Zach Lowe's piece on the raps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iblastoff wrote: View Post
    Not sure how you're coming to this conclusion. Rudy gay has been shooting FG% career high in Sacramento right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Obviously from a small sample size. Also his turnover ratio is still high. The point I made about Rudy was how he was here. Rather than improve other aspects of his game for the next contract, he went unchecked, and chucked. I mean he didn't have Gasol and Randolph to keep him in check and now needs Boogie to do so. That's what I'm referring to.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
      If Lowry is moved, MU better get a decent haul. The thing that kinda gets me around these parts is that many believe that Lowry should be moved just for the sake of picks and being bad. Why? The guy is lights out. For those who believe that it's fool's gold, think about this for a second: Rudy Gay (although he has a fat option waiting for him) is also playing for his next contract. His play is in decline and the change of scenery didn't change a damn thing. It's possible the Lowry's play since the trade means that the current roster contains the right pieces that complements his game. I think that this team needs to really think about the importance of guard play in this guard-oriented league (see Phoenix). Even if they lose the next set of games against top East opponents, they need to really assess if Lowry fits with this group moving forward.
      You make good points and I am a bit torn especially since I was a proponent for when the original deal was made to acquire Lowry (Dragic was my first choice when both were in Houston). This is I believe Lowry's best year and also (coincidentally!) his contract year. He was decidedly out of shape last year which soured me on his "professionalism" and probably led to his injury/s. He has all the intangibles for me when he is on the floor as a pg the biggest...he is a bulldog and a alpha one at that...but will he always be that way once the long term deal is done and if the team falls on difficult times? I dont know but I like how he is playing right now of course.

Comment

Each year there seems to be a team that sort of comes out of nowhere and surpises everyone. Wouldn't it be great if Toronto could be that team this year like Golden State was last year? I mean just put the whole tanking debate to the side for a moment and purely from the perspective of being a fan, and enjoying the moment.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          You make good points and I am a bit torn especially since I was a proponent for when the original deal was made to acquire Lowry (Dragic was my first choice when both were in Houston). This is I believe Lowry's best year and also (coincidentally!) his contract year. He was decidedly out of shape last year which soured me on his "professionalism" and probably led to his injury/s. He has all the intangibles for me when he is on the floor as a pg the biggest...he is a bulldog and a alpha one at that...but will he always be that way once the long term deal is done and if the team falls on difficult times? I dont know but I like how he is playing right now of course.
          Ty Lawson, Eric Bledsoe, Kyle Lowry. Their physical makeup, bulldog mentality, knack for rebounding despite their size is rare. Everyone speaks of long-term but what if Lowry is the right piece moving forward?
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

If Lowry is moved, MU better get a decent haul. The thing that kinda gets me around these parts is that many believe that Lowry should be moved just for the sake of picks and being bad. Why? The guy is lights out. For those who believe that it's fool's gold, think about this for a second: Rudy Gay (although he has a fat option waiting for him) is also playing for his next contract. His play is in decline and the change of scenery didn't change a damn thing. It's possible the Lowry's play since the trade means that the current roster contains the right pieces that complements his game. I think that this team needs to really think about the importance of guard play in this guard-oriented league (see Phoenix). Even if they lose the next set of games against top East opponents, they need to really assess if Lowry fits with this group moving forward.
            I dont want to trade Lowry as a tank move.

-I want to trade him because I don't like the prospect of getting nothing for him.

-And beyond that, I still don't really like his game very much. He'd still have to do a lot better in the intangibles department, in terms of being a leader and showing it on the floor, for me to be sold...which maybe he can do, but he hasn't done enough yet and I don't want to re-invest in him long-term to find out. He's playing his best basketball maybe ever, and I still just don't quite like the way he plays PG, especially since we don't have a clear cut better player or leader for the team. There are obviously worse possibilities, as he brings a lot of positives, but yeah, so far he's just not my cup of tea.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Dec 31, 2013, 01:11 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              I dont want to trade Lowry as a tank move.

-I want to trade him because I don't like the prospect of getting nothing for him.

-And beyond that, I still don't really like his game very much. He'd still have to do a lot better in the intangibles department, in terms of being a leader and showing it on the floor, for me to be sold...which maybe he can do, but he hasn't done enough yet and I don't want to re-invest in him long-term to find out. He's playing his best basketball maybe ever, and I still just don't quite like the way he plays PG, especially since we don't have a clear cut better player or leader for the team. There are obviously worse possibilities, as he brings a lot of positives, but yeah, so far he's just not my cup of tea.
              Although we're not privy to what happens inside the locker room or practice floor, there's some suggestion that his tough love approach to JV and TR has proved to be valuable. I agree that Lowry walking without compensation is bad. I like how he's evolved but if he were to be dealt, nothing shy of a Harrison Barnes would make me happy. Beyond that, it's still pretty scary to just go with Vasquez. Guard play is just so critical IMHO. Also, removing Lowry literally puts them in no man's land.

Comment

Obviously from a small sample size. Also his turnover ratio is still high. The point I made about Rudy was how he was here. Rather than improve other aspects of his game for the next contract, he went unchecked, and chucked. I mean he didn't have Gasol and Randolph to keep him in check and now needs Boogie to do so. That's what I'm referring to.
                regardless, the two situations arent similar at all. rudy has a player option. thats not the same thing as playing in your contract year at all. so i still dont see the relevance of using rudys poor play (only in toronto) to prove that lowrys recent performance isn't fools gold. i like lowry, but i think your argument really falls short.

