Toronto Raptors Reportedly Considering New Black-and-Gold Color Scheme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRex wrote: View Post
    I'm not totally against Black and Gold. But Just imagining it and the Saints jerseys, not a big fan. We'll see.

I like Red and White. They're Canada's team, it make sense. Not a fan of the current design/colour schemes though.

Drake and Raps need to look at the Indiana Hoosiers jerseys. Would love to see them use that design/colours. Just change the font to 'Raptors' font.
    But they're really not. They have some national appeal as the only pro team in Canada, but they are really just Toronto's team. It can't be forgotten that lots of people in most other cities/provinces hate Toronto the city. HATE IT.

I'm sure there are Raps fans in Vancouver, but there are also surely fans of the Sonics (waiting for a return) and Blazers. In Windsor, a shortish drive from Toronto, I'm sure there are tons of Pistons fans. In Montreal, you're probably also going to find Celtics or Knicks fans. There may be fans in random cities with no proximity to other NBA towns who will choose popular or successful teams to cheer for, like the Lakers, Mavs, Heat, Spurs, Thunder, etc...rather than cheer for a team from the city they can't stand, and who hasn't given them much reason to cheer for them from a basketball standpoint.

Are their Raps fans all over Canada? Yes. Are they Canada's team? No, not really. It was just a marketing ploy to go with the re-branding away from the purple.

**I think the Hoosiers jersey is already pretty close to the Rockets. Not exactly alike, but close enough that if the Raps go with something similar it'll be hard to make it look unique. Don't think the Raptors make that choice.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Dec 30, 2013, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I think black is a good starting point, especially for rebranding/image-changing purposes. It's a very aggressive colour. Actually, no colour is more aggressive/intimidating than black.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a black/silver/grey combination.....like the Spurs (but not as boring).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I think black is a good starting point, especially for rebranding/image-changing purposes. It's a very aggressive colour. Actually, no colour is more aggressive/intimidating than black.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a black/silver/grey combination.....like the Spurs (but not as boring).
        Think they'll avoid that combo exactly because of the Spurs. They'll need to find something that's still different enough from other NBA teams. Black and gold (or some kind of yellow) is not a bad start.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Think they'll avoid that combo exactly because of the Spurs. They'll need to find something that's still different enough from other NBA teams. Black and gold (or some kind of yellow) is not a bad start.
          Hope that's not the case. Black/silver would be so different from what Raptor fans are used to, that the desired effect would still be reached.

Plus, who better to emulate (symbolically, that is) than the greatest pro sports franchise in the last 20 years?

And lastly, how often do we hear people say that the Pistons and Clippers too closely resemble each other?

Comment

I think the Raps going to the black and gold format is marketing genius, especially in time for the ASG. You look at what's making the trend these days - Heat, Bulls and Nets - what do they all have in common? A lot of black in their colour scheme. And they happen to sell a lot of merchandise. Combine that with Drake as the MLSE mascot, and it's a cash bonanza. And what does MLSE love more than winning sports teams? The almighty dollar.

Comment

When I think of black and gold apparel, I immediately think of this guy, for some reason....

Comment

everything is turning so drake-ish
                but love the black and love the gold even more
                What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

But they're really not. They have some national appeal as the only pro team in Canada, but they are really just Toronto's team. It can't be forgotten that lots of people in most other cities/provinces hate Toronto the city. HATE IT.

I'm sure there are Raps fans in Vancouver, but there are also surely fans of the Sonics (waiting for a return) and Blazers. In Windsor, a shortish drive from Toronto, I'm sure there are tons of Pistons fans. In Montreal, you're probably also going to find Celtics or Knicks fans. There may be fans in random cities with no proximity to other NBA towns who will choose popular or successful teams to cheer for, like the Lakers, Mavs, Heat, Spurs, Thunder, etc...rather than cheer for a team from the city they can't stand, and who hasn't given them much reason to cheer for them from a basketball standpoint.

Are their Raps fans all over Canada? Yes. Are they Canada's team? No, not really. It was just a marketing ploy to go with the re-branding away from the purple.
                  Well i'm from Vancouver

Fans here really are more of a Steve Nash fan. Like before they call the Phoenix Suns, Vancouver's fave basketball team. Now it's the Lakers.

I don't know many Blazers fans around here.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

Wait a sec...that was from Doug Smith, the only thing we can be sure of at this point is the colours won't be black and gold.

Comic Sans MS is the new Sarcasm

Comment

Hope that's not the case. Black/silver would be so different from what Raptor fans are used to, that the desired effect would still be reached.

Plus, who better to emulate (symbolically, that is) than the greatest pro sports franchise in the last 20 years?

And lastly, how often do we hear people say that the Pistons and Clippers too closely resemble each other?
                      Don't know. It's tougher when the franchise you resemble has been one of the biggest dynasties in all pro sports for the last 15 years.

No one has ever cared about the Clippers until now, when the Pistons suck. And when the Pistons were good, no one cared about the Clippers. They do have different enough styles though, so I guess you're right about that.

Anyway, I think you just really hate gold. That's fine. It can be a pretty disgusting choice if done wrong.

Comment

Black and gold? Looks like Drake's been smoking some of that Wiz Khalifa kush
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

purple black and gold looks nice too
                          just putting that out there
                          What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                          The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar

Comment

Don't know. It's tougher when the franchise you resemble has been one of the biggest dynasties in all pro sports for the last 15 years.

No one has ever cared about the Clippers until now, when the Pistons suck. And when the Pistons were good, no one cared about the Clippers. They do have different enough styles though, so I guess you're right about that.

Anyway, I think you just really hate gold. That's fine. It can be a pretty disgusting choice if done wrong.
                            Any talk of gold, and this is all I see:

lol

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Black and gold? Looks like Drake's been smoking some of that Wiz Khalifa kush

Comment

Any talk of gold, and this is all I see:

lol
                                I see your Flava Flav and raise you

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X