Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: NBA.com Power Rankings - Raps #12

Raptors Republic Starter YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Not necessarily. What we are lacking is development and consistency from Ross and JV, as well as a better bench - both of which are highly achievable. I also think we're lacking elite coaching, but we'll leave that for another debate.

Overall, I agree with you. We've seen teams compete at high levels before without any superstars, but I really think that our x factor(s) are our young guys- T Ross, JV, as well as our front court's defence/ rebounding.

Being top 10 in both Offensive and defensive efficiency is quite something, and I would credit that to DC and the coaching staff. He's no Popovich or Thibodeau, but he's been doing a good job this year.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."

Demar Derozan

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    I believe ESPN's is simply points-per-game for and against. A team can have a higher PPG simply by playing at a fast pace, or a low PPG against by playing at a slow pace. Offensive efficiency is much more complex, but the key difference is that it looks at how you perform on a per-possession rate.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offensive_rating
    Oh okay. So would you say Offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency is more accurate than what espn shows?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

To give you a simple answer, yes efficiency ratings are more accurate than ppg when determining which offence or defense contributes more to winning. (Although different sites have different formulas on efficiency, and you won't find agreement on which is the more accurate formula.)
    tank-agnostic

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

They're still at #12. Anyway, I think this is a pretty good assessment of where they are in the league, as I would say they have a shot at a close second round series of 5-6 games if Lowry & Demar play as well as they have shown they can with contributions from everyone else like Ross and Valanciunas and Amir and Patterson.

Post Thanks / Like

To give you a simple answer, yes efficiency ratings are more accurate than ppg when determining which offence or defense contributes more to winning. (Although different sites have different formulas on efficiency, and you won't find agreement on which is the more accurate formula.)
    Oh okay. Well that's crazy to see how well we seem to be doing right now.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, I like the team stats here:
    http://www.nbastuffer.com/2013-2014_...ced_Stats.html

Because it has efficiency differential, which is very useful but hard to find: basically, offensive efficiency minus defensive efficiency. Toronto ranks 11th in that, and it's a realistic indicator of where we're at.

Also, the Power Rankings chart here is a really useful way of seeing where teams are in terms of offensive and defensive ratings. And it really emphasizes which teams win because of offense (Portland), because of defense (Indiana to an absurd degree), or because of a balanced approach (Oklahoma, San Antonio, and to a lesser degree, Toronto).
    tank-agnostic

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it's worth, I like the team stats here:
    http://www.nbastuffer.com/2013-2014_...ced_Stats.html

Because it has efficiency differential, which is very useful but hard to find: basically, offensive efficiency minus defensive efficiency. Toronto ranks 11th in that, and it's a realistic indicator of where we're at.

Also, the Power Rankings chart here is a really useful way of seeing where teams are in terms of offensive and defensive ratings. And it really emphasizes which teams win because of offense (Portland), because of defense (Indiana to an absurd degree), or because of a balanced approach (Oklahoma, San Antonio, and to a lesser degree, Toronto).
    Net Rating is available on NBA.com as well.

http://stats.nba.com/leagueTeamGener...&sortOrder=DES

We're currently 9th in the league.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

CBS Sports has us at number 5.

This team isn't necessarily young, fun and naive. It's just playing well. In a month we find out a lot more.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/2...-spurs-rockets
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    That is a great line.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

amazing numbers.

11. Like stooley, enlightenment liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hollinger ranking the raps ahead of: Mavs, Pacers, Bulls, Nets, Suns in most recent rankings.

Screw Stein's rankings because he caters to the flavour of the month. Subjectiveness generally plays against the raps in the media.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That is a great line.
    Raptors ahead of Heat? Is writer on crack? Wish it was true but it is not.

Thread Information