No announcement yet.

Zach Lowe's piece on the raps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Ross is better for a draft night trade. Will someone worthwhile enough become available to make the Raptors buyers during the season? Not so sure. But Ross, possibly with our own pick added, might be a pretty enticing package on draft night for any team not in the top 3-5.

Comment

Great piece by Zach. With the exception of Aflalo for Ross, I agree with everything he mentioned (not that he was pushing that trade, just noting it as an option).
      However, for the record, there are many directions I can live with - trade everyone and tank now, resign lowry and try to make a run with the current pieces.
      BUT, the one thing I can not live with is trading Ross or JV for a serviceable vet who might be better than they are now, but in the end is just a 4th or 5th starter type. The Aflalo deal would be exactly this, as would trading JV for someone like Pekovic or Gortat if you could resign him (which would be the comparable analogy)

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I like Love's game, but I'm not convinced he's the type of franchise player that's capable of turning a team around. Doesn't seem to make the players around him better.....unlike Pau Gasol did all those years in Memphis, or even KG in Minnesota.
        Less and less a fan of Love for this reason. Minnesota may not be oozing elite talent, but they have a pretty solid squad that can't seem to really make the leap, despite having two of the best low-post players in the league in Love and Pek, a solid PG who is good defensively and at distributing (but not a good enough shooter or scorer), and decent pieces filling in other gaps like Martin, Brewer, Mbah a Moute, Barea, Shved....I know the West is tough, but it's hard to say they're playing up to their on-paper talent level.

Comment

I really like the Ross/Afflalo deal.

Afflalo right now is a top 3 SG (production wise) on a relatively cheap contract (2 yrs/$15 mil after this year). If you can get him and off-load some extra salary (say, Chuck Hayes when he's eligible to be traded) to make the salaries match, then it's a great deal for both team. Orlando gets to tank more, get's a controllable asset they value and gets from under Afflalo's last year). Toronto can make a run, then at the draft, they have their draft pick, plus Afflalo to possibly move up in the draft.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            Only thing i didn't agree with in the article is that there's a drying market for Lowry. I think if anything it's heating up.

However, i don't think Masai is going to make out like a bandit in whatever he gets back, but if he brings in a good young prospect or a pick (not both) it'll be worthwhile.
            A lot of teams would love to have Lowry on their team, but the point Lowe is making is that they have nothing to offer, or are unwilling to give up future assets for a player that's basically a rental.

Comment

DirtyMikeSeaver wrote: View Post

Afflalo right now is a top 3 SG (production wise) on a relatively cheap contract (2 yrs/$15 mil after this year). If you can get him and off-load some extra salary (say, Chuck Hayes when he's eligible to be traded) to make the salaries match, then it's a great deal for both team. Orlando gets to tank more, get's a controllable asset they value and gets from under Afflalo's last year). Toronto can make a run, then at the draft, they have their draft pick, plus Afflalo to possibly move up in the draft.
              I have to admit .. Ill eat crow on this one. I hadnt followed Afflalo much this year but he is having a hell of a year (especially on a shitty team). Almost 22 PPG on 49% shooting (45% from 3) with a PER of almost 20. Maybe I should reconsider and give this potential move the due it deserves ... we would have to think really long and hard about this one.

Comment

DirtyMikeSeaver wrote: View Post

Trading Ross with a bad contract (Hayes or Fields) is intriguing.. but I think Ross is a better value contract than Afflalo.. meaning I think it would be easier to attract a top level talent in a trade with Ross over Afflalo. Ross has a rookie contract that can be controlled (two team options plus an RFA). Afflalo can opt out and be a free agent leaving the team without an asset in return (assuming he leaves).

If the Raptors are not really contenders (I would consider them potentially a 2nd round team but even that's not a guarantee with Afflalo) then I don't like the idea of swapping an asset for a less favourable one, even it means getting some cap space back. Fields and Hayes both expire at the end of next season.. so might as well just hold on to them and keep Ross as well.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                  I have to admit .. Ill eat crow on this one. I hadnt followed Afflalo much this year but he is having a hell of a year (especially on a shitty team). Almost 22 PPG on 49% shooting (45% from 3) with a PER of almost 20. Maybe I should reconsider and give this potential move the due it deserves ... we would have to think really long and hard about this one.
                  Afflalo is having a heck of a season.. should get Allstar nods. And I think that might be why Orlando is dangling him. They want to tank and he's the anti-tank commander for them.

Comment

"Masai is the boss," Casey says. "I'm a company guy. I've gotta go with him. I'm never going to talk about losing games on purpose. I won't even discuss it. [Management] doesn't bring it down here, but they have every right to talk about it. They have to think about the big picture. What I have to do is coach the guys we do have, and coach the heck out of them."

Great quote

Comment

Yeah, no thanks. Hopefully they stick with Ross.
                      Last edited by BigCamB; Thu Jan 9, 2014, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X