No announcement yet.

RR's "What Are You Listening To?" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man, you are right Joey, Popper sure can blow a mean harp.

Recently I've been listening to Donny Hathaway. He was a true legend of soul from the late 60s/70s who died too young. You can feel this guys pain when he sings.

A couple of my favourites are below:

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

• .40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
      Here's a dope track I found from this same dude Skrillex
      Now I can listen to my three favorite Skrillex songs right from the raptors republic...

Comment

• Love the Donny Hathaway songs. Just before the summer they had a piece on him on national televion. I had rarely ever listened to him and still haven't, but I really should. It kinda reminds me of my study time when I (while studying at night) almost exclusively listened to some Nina Simone and almost every day (I studied) at least two or three times the cd 'piano reflections' by Duke Ellington. I nearly hate the big band stuff, but adored those songs.

Comment

• To add another genre: my favorite metal band by far just happens to be Canadian. So most of you guys know this band pretty well (No? Well, you should!). Strapping Young Lad with the genius frontman (and producer) Devin Townsend. They produce brilliant bombastic walls of sound coming right at you.

Again: play at high volume (but warn youre neighbours). I'll post a song that starts off reasonably easy on the ears to get acclimated (it distorts a bit on my pc sometimes, but that might just be my sound as it is the official video).

Comment

• Since we're on this kinda tip!

Comment

• Mose Allison blues classic:

Comment

• probably not everyone's speed... but i've been listening to the dropkick murphys a ton lately... they have a concert coming up soon in rochester that im making the trip for...

Comment

• possibly the greatest one hit wonder of all time eith the worst name.

oh, can't drop that without dropping this.

If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                    Mose Allison blues classic:

I have to admit that I've never heard of Mose Allison. Very nice stuff. The piano playing and style of singing reminds me of Nina Simone. I'm going to add him to my list of CDs I want to buy.
                    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

• You guys ever hear of Joey DeFrancesco?
                      Horrible looking man, but Holy Moly can he rock a Jazz Organ.

This one actually has Frank Vignola playing with him, which is a lovely treat.

For those who aren't familiar with Frank Vignola, he is an infinitely talented Guitar player that just so happens to look like Bill Gates:

That my good sirs is a couple of true aficionados right there.
                      Last edited by Joey; Wed Sep 14, 2011, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• Aloe Blacc, the new man of soul.

Last edited by e2thed; Sun Sep 18, 2011, 02:32 PM.
                        NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• Holy fuck!!

At the Kool Haus Oct 15.

Comment

• ah, man. this song just murders me.

There's no description of how badly they rip this song. they honestly just tear it a new asshole. just listen to chris cornell carry those ballads and then eddie comes in to just mellow it out. it's murder, i tell you, murder.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

• .40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post

Holy fuck!!

At the Kool Haus Oct 15.
                              meh, it's just a copy cat of daft punk. things that I can do in my basement with a few programs don't really impress me, music wise anyways.

Comment

• this is an amazing song

Comment

Working...
                                X