Pacers@Raptors Game day thread: 1st game of 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magoon wrote: View Post
    A tax paying team can still trade for Salmons at the end of the season; that's when expiring deals have their biggest value.

Here's an example: let's say at the end of the season Lowry decides he wants to sign with the Knicks, for example (and you have to believe that the Knicks will chase him, because they'll be willing to throw big money at him). You would maybe trade Lowry, Salmons, Austin Daye and Chuck Hayes for Amare Stoudemire, the Knicks' pick this year after they swap with Denver (which is still probably a lottery pick), and probably more picks besides (this is how you land the 2018 and 2020 picks, probably; you take on one year of Amare). The Knicks decline to exercise the options on Salmons and Daye, freeing up $8 million of space, and now they can sign Kyle at up to $14m per year (I'd bet they'll probably offer close to it).

(As an aside: this is probably the best scenario for landing a lottery pick in 2014 that's left for us now, and it's still mediocre. Unless Stat retires, of course.)
    That particular scenario won't work, since Salmons has to be waived before next season, i.e. before Lowry can be signed. Otherwise Salmons contract becomes fully guaranteed. Same with Daye.

Those contracts would have to be traded before the trade deadline, if the Raptors don't want that cap space themselves. I suspect the most likely scenario is that the Raptors simply waive them and get the space.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      There is no question team is impressive.

However when the team is lead by a suddenly iron man, in shape PG who happens to be in contract year and rumours have swirled around possible trade, I think cautious pessimism is warranted.

The only thing holding me back from ditching all notions of high draft picks us the situation with Lowry. He goes via trade or injury and this team is effed, in my opinion.

Lowry has been playing great and it's looking more and more like MU is going to have to pay through the nose to keep him. There are other options out there though. Rondo may or may not be for sale. There is even an article on Real GM about the Rap's possibly being done with the rebuild already and suggesting that we make a play for Reggie Jackson from OKC. I think MU is too smart to not address our PG issue going into next season.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        Lowry has been playing great and it's looking more and more like MU is going to have to pay through the nose to keep him. There are other options out there though. Rondo may or may not be for sale. There is even an article on Real GM about the Rap's possibly being done with the rebuild already and suggesting that we make a play for Reggie Jackson from OKC. I think MU is too smart to not address our PG issue going into next season.
        Getting Jackson would be awesome, and I wouldn't consider that 'done with the rebuild', I'd think of it as getting a very good piece with star potential. And OKC might be just cheap enough to give him up like they did with Harden.

Re Lowry, I wonder if he's going to be expensive.

There just aren't that many teams that are likely to compete for his services. Few teams need point guards and fewer of them have cap space. I can think of Lakers and Magic as the only two teams where(1) Lowry would be a big upgrade, (2) that have cap space, and (3) that don't have a great prospect at PG. And Magic might not even qualify for that list, since they are trying to turn Oladipo into a point guard. On top of it, the 2014 draft is deep with point guards.
        Maybe add Houston, if they move Asik for an expiring. I like Lowry for them a lot. But there's bad history there between Lowry and McHale.

Now, some teams might want to sign and trade for Lowry, but Raptors would be in control in that situation.

So overall, the market might be small.
        Last edited by BobLoblaw; Thu Jan 2, 2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          If Raptors play like they did today that game is gonna be epic! I can see a new rivalry forming in the East.

Now, how to convice my wife that we NEED a new big screen tv?
          I am in the fortunate position of having a wife convince ME we needed one. Got it in time for the last two games. Luvin' it! 50 inches of Raptor ball in awesome colour. Samsung...good piece of electronics.

Comment

• How about JV's play over the last four games, against Chandler, Noah and Hibbert. He was clearly the better C in all four games. Gonna be interesting watching him the rest of the season.

Man, if he can get that 15 footer to drop consistently (which I recall him doing when he first came over) he is going to be a handful for any team to deal with and wouldn't you like to see the other teams centers forced to come out to cover him consistently?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
              How about JV's play over the last four games, against Chandler, Noah and Hibbert. He was clearly the better C in all four games. Gonna be interesting watching him the rest of the season.

Man, if he can get that 15 footer to drop consistently (which I recall him doing when he first came over) he is going to be a handful for any team to deal with and wouldn't you like to see the other teams centers forced to come out to cover him consistently?
              Jonas has been playing great. My only gripe is the predictable pump fake. I don't think he realizes he's even doing it anymore. It's such an ingrained habit for that no longer serves any purpose.

He's got to start taking that shot.

Comment

• Brandon wrote:
                Lowry is now 8th in the league in Win Shares. He's ahead of a lot of all-stars. It's true that this season so far is his best in terms of efficiency, but it just might be a better situation for him than previous teams. In other words, maybe he's a contract-year-hero, maybe not.
                It has never been about his game - except when Casey was attempting to Jose him.

It has always been body and conditioning.

Comment

There is no question team is impressive.

However when the team is lead by a suddenly iron man, in shape PG who happens to be in contract year and rumours have swirled around possible trade, I think cautious pessimism is warranted.

