Pacers@Raptors Game day thread: 1st game of 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nosike wrote: View Post
    Can someone summarize how the fuck we won this game??? I missed it, cliffs would be nice. Really regretting going out now
    Was at game. Great D timely 3's and getting Hibbert into foul trouble were keys to win. They played at high level for 3 quarters. Tenacious unrelenting D was awesome.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
      Hibbert got in foul trouble very early (four fouls by halfway through the second quarter) because Jonas was completely getting in his face, and Vogel sat him accordingly. That meant that Ian Mahinmi was the only rim-protecting big Vogel could play (since David West and Luis Scola aren't really rim protectors) and Casey took advantage by swarming the rim with our bigs, which in turn gave more spacing for the perimeter players to do their thing. The net result of this is that instead of the elite defense they normally have when Hibbert anchors, Indiana was only playing very good defense (and seriously, it was still really good D they were playing; they broke up three of the Ross-corner-three catch-and-shoots that have become a Raps staple). That, combined with the Raps playing stellar defense and Paul George having an off night (12 and 8 with three assists - for PG that's an off night), meant that when Hibbert fouled out in the fourth quarter it became academic.
      I'm just loving Jonas...well, I always have....but he just plays so hard, so physical, and you can tell it's the kind of game that just frustrates his opponent. Hibbert hit some shots he probably normally doesn't make, but Jonas totally owned him from an energy and impact perspective. And I freakin love Tyler, drawing that key 5th foul on Hibbert with his hustle under the glass. Banging down low is one of the most underrated talents for bigs, and one that's very rare among top tier bigs.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        I'm just loving Jonas...well, I always have....but he just plays so hard, so physical, and you can tell it's the kind of game that just frustrates his opponent. Hibbert hit some shots he probably normally doesn't make, but Jonas totally owned him from an energy and impact perspective. And I freakin love Tyler, drawing that key 5th foul on Hibbert with his hustle under the glass. Banging down low is one of the most underrated talents for bigs, and one that's very rare among top tier bigs.

Is it too soon to say Big Val can be better than Roy H. by the end of this season ??
        I think not

Comment

What's scary is Jonas has Tyler's mentality but is much more skilled and is a legit seven footer.

Comment

• Lowry's playing absolutely fantastic*

*contract year
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Nosike wrote: View Post
              What's scary is Jonas has Tyler's mentality but is much more skilled and is a legit seven footer.
              And less reckless, which is good given he plays that physical style.

Comment

The real question I've been wondering: if you keep both Lowry and Vasquez going into the offseason, do you re-sign them both, or do you sign one and try to acquire/draft your PG of the future? I'd prefer to keep one I think, and hope Tyler Ennis ends up available at our pick. Seen a couple of Orangemen games recently. He's a leader, he's a force as an offensive PG, and his game is years ahead of his age in terms of poise and maturity. I think he has a shot (not a sure thing, but a shot) to be a special NBA player, and might be the more realistic Canadian to build with given how we're doing right now.
                I'd be ecstatic with Ennis as our pick at the end of the year, but there is so much NCAA ball left to be played, we really have no idea where he'll be slotted. Regardless, if we drop Vasquez and put our backup responsibilities on a draft pick, that could be problematic if that pick isn't ready for NBA ball and we'd put even more weight onto Lowry's shoulders. What is stopping us from picking up Vasquez for another year on the qualifying offer, in addition to drafting a young PG? Worst case scenario is we see what we have with the rook-PG and then trade Vasquez at the deadline (or sooner).

Comment

• T-Ross is doing exactly what we drafted him to do.

I don't know what the hell to make of this team right now, but I am very happy to see our young pieces meeting expectations.