Comment

Although we're not privy to what happens inside the locker room or practice floor, there's some suggestion that his tough love approach to JV and TR has proved to be valuable. I agree that Lowry walking without compensation is bad. I like how he's evolved but if he were to be dealt, nothing shy of a Harrison Barnes would make me happy. Beyond that, it's still pretty scary to just go with Vasquez. Guard play is just so critical IMHO. Also, removing Lowry literally puts them in no man's land.
                  What you already bolded is the biggest problem....But if they're still roughly a .500 team near trade deadline, than keeping him is having the same effect.

Right now is obviously not the right time to deal him.

Originally edited this into my last post, but I'll put it here to spread out the length...

*There are at least 2 soon-to-be drafted players I like a lot more as floor leaders, and both quite different players skill-wise. From what I've seen of Smart and Ennis, they both seem like excellent floor generals. Ennis is more advanced as a 'run your offence' PG who just has a great feel for the team game on that end and is very steady, and Smart just seems to have that aura where his teammates always play harder on both ends with him around, just always making everyone want to play for the win at all costs. 2 of the key attributes are making your teammates comfortable, and making them consistently play at their highest level.

Smart will likely go in the top 5-6 of the draft, meaning realistically a trade might have to be the way to get him (Ross + our pick to move up? Just a random idea I've had). Ennis might be available in our actual range, and if we draft him I wouldn't mind re-signing Lowry if on a decent deal, as Ennis will have a bigger physical adjustment to make, but after a year or two, should hopefully be able to take over the reigns and we can deal an at or nearing 30 year-old Lowry.

**Lowry's age is something to keep in mind. He's hitting his prime a bit, or a lot, earlier than pieces like Jonas, DeMar and Ross if all are kept around.
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Dec 31, 2013, 01:13 PM.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                    regardless, the two situations arent similar at all. rudy has a player option. thats not the same thing as playing in your contract year at all. so i still dont see the relevance of using rudys poor play (only in toronto) to prove that lowrys recent performance isn't fools gold. i like lowry, but i think your argument really falls short.
                    Let's agree to disagree. Him being dropped by the Grizz was an indication of declining skill sets (there's plenty of statistical evidence to draw from). If you want to take Gay's uptick in FG% in Sacramento as gospel and take Lowry's play since the trade as fool's gold is fine by me. We both know who is more important to any franchise between the two players (and who is on the rise). And yes, Gay can rest on his option but he's still playing for his next contract, be it this year's or next.

Comment

What you already bolded is the biggest problem....But if they're still roughly a .500 team near trade deadline, than keeping him is having the same effect.

Right now is obviously not the right time to deal him.

Originally edited this into my last post, but I'll put it here to spread out the length...

*There are at least 2 soon-to-be drafted players I like a lot more as floor leaders, and both quite different players skill-wise. From what I've seen of Smart and Ennis, they both seem like excellent floor generals. Ennis is more advanced as a 'run your offence' PG who just has a great feel for the team game on that end and is very steady, and Smart just seems to have that aura where his teammates always play harder on both ends with him around, just always making everyone want to play for the win at all costs. 2 of the key attributes are making your teammates comfortable, and making them consistently play at their highest level.

Smart will likely go in the top 5-6 of the draft, meaning realistically a trade might have to be the way to get him (Ross + our pick to move up? Just a random idea I've had). Ennis might be available in our actual range, and if we draft him I wouldn't mind re-signing Lowry if on a decent deal, as Ennis will have a bigger physical adjustment to make, but after a year or two, should hopefully be able to take over the reigns and we can deal an at or nearing 30 year-old Lowry.

**Lowry's age is something to keep in mind. He's hitting his prime a bit, or a lot, earlier than pieces like Jonas, DeMar and Ross if all are kept around.
                      He doesn't turn 28 until next March. Just saying. Even with a 4 year contract, he'll be 32.

Comment

He doesn't turn 28 until next March. Just saying. Even with a 4 year contract, he'll be 32.
                        And he plays a style that in many seasons he's missed games due to injury. And he depends on his speed a lot. I don't like his long-term outlook physically. *Also have to consider he has a big frame at his size.

For example, because of being a warrior who took a beating (and admittedly had more serious physical issues pop up with his knees/ankles), our own former Raptor Alvin Williams was not the same player by the time he hit 30.

Comment

Dwane Casey, the Raps head coach, chuckles at the idea that Toronto has dramatically changed its offense since the Gay trade. "All the same sets," he says, smiling, though the equation has tilted a bit more toward the pick-and-roll.
                          Makes me want to with hold my judgement on Casey, because the offence certainly looks different.
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                            Makes me want to with hold my judgement on Casey, because the offence certainly looks different.
                            Well, also remember they brought in Nick Nurse to focus on the O. So while Casey may implement it, it's likely Nurse's design.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                              Well, also remember they brought in Nick Nurse to focus on the O. So while Casey may implement it, it's likely Nurse's design.
                              From my perspective it doesn't matter a damn which coach it originates from. The coaches are a team too, at least they have to be. The key point is that all the screaming for Casey's head because of the very poor offense, was misdirected. People are now saying "wow, where did this offense come from?", which is giving Casey a chuckle at the fan fickleness, that pinned all the blame on him, when he's been running the same offense all along. Nothing has changed but the players. As some people say, there's far too much finger pointing at the coach, whether things go bad or good.

Comment

"We out here like Michael Phelps"

- top Raps analogy of the year

Comment

Working...
                                X