The only thing holding me back from ditching all notions of high draft picks us the situation with Lowry. He goes via trade or injury and this team is effed, in my opinion.
                  Only way he stays is if they go to the conference finals.

I think anyhow.

but who knows. If this team finishes the season with 45-50 wins, lowry may want to be here. Toronto, has some draft picks over the next 3 years, they aren't in bad shape. Maybe he likes the situation, heavens knows he's grown as a person and a player while playing here. Who knows.

But then, he does have an agent....agents dont like Canada

Comment

• Dino Might
                    It's a new year for the Raptors. And after a win over Indy, it might be time to view Toronto in a new light.
                    Daily Dime » Toronto hits .500 » Highlights
                    Espn headline

Comment

It has never been about his game - except when Casey was attempting to Jose him.

Be interesting to know how much influence Alex McKechnie's work has had in terms of getting/keeping Lowrie in shape for this year. Wouldn't it be nice if it continued on into the future (if Lowry stays with the team)? McKechnie has the rep of revitalizing player on the Lakers before he got to the Raps.

Maybe in the future it won't have to be about "body and conditioning."

Comment

How did I miss this little gem of ridiculous.

Casey did what?

Only thing that could have made that comment worse would be the use of the ridiculous word "castrate".

Coach Casey has asked KL to do what he is now doing. He has been asking for this from day one. Lowry wasn't doing it. He couldn't.

Do you ever think that in terms of time and development. Just think about it. Do you think it's possible that Lowry had issues in his head, with is ego, with his body, that would allow for proper team leading as a PG? Do you think that it maybe simply took time to transition and mature?

I will give you a place to start. I havent looked, but I would bet if you do, you will see he is getting his assists form different places on the court than he did in his past. Not all last second bailout dishes anymore of broken attempts to score..you know, when he wasn't being Jose's, and he had his bad bad balls. You see, that KL, even if it looked good, wasn't a good "Point guard". He didn't get his team involved, didnt run the offence, and refused to trust his teammates.

Casey asked Lowry to be the best point guard he could be, and that is a HARD thing to ask ,because its a hard position. What I see now, is a guy finally playing for his coach, and his team, and the result, he is a much better player for himself. And thats good for everyone.

Credit to casey my friend.

Comment

• Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
                            How did I miss this little gem of ridiculous.

Casey did what?

Only thing that could have made that comment worse would be the use of the ridiculous word "castrate".

Coach Casey has asked KL to do what he is now doing. He has been asking for this from day one. Lowry wasn't doing it. He couldn't.

Do you ever think that in terms of time and development. Just think about it. Do you think it's possible that Lowry had issues in his head, with is ego, with his body, that would allow for proper team leading as a PG? Do you think that it maybe simply took time to transition and mature?

I will give you a place to start. I havent looked, but I would bet if you do, you will see he is getting his assists form different places on the court than he did in his past. Not all last second bailout dishes anymore of broken attempts to score..you know, when he wasn't being Jose's, and he had his bad bad balls. You see, that KL, even if it looked good, wasn't a good "Point guard". He didn't get his team involved, didnt run the offence, and refused to trust his teammates.

Casey asked Lowry to be the best point guard he could be, and that is a HARD thing to ask ,because its a hard position. What I see now, is a guy finally playing for his coach, and his team, and the result, he is a much better player for himself. And thats good for everyone.

Credit to casey my friend.
                            Sorry but I call bullshit. More than happy to agree to disagree though.

Lowry is playing like he did with Adelman in Houston (but better) and as he started last year in 3 games prior to injury.

He is driving, he is attacking, he is taking 3s when they are open after ball movement or pull up in transition.

The offense after looking very similar to a high school team the last 2 years is starting to look like an NBA team - and I don't believe that is Casey at all.

But Casey deserves a lot of credit for keeping the faith of this team and getting them to work hard. Very rare for that to happen after all their losing and roster turnover. It speaks to him but also the character of the locker room, too.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

Stunning!

I'm caught in this place where I want this to be real, but am deathly afraid I'm going to wake up from this dream any minute now.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Jonas has been playing great. My only gripe is the predictable pump fake. I don't think he realizes he's even doing it anymore. It's such an ingrained habit for that no longer serves any purpose.

He's got to start taking that shot.
                                I'm sure he will with time.

I think people are really letting the pump fake get to them too much. It basically just means that his instincts tell him that as a big man, he should be trying to score closer to the basket. This is not a bad thing at all.

And while he should maybe take a couple more jumpers per game, you don't want him just jack it every time he gets it.

And while he does it a lot, it's a totally no-consequence move. If he doesn't pump-fake it's the same as him doing it and the guy not biting: in other words, he's starting his move from the exact same spot/situation. If the guy does bite it opens up more options. Again, there is really no consequence to him doing it.

Just take a deep breath, remind yourself he's just 21, and be thankful he doesn't do 32 pump fakes before every move, like Bosh used to when with us. ....And Bosh often settled for the jumper....

Comment

Working...
                                X