Comment

• Red and White wrote: View Post
                    I'd be ecstatic with Ennis as our pick at the end of the year, but there is so much NCAA ball left to be played, we really have no idea where he'll be slotted. Regardless, if we drop Vasquez and put our backup responsibilities on a draft pick, that could be problematic if that pick isn't ready for NBA ball and we'd put even more weight onto Lowry's shoulders. What is stopping us from picking up Vasquez for another year on the qualifying offer, in addition to drafting a young PG? Worst case scenario is we see what we have with the rook-PG and then trade Vasquez at the deadline (or sooner).
                    I think Ennis would be able to take up back up roles. His game is so freakin mature for such a young player. He really makes Syracuse the team they are, and they're 13-0. I would be confident it wouldn't take him too long to grow into a backup role as a rookie. And he could be a starter by his 2nd or 3rd year.

I'd hesitate to have him as a 3rd PG, though with a prospect who needs more work on skills, say like Semaj Christon, I'd be more ok with it. For Ennis I think you risk stalling his development.

*Admittedly it's not a huge risk either way.
                    Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Jan 2, 2014, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• My goodness Indiana are Gracious in Defeat ...

George Hill:
                      ''They played better than us tonight,'' Hill said. ''Normally we come out and have a tremendous third and fourth quarter but tonight, they hit first.
                      ''We're normally a team that hits first,'' Hill said. ''We're a smash mouth team. They came in and brought the pressure and turned us over more than we're normally getting turned over. They initiated it.''
                      Paul George:
                      ''This is a team that's getting better,'' Indiana's Paul George said of the Atlantic Division-leading Raptors. ''They have a lot of confidence and they're playing like it.''
                      ''I thought their energy was amazing,'' George said. ''Defensively, they played the style that we play. They just helped one another.''
                      Roy Hibbert:
                      ''We turned the ball over, we weren't doing our defensive assignments. They were the better team tonight, I can honestly say that.''

Comment

I think Ennis would be able to take up back up roles. His game is so freakin mature for such a young player. He really makes Syracuse the team they are, and they're 13-0. I would be confident it wouldn't take him too long to grow into a backup role as a rookie. And he could be a starter by his 2nd or 3rd year.

I'd hesitate to have him as a 3rd PG, though with a prospect who needs more work on skills, say like Semaj Christon, I'd be more ok with it. For Ennis I think you risk stalling his development.

*Admittedly it's not a huge risk either way.
                        I'd be interested to know if Masai has any plans of buying into the mid-late first round of the draft this year. The team will most likely be tied up financially (with resigning Lowry), and outside of some Masai trade magic, getting a couple rookies (even if they come from the 20s of the draft) could prove the cleanest way to inject more talent into this team (without losing parts of our core). No matter what people say, the talent in this draft runs deeper than the top 10. Patience and smart drafting could be the only way to improve this team going forward.
                        Last edited by Red and White; Thu Jan 2, 2014, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• Red and White wrote: View Post
                          I'd be interested to know if Masai has any plans of buying into the mid-late first round of the draft this year. The team will most likely be tied up financially (with resigning Lowry), and outside of some Masai trade magic, getting a couple rookie's (even if they come from the 20s of the draft) could prove the cleanest way to inject more talent into this team (without losing parts of our core). No matter what people say, the talent in this draft runs deeper than the top 10. Patience and smart drafting could be the only way to improve this team going forward.
                          That John Salmons contract with only $1m guaranteed combined with 2 second round picks could be a way of adding another mid first round pick

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            That John Salmons contract with only $1m guaranteed combined with 2 second round picks could be a way of adding another mid first round pick
                            I think deals like that are the way to go for making this team better. Masai's scouting background is all the more reason to go to the draft. I don't see a clearer way to improve.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              who are the non tax paying teams that can absorb salmons right now? i haven't checked. with a contender looking for wing defence (lebron/wade) we could make this deal but matching salaries would have to be sent back and then likely on our books for longer.

i think the contract gets traded right after the tax bills come due and before the 1 million buyout. i also think a contending team with tax worries might take the 2 second round, non guaranteed contracts, for a first rounder though.

Comment

• freaking new year. Missed another game.

So what's going on? We are the team who beats elite or wut?

Comment

Working...
                                X