Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 92 of 92

Thread: NBA.com Power Rankings - Raps #12

  1. #81
    Raptors Republic Starter YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Dot
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Not necessarily. What we are lacking is development and consistency from Ross and JV, as well as a better bench - both of which are highly achievable. I also think we're lacking elite coaching, but we'll leave that for another debate.

    Overall, I agree with you. We've seen teams compete at high levels before without any superstars, but I really think that our x factor(s) are our young guys- T Ross, JV, as well as our front court's defence/ rebounding.

    Being top 10 in both Offensive and defensive efficiency is quite something, and I would credit that to DC and the coaching staff. He's no Popovich or Thibodeau, but he's been doing a good job this year.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."


    Demar Derozan

  2. #82
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,635
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    I believe ESPN's is simply points-per-game for and against. A team can have a higher PPG simply by playing at a fast pace, or a low PPG against by playing at a slow pace. Offensive efficiency is much more complex, but the key difference is that it looks at how you perform on a per-possession rate.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offensive_rating
    Oh okay. So would you say Offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency is more accurate than what espn shows?

  3. #83
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    To give you a simple answer, yes efficiency ratings are more accurate than ppg when determining which offence or defense contributes more to winning. (Although different sites have different formulas on efficiency, and you won't find agreement on which is the more accurate formula.)
    tank-agnostic

  4. #84
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They're still at #12. Anyway, I think this is a pretty good assessment of where they are in the league, as I would say they have a shot at a close second round series of 5-6 games if Lowry & Demar play as well as they have shown they can with contributions from everyone else like Ross and Valanciunas and Amir and Patterson.

  5. #85
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,635
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    To give you a simple answer, yes efficiency ratings are more accurate than ppg when determining which offence or defense contributes more to winning. (Although different sites have different formulas on efficiency, and you won't find agreement on which is the more accurate formula.)
    Oh okay. Well that's crazy to see how well we seem to be doing right now.

  6. #86
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For what it's worth, I like the team stats here:
    http://www.nbastuffer.com/2013-2014_...ced_Stats.html

    Because it has efficiency differential, which is very useful but hard to find: basically, offensive efficiency minus defensive efficiency. Toronto ranks 11th in that, and it's a realistic indicator of where we're at.

    Also, the Power Rankings chart here is a really useful way of seeing where teams are in terms of offensive and defensive ratings. And it really emphasizes which teams win because of offense (Portland), because of defense (Indiana to an absurd degree), or because of a balanced approach (Oklahoma, San Antonio, and to a lesser degree, Toronto).
    tank-agnostic

  7. #87
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    For what it's worth, I like the team stats here:
    http://www.nbastuffer.com/2013-2014_...ced_Stats.html

    Because it has efficiency differential, which is very useful but hard to find: basically, offensive efficiency minus defensive efficiency. Toronto ranks 11th in that, and it's a realistic indicator of where we're at.

    Also, the Power Rankings chart here is a really useful way of seeing where teams are in terms of offensive and defensive ratings. And it really emphasizes which teams win because of offense (Portland), because of defense (Indiana to an absurd degree), or because of a balanced approach (Oklahoma, San Antonio, and to a lesser degree, Toronto).
    Net Rating is available on NBA.com as well.

    http://stats.nba.com/leagueTeamGener...&sortOrder=DES

    We're currently 9th in the league.

  8. #88
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,720
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    CBS Sports has us at number 5.

    This team isn't necessarily young, fun and naive. It's just playing well. In a month we find out a lot more.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/2...-spurs-rockets
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  9. #89
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    That is a great line.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  10. #90
    Raptors Republic Superstar rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    4,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default




    amazing numbers.

  11. Like stooley, enlightenment liked this post
  12. #91
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hollinger ranking the raps ahead of: Mavs, Pacers, Bulls, Nets, Suns in most recent rankings.

    Screw Stein's rankings because he caters to the flavour of the month. Subjectiveness generally plays against the raps in the media.

  13. #92
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That is a great line.
    Raptors ahead of Heat? Is writer on crack? Wish it was true but it is not.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •