Lowry isn't interested in a contract extension, or the price isn't right, Ujiri won't stand around and will ship him off, playoff run or not. Lowry and Novak would look mighty tasty to a team making a real push for the playoffs.
                                Amir question is a great question ... Will he happy with 8 million as well !!

Comment

Working...
                                X