Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Question regarding a trade exception

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter imaginelino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    240
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Question regarding a trade exception

    Toronto Raptors have a $4,583,432 trade exception for Rudy Gay - expires 12/9/14

    How can we use this? What is the principle behind a trade exception. How valuable is this>

    Thanks guys

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We can essentially absorb $4,583,432 of salary without giving anything back.

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    when its a lopsided trade that doesn't match in terms of value, then the team gets a trade exception. that trade exception amount can be used to balance future trades that don't match up. i believe you have up to a year to use it.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic All-Star brothersteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    1,072
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote iblastoff wrote: View Post
    when its a lopsided trade that doesn't match in terms of value, then the team gets a trade exception. that trade exception amount can be used to balance future trades that don't match up. i believe you have up to a year to use it.
    A common misconception, but a trade exception cannot be used to "balance" a future trade. It must be used by itself.

    Basically, the Raptors can acquire a player (or multiple players) earning up to $4.5m (total) and not send a player back.

    As using the trade exception at the full value would put the Raptors into the luxury tax, it would have to be for a pretty good player - Toronto can only acquire about $3.6m in additional salary and stay out of the tax
    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

    Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Starter e_wheazhy_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote brothersteve wrote: View Post
    A common misconception, but a trade exception cannot be used to "balance" a future trade. It must be used by itself.

    Basically, the Raptors can acquire a player (or multiple players) earning up to $4.5m (total) and not send a player back.

    As using the trade exception at the full value would put the Raptors into the luxury tax, it would have to be for a pretty good player - Toronto can only acquire about $3.6m in additional salary and stay out of the tax
    Coincidentally, Greg Monroe is making exactly $4.5 million... basketball gods, you cheeky bastards. We see your signs, don't worry


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic All-Star iblastoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,267
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote brothersteve wrote: View Post
    A common misconception, but a trade exception cannot be used to "balance" a future trade. It must be used by itself.

    Basically, the Raptors can acquire a player (or multiple players) earning up to $4.5m (total) and not send a player back.

    As using the trade exception at the full value would put the Raptors into the luxury tax, it would have to be for a pretty good player - Toronto can only acquire about $3.6m in additional salary and stay out of the tax
    thanks for clarifying!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •